Tesla Owners Online Forum banner

Tire Cost

26K views 41 replies 25 participants last post by  rick_897 
#1 ·
I just looked at Tire Rack that now has the Model 3 in its database for tire replacement. Here is what I found (All costs mentioned are for a set of 4 tires):

1. The cost of the standard equipment for both the 18" (Michelin) and 19" (Continental) have roughly the same cost to replace. The 19" is actually 10 dollars cheaper. This is the cost to replace the 19" or the 18" with the exact same tire they came with.
2. The 19" Continental have about 20% worse tread ware rating than the 18" Michelin.
3. The same Michelin that comes on the 18" also comes in the same size on the 19" for $200 cheaper.

So if people tell you the 18" will be cheaper for tires that isn't necessarily true. After the Continentals wear out you can buy the same Michelin tire on the 18" and have the same tread wear rating on the 19" for $200 less than the same tires on the 18".

So if you want the 19" don't let the cost of tires justify getting the 18". Now the efficiency of the 18" and possibility of damaging a 19" wheel are still factors that someone should consider when making wheel selection. I am glad I checked this out because I was worried about tire cost but tire cost is not an issue.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
So if people tell you the 18" will be cheaper for tires that isn't necessarily true.
If you look at all tires available, then you get:
  • 18": 26 tires, priced $100.00 - $282.40
  • 19": 19 tires, priced $166.56 - $353.86
While there's definitely overlap in price, you're generally going to have more choices - and less expensive choices - in the 18" size.

#3 ·
If you look at all tires available, then you get:
  • 18": 26 tires, priced $100.00 - $282.40
  • 19": 19 tires, priced $166.56 - $353.86
While there's definitely overlap in price, you're generally going to have more choices - and less expensive choices - in the 18" size.
Thanks for the input! I wouldn't be going that cheap of a tire on my car but to each their own. I was just pointing out that unlike the S the tire cost between the bigger rims and the smaller rims are less of an issue. Frankly I always equip my cars with Michelins. I have never had issues plus they seem to be quieter. It might be just me. I tried cheaper Kumho tires once and never again because the noise was so high.

Reactions: MichelT3 and ng0
#5 ·
For me it’s not a cost issue, it’s a ride quality issue. I can’t stand the aero wheel covers, I dislike the stock 18” wheels without the covers and I don’t want to compromise ride quality with 19” wheels. So......for me it’s going to be aftermarket 18” wheels as soon as I get the car.

#6 ·
In addition, the Tire Tread Wear Warranty is the same for 18" and 19", at least for the Michelin (only one I checked). As a side note, I am on my third set of tires for my Lexus CT200 Hybrid. I seem to only get about 35,000 miles on a set. I have been told this is due to regenerative braking which results in higher tread wear. However, I am still getting reduced pricing on replacement tires because of warranty. So, as long as the warranty is honored, it really doesn't matter to me if one tire size or the other gets less tread wear. It doesn't cost me any additional $$.

#10 ·
I'm coming to the conclusion that there isn't a ton of difference in the ride between these two tire choices. The 19" sounds like it corners slight better and is slightly stiffer, but that both wheels are in the same stiffness category. One's not like "Ooh, that super smooth," and the other's like, "Dang, that's pounding my sorry ass." And it's not like the 18" doesn't corner well.

Even though Tesla prices it the other way around, I think of this as a car with a 19" wheel—the way they always show it in pictures and in the store—that also offers the option of a more efficient 18" wheel with lower rolling resistance that is light weight and looks the way it does for efficiency's sake. So in my mind you get the 19" wheel (which works great) unless you want the higher efficiency of the 18" Aero.

Or unless you don't want to pay them money for wheels. Valid as well.

#11 ·
I'm coming to the conclusion that there isn't a ton of difference in the ride between these two tire choices. The 19" sounds like it corners slight better and is slightly stiffer, but that both wheels are in the same stiffness category. One's not like "Ooh, that super smooth," and the other's like, "Dang, that's pounding my sorry ass." And it's not like the 18" doesn't corner well.

Even though Tesla prices it the other way around, I think of this as a car with a 19" wheel-the way they always show it in pictures and in the store-that also offers the option of a more efficient 18" wheel with lower rolling resistance that is light weight and looks the way it does for efficiency's sake. So in my mind you get the 19" wheel (which works great) unless you want the higher efficiency of the 18" Aero.

Or unless you don't want to pay them money for wheels. Valid as well.
Given that the 18 and 19 are the same width, any cornering difference should be attributable mostly to the tire. There could be a tiny, tiny amount of difference in the sidewall affecting the responsiveness but anyone who can tell should probably be out racing or otherwise making money from that ability.

#17 ·
Weight for just wheels:
18" Aero: 23lbs (10.4 kg) with cover, 21.6 lbs (9.8 kg) without
19" Sport: 29.5 lbs (13.4 kg)

Weight for Michelin MXM4 tires only:
18": 25 lbs (11.3 kg)
19": 26 lbs (11.8 kg)

Total weight wheel + tire:
18": 48 lbs (21.7 kg)
19": 55.5 lbs (25.2 kg)

I was surprised the 18" tires were lighter. The 19" ones must have really beefy sidewalls to be heavier.

