Tire PSI

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

changsteer

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
See what it says in the morning. I have no clue how cold it gets in Maryland, but if you mounted tires in a warm shop in ND, there'll be less pressure in the morning in my cold garage.
That 50 psi is the actual cold tire pressure. The temp in my garage was in low 40's when I left this morning. The pressure went up to 51 psi after driving on highway for about 15 minutes in low 30's temperature.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Tire pressure is a personal preference with a never ending debate. I'm not trying to convince anyone that this is the correct setting that everyone should follow. I found my preference and I'm just throwing my 2cents in for your reading pleasure😄

MY preference is max sidewall - 2 psi. Actually -2 in winter and -3 in summer due to temperature changes throughout the day in our area. Yes it is a firm ride. Comfy is not one of my priorities. Because I do ride with higher pressure, I check my cold pressure frequently and watch weather patterns to not allow the pressure to go too high over the max cold pressure. I also check my TPM after a warmup period so I'm not too high over max while I'm driving. I also try to avoid potholes and other things that have a higher risk of damaging the tires with higher pressure. I have allowed my cold pressure to result in +3 over max while driving and it has never caused any major concern. MY preference is handling & efficiency. After reading load charts and doing chalk and other tests when I replaced my tires, I find that this setting is the best tire footprint which matches MY driving preference. With "newer" tire technology, I have never had higher pressure result in the center of my tires wearing sooner than the edges in the past +20 years. My edges always wear sooner but I do like to take corners fast.

I wish I kept the unofficial study that I found years ago that FOR ME confirmed what I have always felt was MY proper setting to achieve MY road feedback, hydroplane, economy, etc but here's a shorter version: Driving Under Pressure This might be the person that wrote the full article.

Rick Steinwand

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I leave mine at 50 (max pressure on tire sidewall), but the service center "helpfully" checks and "fixes" my tire pressure every time I take it in for something. :confused:
I haven't had the pleasure to visit a Tesla service center yet, but I often say, "... and leave my tire pressure as-is"....

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Aren't pressure recommendations in the manual and door jams for a FULL passenger load (5)? My ride was really bumpy, so finally got out the gauge last night and all 4 were at 49-50 psi cold! Bumped them all down to 40 as I rarely have a full car. Will see how it is now.

I often say, "... and leave my tire pressure as-is"....
Being a 49-50psi owner, I let them change the pressure to their liking as it too easy for me to set my tires to my preference when I return home.

However, for the last 6 years, I have always had my service cordinator write on my ticket:
Please do not wash
Please do not rotate tires
Please do not perform an alignment

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Being a 49-50psi owner, I let them change the pressure to their liking as it too easy for me to set my tires to my preference when I return home.

However, for the last 6 years, I have always had my service cordinator write on my ticket:
Please do not wash
Please do not rotate tires
Please do not perform an alignment
Why no alignment?

FRC

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
If a road can knock your front end significantly out of alignment, it means something is bent and needs to be replaced.
I bend a tie rod once but I hit a tree.
I'm a bit confused. are you suggesting that virtually all alignments are a waste?

aquadoggie

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Sorry if this has been covered in the past pages, but does anyone else get the low pressure warning randomly and for different tires even if they are the same pressure as the others?

For instance, the cold pressure showed 38 on all four tires and two of them threw the warning, while it claimed the other two were fine. Sometimes it falls to 37 or even 36 and the system will sometimes say those are fine too. It's just all over the place, so I basically have been ignoring it.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Sorry if this has been covered in the past pages, but does anyone else get the low pressure warning randomly and for different tires even if they are the same pressure as the others?

For instance, the cold pressure showed 38 on all four tires and two of them threw the warning, while it claimed the other two were fine. Sometimes it falls to 37 or even 36 and the system will sometimes say those are fine too. It's just all over the place, so I basically have been ignoring it.
as others have reported, anything under 40 has the chance of throwing the warning.
curious though, why are you keeping them this low?

aquadoggie

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
as others have reported, anything under 40 has the chance of throwing the warning.
curious though, why are you keeping them this low?
As the day warms up they tend to get back to 40 or so. I'm probably due for a scheduled maintenance though, so I'll have them pump it up a bit.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
As the day warms up they tend to get back to 40 or so. I'm probably due for a scheduled maintenance though, so I'll have them pump it up a bit.
The recommended & maximum tire inflation pressures are cold pressures. The tires are expected to be at higher pressures when warmed up.

Feathermerchant

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I'm a bit confused. are you suggesting that virtually all alignments are a waste?
Quite possibly. If you hit something and it bends a suspension component so you are out of alignment or if a component wears so that it is out of alignment, you should have the component replaced then realign.
My experience shows that suspensions do not 'go out of alignment' due to normal wear except the case when something wears out.

Ok, I have more hands on real world motor sports experience than anyone at Tesla and at least 2 orders of magnitude > Mr. Twitter. ICE auto repair shops use their alignment racks as cash cows, however, since the Tesla SCs operate at zero profit, there is basically no incentive for Tesla to perform unnecessary alignments (a good thing!). I am fairly decent at determining if there is an alignment issue by regular visual and feel inspections and analyzing my own alignment data pulled at a friends shop. I was able to achieve double the tire service life of any other S owner running silly, low performance, heavy, damage prone, revenue generating 21s with a host of changes since I know more about my particular driving needs than the hardworking smart youngsters at Tesla. With that said, I see no reason to have an alignment performed unless a) a suspension component is replaced due to wear or recall, b) uneven tire wear is detected, or c) an impact with a pothole or obstruction occurs, at which point I would check for damaged suspension components as @Feathermerchant mentioned and I would also check the runout both laterally and longitudally on the inboard and outboard wheel bead surfaces.

For the most part, I like my factory M3 alignment settings.

The M3 suspension is somewhat unusual, in that, only front and rear toe and (and I believe) front caster are adjustable. The only way to adjust front and rear camber is by installing aftermarket suspension components from @MountainPass Performance or with one off custom bits.

Last edited by a moderator: