Tire Replacement

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
Does anyone have a recommendation regarding a replacement tire for my Model S (75D)? Specifically whether I need to get the Tesla rated “quiet/noise reduced” tire? OEM tire purchased with the vehicle was a Good Year Eagle 245/45/19 (98) tire. This was a “TO”, or Tesla rated noise reduced tire, With a layer of foam, or “runflat”, which reduced tire noise. However, when I went to Goodyear to replace the tire, they stated that, even though I had Goodyear tires, they sold this technology to Tesla, and it was now proprietary. In other words, Good Year could not sell me the Tesla rated tire, even though it was a Good Year tire! Consequently, Tesla had the “Tesla rated/TO“ tire for sale, at $140 more than the same tire at Goodyear, that wasn’t Tesla rated/noise reduced.

Curious to know if anyone has any insight...thanks!

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
The foam is just noise suppression - it doesn't make it a run-flat tire.

The noise suppression is usually pretty minor - I wouldn't insist on getting that version if the non-T0 version of the tire was a lot less expensive.

FRC

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Does anyone have a recommendation regarding a replacement tire for my Model S (75D)? Specifically whether I need to get the Tesla rated “quiet/noise reduced” tire? OEM tire purchased with the vehicle was a Good Year Eagle 245/45/19 (98) tire. This was a “TO”, or Tesla rated noise reduced tire, With a layer of foam, or “runflat”, which reduced tire noise. However, when I went to Goodyear to replace the tire, they stated that, even though I had Goodyear tires, they sold this technology to Tesla, and it was now proprietary. In other words, Good Year could not sell me the Tesla rated tire, even though it was a Good Year tire! Consequently, Tesla had the “Tesla rated/TO“ tire for sale, at $140 more than the same tire at Goodyear, that wasn’t Tesla rated/noise reduced.

Curious to know if anyone has any insight...thanks!
About a year ago, I had a flat while on a road trip and had to replace the OEM Michilen Primacy tire(with foam noise suppression) with a non noise suppressed Continental tire. In 20K miles, I couldn't tell any difference in the noise level. Even when running 3 OEM's and 1 Continental.