To FSD or not to FSD - that is the question?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

MartyF

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Greetings fellow forum members.

I take delivery of my Model 3 one week from today...on August 18th. It’s a dual motor with EAP.

Prior to delivery, I can upgrade to FSD for $3,000. I’m aware that a new upgraded 3.0 computer will be swapped for free in 2019 for FSD option holders. So here is my question: Are there any benefits operationally with this new computer when using EAP or any other feature set in the car before FSD becomes a reality?

I believe it will be a substantial amount of time before FSD is implemented. If during this time there are still extra features or improved operational capabilities available as a result of the new 3.0 computer & FSD feature set, it might make sense to upgrade now for the lower price. But, if it is only advantageous when FSD becomes a realty at some future date, it might pay to pass on it for now.

Additionally, not sure of the extra value that FSD might add if traded/sold for another Tesla like the model Y?

slacker775

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I went with FSD as part of my whole thing with the car is the potential ability for it to drive itself. I was on the fence since there is the question of how long it will be before it actually becomes available, but then the 9.0 tease indicating that there would start to be some FSD capabilities. Couple that with the 2K post-delivery bump and 3K seemed a lot better than 5K. Unfortunately, nobody really knows the answers to your questions, everything is just speculation at this point. One scenario: you get FSD pre-delivery, 9.0 comes out and all kinds of new capabilities start rolling out. You get the ‘free’ computer upgrade with all kinds of new bells and whistles without having to pay more and are the envy of all your friends and neighbors. Or another scenario: you get FSD now, but 9.0 comes out with no FSD stuff, just more promises. Next year comes and goes and maybe they toss out some party-trick like feature just to say there is something with FSD. Maybe 2020 comes and they finally upgrade the computer and there is more FSD capability, but not really ‘FULL’. It’s a gamble any way you slice it. My philosophy was that I wanted that capability and I could swing the 3K ‘loan to Tesla’ now for it. Plus this meant I didn’t have to agonize later when features start rolling out of “do I or do I not” or have to wait to get an upgrade because I’m behind all the folks that ordered with FSD.

A lot of people give Tesla and Elon a lot of crap, trying to say they dont ever deliver but history shows they actually do deliver. Just not quite on their original timelines.

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
A lot of people give Tesla and Elon a lot of crap, trying to say they dont ever deliver but history shows they actually do deliver. Just not quite on their original timelines.
Or at their original price. Or to their original feature set. Other than that....:D Seriously, I'm still on the fence for all the reasons you give. There are numerous scenarios between the two you outline, which is likely where the reality ends up. It's a $3,000 gamble, but may be worth taking.

littlD

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
And who can predict when FSD arrives or, more importantly, when government agencies are WILLING to ok its use?

That's the main reason I didn't purchase it ahead of time.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Part of me is starting to regret not getting FSD. I am very unlikely to spend $5,000 out of pocket on my car moving forward whereas $3,000 at time of purchase is much more reasonable.

That said, I don’t have a great appreciation for what FSD will start to allow for where EAP ends and I might never get value at $3k or $5k...

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
One reason to wait is to give more time for incremental improvements to the hardware to be developed. I'd rather have v3.1 or v3.2 than v3.0. If I buy FSD up front, then I expect I'd get v3.0.

firelegend

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just knowing how until VERY recently AP1 cars were better then AP2 for YEARS.... I didn't buy any of it. If EAP has a good price/deal I will think about it. IMHO it's all hype. It will get there but its slow as all get out and those who have driven the cars with AP1 and then driven the ones with AP2 just earlier this year know the deal.

Brian N

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I will definitely be checking that box. Amortized over the life of my car loan I won’t notice it much.

I know I will want it eventually once it FSD features start rolling out. Whether that is a couple months or a couple years. Out of pocket will hurt much more if I decide to wait till later.

Last edited:

NR4P

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Government regulations are the big unknown with FSD. What if my State doesn't allow it? So I opted not to spend the $ upfront. And maybe there will be some deal later like folks with S models got when new features came about. Guess we will all see.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
With what we know now (I ordered back in April and June delivery) I might have added FSD for the $3000. Much harder to swallow now at $5K. It was suspected and discussed that if new or additional hardware would be needed that those that paid for it up front would likely get it free, and Elon has confirmed that.

If I had it to do over again I would add it up front.

firelegend

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't have EAP and to put that and FSD would be like 7k EXTRA and thats a way higher payment. I wanted my payment low, and didn't want to pay interest on an invisible feature. Better to pay cash if you get FSD to avoid paying interesting IMHO.

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Not getting either EAP or FSD. And seriously, $3k vs. $5k.... you could put that $3k into TSLA and get a much better return - because if Tesla gets to the point of *true* full self driving, the stock boost will be way more than just 67% ;) Heck, just buying stock today and waiting for the privatization buyout would cover more than a quarter of the price difference between "immediate" and "waiting".

I'd get them if they were cheaper, but Tesla charges way too much for its autonomy products.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't have EAP and to put that and FSD would be like 7k EXTRA and thats a way higher payment. I wanted my payment low, and didn't want to pay interest on an invisible feature. Better to pay cash if you get FSD to avoid paying interesting IMHO.
To clarify it’s $8k for both at purchase, $11k for both after after purchase.

Only FSD $3k ($5k after purchase) is “invisible” though all we know is that the first set of FSD exclusive features is coming soon per Elon via Twitter.

If you think you want FSD in any capacity during your time of ownership the best play is to get it up front.

Let’s say you finance for 5 years at 4% (I’m not sure what the rates are today). The $3,000 you spend on FSD costs you $3,315 which is of course cheaper than $5,000. It increases your loan by $55/month.

Alternatively if you took the $3,000 and invested if you would need to make 66.666% returns on it just to break even (not considering taxes on the gains) buying FSD later for $5k.

I opted to not get FSD. I think I regret it in the sense that I’ll never pay $5k to add it now. That said, I’m not sure what features it will get over the next few years and if those would even be worth my $3k to begin with...

Brian N

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Not getting either EAP or FSD. And seriously, $3k vs. $5k.... you could put that $3k into TSLA and get a much better return - because if Tesla gets to the point of *true* full self driving, the stock boost will be way more than just 67% ;) Heck, just buying stock today and waiting for the privatization buyout would cover more than a quarter of the price difference between "immediate" and "waiting".

I'd get them if they were cheaper, but Tesla charges way too much for its autonomy products.
Well my plan is to do both. :D

I can get the FSD and invest in TSLA. Since it’s not out of pocket and part of the loan.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm just thinking when you pay this much for a car what's another $3000 for FSD. I heard Version 9 will have a feature or two for FSD. Maybe I heard wrong!! Anyone out there hear anything?