Tire Cost

ceo

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm going to admit here, every car I've bought has been used and has either come with extra rims and winter tires, or I've been able to re-use them from previous cars and haven't actually bought a set of rims and winter tires ever. I'm going to need to get new ones for the 3 as my current ones are only 16"

Difficulty: Canada.

I see Tesla has some online for what at first seems like a tad too much. But after doing some moderate research, it's only a few hundred more than getting decent tires and anything more than steel rims. Am I looking in the wrong places?

Prodigal Son

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm going to admit here, every car I've bought has been used and has either come with extra rims and winter tires, or I've been able to re-use them from previous cars and haven't actually bought a set of rims and winter tires ever. I'm going to need to get new ones for the 3 as my current ones are only 16"

I see Tesla has some online for what at first seems like a tad too much. But after doing some moderate research, it's only a few hundred more than getting decent tires and anything more than steel rims. Am I looking in the wrong places?
The price they're charging for a second set of wheels and winter tires is insanely fair TBH, at least for the US market. Audi, BMW etc charge far more.

Country
Country
Does anyone have experience with Yokohama ADVAN Sport A/S? Tire Rack has these in 19 for $171 each and reviews tend to be positive about tread life but somewhat conflicting about wet performance.

Prodigal Son

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Does anyone have experience with Yokohama ADVAN Sport A/S? Tire Rack has these in 19 for $171 each and reviews tend to be positive about tread life but somewhat conflicting about wet performance.
Traction should generally be the most important concern. Skimping on tires can cost you more than a few dollars you try and save or a few more miles of life. It can cost you or someone else their life.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
How about this for an idea? I want winter tires, anyway, so why not get stock 19” wheels for summer and 18” Aero wheels for winter? It would certainly help with the potholes on our winter roads (especially around Hamilton this winter) and increase winter driving range.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
How about this for an idea? I want winter tires, anyway, so why not get stock 19” wheels for summer and 18” Aero wheels for winter? It would certainly help with the potholes on our winter roads (especially around Hamilton this winter) and increase winter driving range.
If that's what you want to do, then it's less expensive to order the car with the 18's, and buy a set of 19s for $2500.

Ordering 19s with the car adds $1500 to the price of the car, and buying the 18s later costs $1700, so the total is $3200. Kind of insane that it's $700 more than purchasing them the other way.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Or, like @garsh suggested above order the car with the stock 18's and get a nice set of aftermarket 19's that look better than what Tesla offers. Just my 2 cents worth. If I'm going to spend extra money for rims I'd rather have something different that what everybody else has.

jhotchki

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Had a puncture hole today in the side of a Tesla tire after only 500 miles on a new Model 3. The car was trailerred to the Tesla Service Center, and the cost was $377 to replace the tire. I am interested if anyone else had a similar issue.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

jhotchki

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
------
Thanks for the Tirerack cost. I was willing to pay extra to get the Tesla service, because convenience means a lot to me, and the Tesla Service Center is very convenient. Also they ran a check on the vehicle and found a significant safety item that they want to fix, so I was pleased that they caught this. It would not have happened otherwise. They appeared to be very thorough.

Jetlag

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Hi ce

I’ve seen a number of OEM 18” wheel sets on eBay. People are buying aftermarket and selling the factory wheels. You might want to check there.

JimB

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Had a puncture hole today in the side of a Tesla tire after only 500 miles on a new Model 3. The car was trailerred to the Tesla Service Center, and the cost was $377 to replace the tire. I am interested if anyone else had a similar issue.
Has anybody had any real world experience using the tire repair kit?

Spiffywerks

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Costco has these for $239, plus $18 for install. They'll periodically have $70 off a set of 4 Michelin or Bridgestone tires, and right now they have an extra $60 off if you have a Costco credit card.
Talk to the shop and find out when they have the penny install. Save yourself A few more bucks on install costs.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The Potenza RE050 is supposed to have a thicker sidewall that will offer some level of protection for the rims, but they are pricey. Anyone know of another more reasonable tire with extra thick sidewall?

Rich M

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The Potenza RE050 is supposed to have a thicker sidewall that will offer some level of protection for the rims, but they are pricey. Anyone know of another more reasonable tire with extra thick sidewall?
I'm very happy with the RE050s (Stock tire on my Fiesta ST), and have hit a cringe worthy pothole with no issues. But they are also a summer-only tire.

Remember, due to the weight of the Model 3, you need to make sure you're looking at the "heavy load" rated tires, not the regular model of the same tire.