Picked this up on a forum:
" Every 1lb of unsprung weight is equal to 8lbs of sprung weight. 100lbs is approx. equal to .1th in the quarter mile."
So I guess if you trust this, going with 19" wheels is like adding 60 lbs (27 kg)—or basically a kid in the car with you—and shaves 0.06 seconds off your 0-60 time.

#18 · (Edited)
Weight for just wheels:
18" Aero: 23lbs (10.4 kg) with cover, 21.6 lbs (9.8 kg) without
19" Sport: 29.5 lbs (13.4 kg)

Weight for Michelin MXM4 tires only:
18": 25 lbs (11.3 kg)
19": 26 lbs (11.8 kg)

Total weight wheel + tire:
18": 48 lbs (21.7 kg)
19": 55.5 lbs (25.2 kg)

I was surprised the 18" tires were lighter. The 19" ones must have really beefy sidewalls to be heavier.

Picked this up on a forum:
" Every 1lb of unsprung weight is equal to 8lbs of sprung weight. 100lbs is approx. equal to .1th in the quarter mile."
So I guess if you trust this, going with 19" wheels is like adding 60 lbs (27 kg)-or basically a kid in the car with you-and shaves 0.06 seconds off your 0-60 time.
John, The 29.5 lb weight for Tesla's 19" Sport Wheel was only a 'speculated' weight from TSportline's site here:

https://tsportline.com/blogs/owners-guide/the-tesla-model-3-wheel-guide

Our resident tire guru actually weighed the stock Sport wheel/tire combo at 48 lbs. The Conti ProContact RX 96 XL ContiSilent tire made expressly for the Tesla Model 3 weighs 23 lbs. here:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...RXXLCOSI&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

End result is the Tesla 19" Sport Wheel alone only weighs maximum 25 lbs. Here:

https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/model-3-aftermarket-wheel-fitment.5310/page-3#post-64874

Bottom line for me is 25 lbs for a non-forged OEM 19"x 8.5" wheel is a great weight. Some of the same size turbines out there at 29 to 32 lbs. As you allude to any reduction of unsprung weight is gold.

#21 ·
I'm going to admit here, every car I've bought has been used and has either come with extra rims and winter tires, or I've been able to re-use them from previous cars and haven't actually bought a set of rims and winter tires ever. I'm going to need to get new ones for the 3 as my current ones are only 16"

Difficulty: Canada.

I see Tesla has some online for what at first seems like a tad too much. But after doing some moderate research, it's only a few hundred more than getting decent tires and anything more than steel rims. Am I looking in the wrong places?

#27 ·
How about this for an idea? I want winter tires, anyway, so why not get stock 19" wheels for summer and 18" Aero wheels for winter? It would certainly help with the potholes on our winter roads (especially around Hamilton this winter) and increase winter driving range.
If that's what you want to do, then it's less expensive to order the car with the 18's, and buy a set of 19s for $2500.

Ordering 19s with the car adds $1500 to the price of the car, and buying the 18s later costs $1700, so the total is $3200. Kind of insane that it's $700 more than purchasing them the other way.

#36 ·
Had a puncture hole today in the side of a Tesla tire after only 500 miles on a new Model 3. The car was trailerred to the Tesla Service Center, and the cost was $377 to replace the tire. I am interested if anyone else had a similar issue.
Has anybody had any real world experience using the tire repair kit?

#40 ·
I'm very happy with the RE050s (Stock tire on my Fiesta ST), and have hit a cringe worthy pothole with no issues. But they are also a summer-only tire.

Remember, due to the weight of the Model 3, you need to make sure you're looking at the "heavy load" rated tires, not the regular model of the same tire.

#41 ·
I am going 18" for my winter tires on my M3P. The 20's just do not get along with our bomb cratered roads here in the PNW, esp. after the recent ice storm. I-5 South near Woodland Wa. two weeks ago not 1 not two but three cars with low profile tires and flats almost humorous because they were all three rice rocket fart can style cars. Big sharp edged potholes, just a quick glance but pretty sure I also saw rim damage. The smaller wheels permit more sidewall.

#42 ·
I am STUNNED by how flaming heavy the 20" Uberturbine wheels are, especially with the Pirelli P Zero as the last of the M3P's were supplied. My 3P was a December build and delivery. Per Pirelli the P zero is a run flat tire. That explains the weight. I have one bruised sidewall it is small and I am living with it. I'll wear these awful tires out. Very poor choice Tesla. My 3P is a different car with 18's. I'd bet a benjamin efficiency is a full 5% better on the 18's as well. I expect no more than 15 K miles from the Pirelli's. I'm not real disappointed tho, every new car I have owned wore out it's supplied tires quickly to very quickly. 18" summer wheels are in my 3P's long term plan, forged perhaps, the total weight will be focused on. I may track my 3P perhaps the 20's will be useful there. I'm going to put the slightly worn Pirelli and 20 on the bathroom scale before I put it away for a bit, lets all guess on the total weight tire and wheel. I'm putting down 55 lbs for a guess. I will report back the actual weight per my bathroom scale tonite.