John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Per Elon's tweet:

I dropped by the Fremont Delivery Center Saturday morning to help.

At first there was a little awkwardness as they figured out how to use volunteers, but by the time I left they had it down pretty well. "John, can you help the couple over in spot 22?"

There were Model S, X, and 3 owners there to help. Not sure how many; I'd guess 10-20. But it's hard to count in the crowd. They gave us red "Guest" badges, and that helped staff find us when they needed us.

At lunch time, one of them grabbed me and said, "Hey, we have pizza in the back. Hungry?"

People were universally grateful for the help. I helped people while they sat at their paperwork table (not while doing paperwork), around the Model 3 static display, in my car that I had parked in the lot, and in their own cars. I probably helped about a dozen families in the time that I was there. The staff gets feedback on how you do, and once they hear good things and trust you they work you.

Owners don't work for the company, they aren't selling anything, and they have extended day-to-day experience with the car. If you are a friendly, helpful sort you can do a lot of good for people in a stressful time. Sometimes it's just giving them something to do during a long wait. In any event, I felt appreciated.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Fun stuff. I think the Dallas SC got nervous when that tweet went out. They had the local Tesla club post on the FB groups to please don't show up to help without them reaching out. lol. There are a couple of reports that the Dallas SC is now delivering close to or over 100 cars a day. It' just a normal SC with maybe 20 to 30 extra parking spots that aren't taken on a daily basis. Their staging lot a couple of miles away has easily had over 100 cars in it consistently and many trucks per day are seen unloading. I could understand how they were just afraid of having to manage even more people that could just as easily be in the way if there wasn't a good plan in place.

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Fun stuff. I think the Dallas SC got nervous when that tweet went out. They had the local Tesla club post on the FB groups to please don't show up to help without them reaching out. lol. There are a couple of reports that the Dallas SC is now delivering close to or over 100 cars a day. It' just a normal SC with maybe 20 to 30 extra parking spots that aren't taken on a daily basis. Their staging lot a couple of miles away has easily had over 100 cars in it consistently and many trucks per day are seen unloading. I could understand how they were just afraid of having to manage even more people that could just as easily be in the way if there wasn't a good plan in place.
Yeah, that's totally understandable, because if you read Reddit posts on topic, you'll see that everyone's first reaction is to worry about how it could go wrong.

But a couple of common-sense factors mitigate potential problems:

1. Nobody gets help that doesn't want it.
  2. Volunteers don't help or deal with problems, just fun "How To" stuff. They are like grandparents in this regard.
  3. Turns out people frequently appreciate patient help.
  4. There are plenty of people who do not learn from User Guides and Videos, but who RELY on verbal instructions. Like, plenty of people. (No one reading this, though.)
It's like Autopilot—after you actually experience it you're like, "Oh. That's actually pretty useful."

Probably the worst thing that could happen is someone volunteering who has obvious interpersonal issues, or who tends to fixate on problems and bad things that have happened in the past. That could be a real bummer to a new owner. "Oh, you won't believe how they screwed me this one time..."

That's no bueno. Be there to help. Remember it's a super cool day for them. Help where you can. Don't over-do it.

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Cool I was wondering if I should, would you recommend me offering to help Sunday?
Absolutely! That's cool you would volunteer.

I will say it's surprisingly tiring to smile and teach for hours. But it's also gratifying, and people are super-appreciative.

Just say to new owners, "I was in your shoes. I've owned the car for a while. Anything you're wondering about?" If they know they need help, there are a few questions to ask to calibrate:

1. Is this your first Tesla? (So you can skip the basics and not bore them if there's stuff they already know)
  2. Have you read a lot about how the Model 3 (or whatever car(s) you have owned) works already? (many people I helped knew, like, NOTHING, surprising, right?)
  3. What are you going to do for charging? (people have lots of basic questions about this)
  4. Did you buy Autopilot? (so you can skip that explanation if not, and give them practical tips if they have)
Honestly, just anything you can help them with is cool. The basic stuff.

One of my favorite things to start with is, "I was sitting exactly where you are six months ago. It's not an inexpensive car, and I worried that the excitement would wear off after a month and I'd regret it later. But I haven't—I still am excited by it every day. You're going to LOVE it!" At least a few of the families I was talking to visibly relaxed at that, and laughed. It's on a lot of peoples' minds.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
This is really heart-warming and super refreshing in an age of worry, liability, negativity, and divisiveness.

I'm still trying to figure out how the media is going to try to put a negative spin on this!

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This is really heart-warming and super refreshing in an age of worry, liability, negativity, and divisiveness.

I'm still trying to figure out how the media is going to try to put a negative spin on this!
My guess is it will be because someone like me or @Park2670 wanders in to the delivery center wearing a Tesla t-shirt and starts giving out misinformation. I wore the t-shirt to my delivery on Friday and got lots of "likes" from the employees. Still no die cast model, though. :(:D

Country
Country

Tesla showrooms undergoing delivery hell, can’t get it together. CEO desperately asking current owners to help amidst the chaos. ;)

tivoboy

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I’ve got three days free this week. I’m goin to head to Fremont and see if they need help during the weekdays. Where does one go specifically. Is it the offsite delivery building in that business park?

msjulie

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I did about 4 hours today, mostly just random questions but one occasion was a full fledged 'delivery' as the couple had all their paperwork and the delivery rep had to run so mostly they were trying to figure it out on their own.

Decent showing of 'Guests" today (they give the volunteers Guest badges); it was informative and fun to help the new owners out. Most folks very excited to get their new cars.

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I did about 4 hours today, mostly just random questions but one occasion was a full fledged 'delivery' as the couple had all their paperwork and the delivery rep had to run so mostly they were trying to figure it out on their own.

Decent showing of 'Guests" today (they give the volunteers Guest badges); it was informative and fun to help the new owners out. Most folks very excited to get their new cars.
Great that you did this!

Next weekend I think I may see how many Krispy Kremes fit in the trunk of a Model 3. I'll mark all of the boxes "❤M3OC" or some such to give us some pub for it...

ncsmith4

Country
Country
I did about 5 hours of delivery volunteering in Marina Del Rey today and it was so much fun! It’s so cool getting to talk to people about this car I love so much and get them excited too. And the Tesla staff were SO appreciative.

I really had a good time. I hope the new Tesla owners I helped today did too!

Lovesword

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This is so awesome! Great all around story, I LOVE IT! I feel like I'm missing out having not done this so far! Jealous, as @JWardell perfectly worded it!

I sent an email to Westmont offering my services this Thursday and Friday and received a response saying thank you, but they weren't sure how to handle it as they've not received any guidance. They're going to get back to me so I'll have to wait and see. Definitely not just going to drive up without hearing back, that's a 2-3 hour drive so I'd like to be certain my help would be needed/wanted before I just head up.

Keep at it all! On one side of the war is big oil, gas companies, every other car company on the planet.... on the other is Tesla and US!!!