Tire PSI

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
My 12xxx Vin with 18" has 42 on the door sticker. All tires were at 41 based on the tire pressure sensors when I picked it up.
Ahhh I had forgotten we were talking about PSI and was wondering why a random 45 was printed :D

Thanks for bringing me back to the topic! :)

Tyres4M3

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Tire wear is significantly affected by PSI (under inflation is never good), lack of rotation, how hard you drive the vehicle and the tire that is on the vehicle. If you drive more highway than on the street you will see better life out of your tires. Constant acceleration and deceleration from stop light to stop light and 90 degree turns is hard on tires. EV's come with more torque than most of the tires that are put on them can handle. Chevy volts for example come with a Goodyear Fuel Max which is a very soft tire. You can get much better after market options. Tesla's at least come with higher speed rated low profile tires and shouldn't suffer from the same issues.

The typical recommendation is to simply add 3 PSI from cold air pressure. This helps shield you from a drop in ambient temperature (10 degrees = 1 PSI). If you drive somewhere and check them @ the recommended cold PSI your tires would of already heated up and when they cool down you might be slightly under inflated. You will not see increased tire wear unless you are significantly over inflated or under inflated for an extended period of time.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
This is probably a silly question but I'm a new owner so forgive me - is there a way to display the tire pressure on the touchscreen, and if so how do you get there? I'm been playing around with the menus and can't seem to find it.

My software version is 2018.18.13.

Thanks!

BigBri

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
This is probably a silly question but I'm a new owner so forgive me - is there a way to display the tire pressure on the touchscreen, and if so how do you get there? I'm been playing around with the menus and can't seem to find it.

My software version is 2018.18.13.

Thanks!
It should be on the cards (bottom left). Swipe to the last one and it'll show you a pic of the car and your pressures.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Thanks! How did I miss that? I'll check it when I get home today.
Keep in mind the pressures in the display are just ballpark figures to let you know if something has gone amiss. Tesla recommends the use of an accurate air gauge to set pressures when the tires are cold. Also, in the morning before I drive anywhere the pressure display is blank - it is necessary to drive a short distance before any pressures are displayed.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
So I found the tire PSI display in the cards, thanks all. My PSI display onscreen says 45 PSI, which is what the door well sticker says as well, which I find the ride a little harsh. When I look at the manual, it says 42 PSI for the 18" Aero wheels. Should I follow the manual or the door well sticker?

BigBri

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
So I found the tire PSI display in the cards, thanks all. My PSI display onscreen says 45 PSI, which is what the door well sticker says as well, which I find the ride a little harsh. When I look at the manual, it says 42 PSI for the 18" Aero wheels. Should I follow the manual or the door well sticker?
Elon even suggested trying 39 to improve the ride a bit as the range hit is maybe 2%. Although the Model3 doesn't seem to give PSI unless its hot PSI which is going to be 3-4 pounds heavier. Mine reads 47/48 on my 19s. I'll probably try removing a few pounds. While the ride is fantastic I live in a city with **** roads so I do get a little bouncy at times.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Elon even suggested trying 39 to improve the ride a bit as the range hit is maybe 2%.
The context of the recommendation was to owners of early production Model 3's with firmer suspension. But, yes, it will ride smoother at lower pressures at the expense of tread life, heat build-up and lower efficiency. Maximum wheel damage protection from bad roads and potholes will be at higher pressures. Always measure PSI on a cold tire with an accurate gauge.

cfcubed

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Note: Latest update 32.6 (?) lowered warning PSI for our 18" Aero wheel car from 38 psi to 41 psi, door jam on our 027XXX VIN says 45 psi. Caused our Blue Beauty to cause all sorts of stress over the last week. Having to go full 45 psi on coolest morning(s) to assure the warnings cease, and shouldn't have to.

NJturtlePower

Living the Dream, Driving the Future!
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Note: Latest update 32.6 (?) lowered warning PSI for our 18" Aero wheel car from 38 psi to 41 psi, door jam on our 027XXX VIN says 45 psi. Caused our Blue Beauty to cause all sorts of stress over the last week. Having to go full 45 psi on coolest morning(s) to assure the warnings cease, and shouldn't have to.
FYI Latest Model 3 manual (Aug 2018) does in fact show 42PSI regardless of 18" or 19" rim or tire brand/type. Attached*

Attachments

cfcubed

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Yes & unless Tesla fixed this post-32.6 get ready for LOTS of tire pressure warnings if set to 42 psi + 10 deg F+ temp drop.

Didn't snap a photo of yellow 41 PSIs + loads of repeated, annoying messages but anyone w/32.6 & 41 psi reading could/should be able to confirm.

Seems clear these firmware rollouts don't go through a whole of Q/A testing, at least in this case not in real-world conditions in target markets for any length of time. And not sure about code review either cause this one should have been super-easy to spot & correct. Bet they were trying to implement the "new" (vs my door jam/VIN 45 psi recommendation) 42 psi recommendation & screwed up making it the lower limit warning.

My guess is that they have fixed with post-32.6, someone with it could confirm.

cfcubed

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
FYI from my post to Firmware build v8.1 2018.32.6 thread: If you're curious at what pressures your Model 3 throws alerts here's your answer direct from Tesla: "While I can't disclose the exact threshold for tire pressure alerts in your car..."
So trial & error I guess; what I'm doing - keeping between 42 & 45 psi cold.

Last edited:

Vin

Country
Country
That does seem odd that your car is showing alerts so often. I have seen my pressure as low as 41 PSI (when starting to drive) and 48 when riding on highway and never have gotten a single tire pressure alert. Hopefully it is working correctly but I'll see and I'm not worried. By the way I'm on 36.2 and VIN 027XXX
Note: i set my tires to door recommended 45 PSI and actually prefer something close to that.

cfcubed

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
That does seem odd that your car is showing alerts so often. < snip > By the way I'm on 36.2 and VIN 027XXX
Note: i set my tires to door recommended 45 PSI and actually prefer something close to that.
How about that my VIN is 0277XX built June delivered July. My door jam also specs 45 psi but was running 41psi for ride WRT Elon's 39psi for comfort tweet. Now keeping to 42psi - 45psi cold after our little TM3 TMPS related marriage spat:)

Detailed in other thread the fiasco of having my wife drive our 3 back two mornings in a row due to TPMS warnings. First time was on me, temp change brought 'em down to 37/38psi. Second time on I put on Tesla, raised 'em to 42psi w/o driving to check/reset warnings. The TPMS/warnings combo take a LONG time (15+ mins driving?) to fully clear, system will even read legit/non-warning values for while & still throw warnings, e.g. this (posted by another in other forum):

tm3_tire_pressure_warning-jpg.15134