Too much road imperfection transmitting through steering wheel (need help!)

jinmoopyo

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hello all, first time writing on this forum. I am having some issues and I really need some help finding solutions.

Issue:
Too much road imperfection transmitting to steering wheel. Issue started happening about 400 miles ago.

Background:
I got my model 3 in June and loved it, but 4 weeks in out of no where I was feeling strange amplified road feel coming off of steering wheel. I could feel every thread of tire and road imperfection. It persist regardless of speed, weather and temperature, road surface. This road feel / vibration amplifies when road is not smooth. This happened after driving it for about 1600 miles (currently have 2k miles). Before, steering wheel was dampened with slight feedback and nicely muted, but now it's transmitting every road imperfection. I had Lane Departure warning turn on and it was getting very annoying, so I turned it off. Ever since then (maybe just the timing coincident) this started to occur. I lowered tire pressure to 40PSI, but nothing helped.

SC performed following:
They re-torqued suspension components for all wheels and performed wheel alignment.

Issue still persist and I can't seem to figure out what it is that is causing this. Has anyone experienced this or any clue? I don't think it's the suspension since they re-torqued all suspension parts. Could it be the steering shaft or rack not filtering out this kind of vibration? Could it be the Lane Departure Warning sensor causing loosening the joint? I am just clueless... I had to set up an another appointment, but I am afraid they will just brush off.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? Any possible guess would be appreciated!

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had Lane Departure warning turn on and it was getting very annoying, so I turned it off. Ever since then (maybe just the timing coincident) this started to occur.
have you tried to turn this back on to see if there is a connection?

jinmoopyo

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
have you tried to turn this back on to see if there is a connection?
I did... and it's same... :( Could it be the alignment set up? Toe-in vs Toe-out? Car is moving straight now and oscillation is not as harsh as before, but it is still transmitting all road imperfection.

jinmoopyo

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm not an owner (yet), but first thing that comes to mind is to ask which steering mode you're in. I believe the options are sport, standard, and comfort.
I tried all drive settings and it's not different other than the weight of steering. :( Could it be the alignment set up? Toe-in vs Toe-out? Car is moving straight now and oscillation is not as harsh as before, but it is still transmitting all road imperfection. Any components that could dampen the road feel?

JabBauer

Country
Country
Set steering mode to comfort. You also may need to get used to driving a Tesla. What kind of vehicle did you come from driving?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/rattle-from-behind-steering-wheel.6587/

My TM3 is in SC right now for that problem and some small things ( torque suspension/panel gaps..etc) , the tech that drove my car with me to duplicate the problem calls it .. Steering rack chuckle. Apparently, this is common for Model Sssss..no solution for it but I think they are working on it. We'll see when I get my 3 back, hopefully today.

jinmoopyo

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

My TM3 is in SC right now for that problem and some small things ( torque suspension/panel gaps..etc) , the tech that drove my car with me to duplicate the problem calls it .. Steering rack chuckle. Apparently, this is common for Model Sssss..no solution for it but I think they are working on it. We'll see when I get my 3 back, hopefully today.
Thanks for the reply! Were you able to fix the problem??

Bravedog

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

The model S loaner that I had was horrible. The funny thing was that it was the lane departure warning vibration. Feels exactly like rumble strips but I had no idea.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Does anyone who posted here have any update / fix on this? I’m having the same issue with my M3 for the last several thousand miles. I have been to the Plano, TX service center around 6-7 times now trying to get this sorted, and have spent over $1500 out of pocket to replace hubs, tires etc. at Tesla’s recommendation, but to no avail. Selling the car again if I can’t get this fixed.

Reflex

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm not sure I have exactly this problem (500 miles in), but I am not impressed with the M3 front suspension. My last three cars handle rough pavement decidedly more impressively than the M3 (2015 Mazda CX5, 2015 BMW 228i, 2016 VW Golf). The booming and (almost) rattling sounds from the M3 front end over rough pavement remind me of some of the cars I drove back in the eighties. Somehow, driving with my family yesterday, this aspect of the car (combined with the excessive noise on the freeway) made me start to wonder if I jumped off the ICE too soon.

evans2688

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am having a somewhat similar problem in that occasionally the steering wheel will start to vibrate, apparently due to road imperfections. It seems to be a sympathetic vibration from the road surface and the car. It only lasts a couple of seconds and then goes away but it is very noticeable (and disturbing). I have not taken it in for servicing yet but I am curious if anyone else has experienced this.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am having a somewhat similar problem in that occasionally the steering wheel will start to vibrate, apparently due to road imperfections. It seems to be a sympathetic vibration from the road surface and the car. It only lasts a couple of seconds and then goes away but it is very noticeable (and disturbing). I have not taken it in for servicing yet but I am curious if anyone else has experienced this.
Actually, that sounds like "lane departure warning". It vibrates the steering wheel when you get too close to a line on the road.
Turn that setting off and see if that solves your problem.

Reflex

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Actually, that sounds like "lane departure warning". It vibrates the steering wheel when you get too close to a line on the road.
Turn that setting off and see if that solves your problem.
I can't speak for @evans2688, but what I experience is distinctly different (I have turned off LDW). It isn't a vibration, but rather a knocking sound (transmitted to the car). I agree with the sentiments that this car on a smooth road is impressive (very 2-series w/sport suspension-like). I chose the 18" wheels (in hopes of taming ride harshness). I have them set at 40 PSI. In the end, it could simply be the tires. When they wear down, I will explore other options (maybe summer run-flat tires, since I live in San Diego). I am aware of the irony of that last statement!

Magnets!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I can't speak for @evans2688, but what I experience is distinctly different (I have turned off LDW). It isn't a vibration, but rather a knocking sound (transmitted to the car). I agree with the sentiments that this car on a smooth road is impressive (very 2-series w/sport suspension-like). I chose the 18" wheels (in hopes of taming ride harshness). I have them set at 40 PSI. In the end, it could simply be the tires. When they wear down, I will explore other options (maybe summer run-flat tires, since I live in San Diego). I am aware of the irony of that last statement!
You don't want run-flat tires if you are looking to tame ride harshness.

Reflex

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You don't want run-flat tires if you are looking to tame ride harshness.
The run-flat was a joke -- implying that they wouldn't be as bad as those I have! My 228i had run-flats, and it was much quieter on the freeway. I would try to avoid them, if I could. I would LOVE to have a real spare in the trunk (actual replacement wheel like in the old days) and a proper jack, etc. Alas, I think I will just have to accept my fate. It's all good!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hello all, first time writing on this forum. I am having some issues and I really need some help finding solutions.

Issue:
Too much road imperfection transmitting to steering wheel. Issue started happening about 400 miles ago.

Background:
I got my model 3 in June and loved it, but 4 weeks in out of no where I was feeling strange amplified road feel coming off of steering wheel. I could feel every thread of tire and road imperfection. It persist regardless of speed, weather and temperature, road surface. This road feel / vibration amplifies when road is not smooth. This happened after driving it for about 1600 miles (currently have 2k miles). Before, steering wheel was dampened with slight feedback and nicely muted, but now it's transmitting every road imperfection. I had Lane Departure warning turn on and it was getting very annoying, so I turned it off. Ever since then (maybe just the timing coincident) this started to occur. I lowered tire pressure to 40PSI, but nothing helped.

SC performed following:
They re-torqued suspension components for all wheels and performed wheel alignment.

Issue still persist and I can't seem to figure out what it is that is causing this. Has anyone experienced this or any clue? I don't think it's the suspension since they re-torqued all suspension parts. Could it be the steering shaft or rack not filtering out this kind of vibration? Could it be the Lane Departure Warning sensor causing loosening the joint? I am just clueless... I had to set up an another appointment, but I am afraid they will just brush off.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? Any possible guess would be appreciated!

Hey jinmoopyo,
Any update with your issue.
I’ve been dealing with SC for the past three months for a similar issue. My Model 3 pulls to the right and it’s harder to steer to the left than to the right. I also feel a lot the imperfections of the road and I find it difficult to keep the car straight... please let me know. Thanks!!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just booked appointment number EIGHT to try to get this fixed. The Plano service center basically shrugged and said “We’ve tried all we can think of at this point” last time, so I’m now going rogue and heading for mobile service and the other SC here in Dallas.

As I mentioned in my first post, I’ve bought four new tires (Michelin Pilot Sports), new hubs, road force balanced tires, had two alignments done and I’m still at square nothing.

To confirm (yet again) that I’m not going insane, I’ve driven THREE other Model 3s, all perfectly normal and drove exactly the way my car used to. Sporty but smooth, no grinding being transmitted through the steering wheel.

If my last two outs in mobile service and Service Center #2 don’t pan out, I might drop by Austin SC next time I’m in town, and if THAT doesn’t work.... you’ll find a beautiful M3 for sale in Dallas. No test drives allowed though. LOL

Last edited:

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just booked appointment number EIGHT to try to get this fixed. The Plano service center basically shrugged and said “We’ve tried all we can think of at this point” last time, so I’m now going rogue and heading for mobile service and the other SC here in Dallas.

As I mentioned in my first post, I’ve bought four new tires (Michelin Pilot Sports), new hubs, road force balanced tires, had two alignments done and I’m still at square nothing.

To confirm (yet again) that I’m not going insane, I’ve driven THREE other Model 3s, all perfectly normal and drove exactly the way my car used to. Sporty but smooth, no grinding being transmitted through the steering wheel.

If my last two outs in mobile service and Service Center #2 don’t pan out, I might drop by Austin SC next time I’m in town, and if THAT doesn’t work.... you’ll find a beautiful blue M3 for sale in Dallas. No test drives allowed though. LOL
Do the technicians feel the same problem you take it in for? Obviously you've driven others and compared. Do other people feel this driving your car? All reports that I've ever had, most long term Tesla owners in DFW all go to Plano because they have a much better experience than with the SC down on Mockingbird. I've got very little experience with the Mockingbird SC, but it wasn't impressive.