Tire PSI

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I check mine when they are cold but parked in the garage. As it is now starting to get much colder outside if I parked outside they would read a much lower pressure. So I bump mine up 2 or 3 pounds to cover the outdoor cold verses the “indoor” cold reading. I’m not sure if that’s enough or too much though. Is there a table of or guide for change in psi due to change in cold tire temperature?

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I check mine when they are cold but parked in the garage. As it is now starting to get much colder outside if I parked outside they would read a much lower pressure. So I bump mine up 2 or 3 pounds to cover the outdoor cold verses the “indoor” cold reading. I’m not sure if that’s enough or too much though. Is there a table of or guide for change in psi due to change in cold tire temperature?
It's about 1 psi for every 10 degrees Fahrenheit for passenger cars.

Rick Steinwand

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Checked my low tire today and saw nothing obvious like a screw or nail. Due to colder weather, my right side, which was 45 PSI previously, was now around 43.5. Left side was even lower again. I was too busy painting my calipers to drop it off somewhere and it was Sunday, which limits my options. They are all 45 PSI now.

ATechGuy

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Little off topic question, my car reads 40.5 PSI on all 4 tires (cold) and it’s about 42 degrees outside. The recommended tire pressure on the driver side sticker says 45 PSI cold. Should I fill 45 PSI in all 4 tires or fill 43 PSI and leave 2 pounds for expansion when the tire gets hot?
Which model tires did your car come with, the Michelin, or the Continentals?

Rick Steinwand

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If you over inflate, more tire wear - likely easy to see as the tire wears more in the center in this case, edges when under inflated.
I tend to run close to max sidewall pressure and find my tires ALWAYS wear on the edges. ALWAYS.

It depends on how you drive I guess.

msjulie

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm still running closer to 45 because it got cold and I added some then it moderated a little - but also I'm looking for range and handling... never yet seen worn edges @Rick Steinwand and the tires are approaching 10k... will keep eyes on it..

In addition to running a modded suspension, higher than Tesla recommended air pressure because I am a cheapskate that needs to obtain at least a 50,000 mile service life from my new staggards, I also fill my tires with a special blended mixture of 78.09% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, <1% argon, a smidgon of carbon dioxide, a small amount of water vapor with a smattering of various other compounds. I inspect my tires regularly to determine if any changes need to be made to my settings and when they are in need of a tire rotation. Currently at 49 psi for efficiency, acceptable service life, crisp handling, and local road conditions.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheMagician

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I also fill my tires with a special blended mixture of 78.09% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, <1% argon, a smidgon of carbon dioxide, a small amount of water vapor with a smattering of various other compounds.
Let’s see how many people get the joke. Surprised I haven’t seen numerous posts debating nitrogen vs. air but maybe I could get it started by saying the nitrogen people are full of themselves :)

And I love how most of you embrace higher psi. I used to be a driving instructor and regularly tell people to add 5 psi to the recommended pressure (the Model 3 is the first vehicle I’m not doing that). You wouldn’t believe how many people over on the Ridgeline forum scream that I’m going to get somebody hurt.

Rick Steinwand

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm still running closer to 45 because it got cold and I added some then it moderated a little - but also I'm looking for range and handling... never yet seen worn edges @Rick Steinwand and the tires are approaching 10k... will keep eyes on it..
Hint: high speed cornering wears the edges. ;)

Achooo

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've always tended to set my tires to the recommended cold PSI while in the garage early in the morning. If it is significantly colder outside, then I add 1 PSI for every 10 degrees that it is colder outside. I don't see my model 3 ever hitting the track, but if it does, I'll add 5-10 PSI at that time.

changsteer

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just had tire rotation done at Tesla Rockville Service Center recently. My tires were at 50 psi after the service. I'm not sure about the reason why they chose the max tire pressure. Maybe the mechanic is a racer? :)

Rick Steinwand

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just had tire rotation done at Tesla Rockville Service Center recently. My tires were at 50 psi after the service. I'm not sure about the reason why they chose the max tire pressure. Maybe the mechanic is a racer? :)
See what it says in the morning. I have no clue how cold it gets in Maryland, but if you mounted tires in a warm shop in ND, there'll be less pressure in the morning in my cold garage.