Tire PSI

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
always been there I just wanted to add sitting at 45 psi I think does better for mileage
I know some EV drivers over inflate the tires to better range. I have never done this. I think they should be at the manufacturer's spec. These numbers are for the ride as well as the load capacity of the tire. With more psi, you will get a harsher ride and I think you may get more wear since you are overinflated and the weight isn't distributed as intended.
Does the @Mad Hungarian have thoughts on this?

Last edited:

msjulie

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If you over inflate, more tire wear - likely easy to see as the tire wears more in the center in this case, edges when under inflated..

Good idea to watch the wear anyway, helps identify alignment out of spec issues too..

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Leaf drivers overinflate because running OEM tires at manufacturer's suggested pressures resulted in premature shoulder wear. Overinflating put a little more wear on the middle of the tread.
Interesting. Haven’t had that issue with my leaf. The OEMs wore even but too fast as all OEMs do. I put a nice set of continentals on this last time and they are looking great at 36 psi

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Did you have the 16" wheels with Bridgestone Ecopias? I was forgetting that newer Leafs have 17" wheels.
The 2013 SV I leased had 16" wheels with Ecopias that I stretched to 30k miles. :)
The 2015 SL I bought has 17" wheels with Michelins that lasted 24k miles :(

Reliev

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The representative at delivery said 45 the tires say 50 is this not the case? I feel this is accurate due to the high weight of the car I've also never researched I remember someone telling me 48-50 on a model s

Update
from what I can gather from tire rack since the car weighs more it needs more psi (makes sense to me) they are saying the range for this tire is 42-48 so smack in the middle is 45 (for me) the door jam says 42 but when I look at the tire rating its a High Load thats much higher so no im not doing hypermiling crazy stuff that would mean im sitting about 50psi I dont believe in doing that, but I do believe if you under inflate tires even by a few psi it makes a huge diffrnece in wear and mileage (from my past experiences) maybe this isnt the right thread for this discussion but I think anything under 42 is too low based on my 15 minutes of research I will ask the tech next time I talk to them maybe I even shoot them an email.

Last edited:

skygraff

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The representative at delivery said 45 the tires say 50 is this not the case? I feel this is accurate due to the high weight of the car I've also never researched I remember someone telling me 48-50 on a model s

Update
from what I can gather from tire rack since the car weighs more it needs more psi (makes sense to me) they are saying the range for this tire is 42-48 so smack in the middle is 45 (for me) the door jam says 42 but when I look at the tire rating its a High Load thats much higher so no im not doing hypermiling crazy stuff that would mean im sitting about 50psi I dont believe in doing that, but I do believe if you under inflate tires even by a few psi it makes a huge diffrnece in wear and mileage (from my past experiences) maybe this isnt the right thread for this discussion but I think anything under 42 is too low based on my 15 minutes of research I will ask the tech next time I talk to them maybe I even shoot them an email.

The placard on the door says the cold pressure should be 42 which makes sense with the range for the tire since that allows for heating when driving.

At delivery, mine were something like 53 each so we let some air out to make them all 45 before I drove to my first stop. The ride was fine and the sensors confirmed that my gauge was accurate (short drive so pressure didn't increase much) so, after it sat for a while, I brought them all down to 42 (missed one by a pound) and really didn't notice much of a change.

Considering I do fairly short drives where there won't be much time for heating, I may go with 45 when all is said and done but I guess I'd rather be at the bottom of the range so I don't have to let air out before a road trip. As long as they grip the road, support the car, wear evenly, and feel good, I'm not too worried about the efficiency around town; with a long range BEV, I'm already beating my last car's efficiency by an order of magnitude.

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The placard on the door says the cold pressure should be 42 which makes sense with the range for the tire since that allows for heating when driving.

At delivery, mine were something like 53 each so we let some air out to make them all 45 before I drove to my first stop. The ride was fine and the sensors confirmed that my gauge was accurate (short drive so pressure didn't increase much) so, after it sat for a while, I brought them all down to 42 (missed one by a pound) and really didn't notice much of a change.

Considering I do fairly short drives where there won't be much time for heating, I may go with 45 when all is said and done but I guess I'd rather be at the bottom of the range so I don't have to let air out before a road trip. As long as they grip the road, support the car, wear evenly, and feel good, I'm not too worried about the efficiency around town; with a long range BEV, I'm already beating my last car's efficiency by an order of magnitude.
Yes. Good point it is 42psi COLD. They will increase with driving to about 45 probably.

Reliev

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
ahh well im in florida its hot all the time I have never checked cold temp its 45 most of the time that makes sense also good feedback.

skygraff

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
ahh well im in florida its hot all the time I have never checked cold temp its 45 most of the time that makes sense also good feedback.
Cold is a relative state of being as expansion will occur with speed regardless of the initial ambient temperature. The only caveat being if all four tires are in direct sunlight when "cold" then you drive fast in shade because there would likely be a trade off which could balance the equation. Unlikely in most cases.

I may occasionally dress like Sheldon but my physics knowledge is limited so MMV.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Florida here as well and I still see ~3 PSI increase so “cold” tires still applies for us.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Word is earlier VINs have 45 printed on the door sticker.
This might be part of Tesla's adjustments to address harsh ride complaints.
Where did you hear that? Also, any word on what the "less harsh" cars have printed in lieu of a 45?

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Where did you hear that? Also, any word on what the "less harsh" cars have printed in lieu of a 45?
My 12xxx Vin with 18" has 42 on the door sticker. All tires were at 41 based on the tire pressure sensors when I picked it up.