Tire Cost

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I just looked at Tire Rack that now has the Model 3 in its database for tire replacement. Here is what I found (All costs mentioned are for a set of 4 tires):

1. The cost of the standard equipment for both the 18" (Michelin) and 19" (Continental) have roughly the same cost to replace. The 19" is actually 10 dollars cheaper. This is the cost to replace the 19" or the 18" with the exact same tire they came with.
2. The 19" Continental have about 20% worse tread ware rating than the 18" Michelin.
3. The same Michelin that comes on the 18" also comes in the same size on the 19" for $200 cheaper.

So if people tell you the 18" will be cheaper for tires that isn't necessarily true. After the Continentals wear out you can buy the same Michelin tire on the 18" and have the same tread wear rating on the 19" for $200 less than the same tires on the 18".

So if you want the 19" don't let the cost of tires justify getting the 18". Now the efficiency of the 18" and possibility of damaging a 19" wheel are still factors that someone should consider when making wheel selection. I am glad I checked this out because I was worried about tire cost but tire cost is not an issue.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So if people tell you the 18" will be cheaper for tires that isn't necessarily true.
If you look at all tires available, then you get:
  • 18": 26 tires, priced $100.00 - $282.40
  • 19": 19 tires, priced $166.56 - $353.86
While there's definitely overlap in price, you're generally going to have more choices - and less expensive choices - in the 18" size.

Last edited:

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
If you look at all tires available, then you get:
  • 18": 26 tires, priced $100.00 - $282.40
  • 19": 19 tires, priced $166.56 - $353.86
While there's definitely overlap in price, you're generally going to have more choices - and less expensive choices - in the 18" size.
Thanks for the input! I wouldn't be going that cheap of a tire on my car but to each their own. I was just pointing out that unlike the S the tire cost between the bigger rims and the smaller rims are less of an issue. Frankly I always equip my cars with Michelins. I have never had issues plus they seem to be quieter. It might be just me. I tried cheaper Kumho tires once and never again because the noise was so high.

Ken Voss

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
For me it’s not a cost issue, it’s a ride quality issue. I can’t stand the aero wheel covers, I dislike the stock 18” wheels without the covers and I don’t want to compromise ride quality with 19” wheels. So......for me it’s going to be aftermarket 18” wheels as soon as I get the car.

Tchris

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just looked at Tire Rack that now has the Model 3 in its database for tire replacement. Here is what I found (All costs mentioned are for a set of 4 tires):

1. The cost of the standard equipment for both the 18" (Michelin) and 19" (Continental) have roughly the same cost to replace. The 19" is actually 10 dollars cheaper. This is the cost to replace the 19" or the 18" with the exact same tire they came with.
2. The 19" Continental have about 20% worse tread ware rating than the 18" Michelin.
3. The same Michelin that comes on the 18" also comes in the same size on the 19" for $200 cheaper.

So if people tell you the 18" will be cheaper for tires that isn't necessarily true. After the Continentals wear out you can buy the same Michelin tire on the 18" and have the same tread wear rating on the 19" for $200 less than the same tires on the 18".

So if you want the 19" don't let the cost of tires justify getting the 18". Now the efficiency of the 18" and possibility of damaging a 19" wheel are still factors that someone should consider when making wheel selection. I am glad I checked this out because I was worried about tire cost but tire cost is not an issue.
In addition, the Tire Tread Wear Warranty is the same for 18” and 19”, at least for the Michelin (only one I checked). As a side note, I am on my third set of tires for my Lexus CT200 Hybrid. I seem to only get about 35,000 miles on a set. I have been told this is due to regenerative braking which results in higher tread wear. However, I am still getting reduced pricing on replacement tires because of warranty. So, as long as the warranty is honored, it really doesn’t matter to me if one tire size or the other gets less tread wear. It doesn’t cost me any additional $$.

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I think my new Hyundai Tucson came with Kumho tires. They seem really good so far. <shrug/>
They might have gotten better. My set was from 2008 or so. It was a Honda Accord coupe that had pretty low profile tires and the ride was somewhat stiff. The Michelins were a night and day difference. Do they have a warranty for tread life? That might be worth going with the Michelins alone.

For me it’s not a cost issue, it’s a ride quality issue. I can’t stand the aero wheel covers, I dislike the stock 18” wheels without the covers and I don’t want to compromise ride quality with 19” wheels. So......for me it’s going to be aftermarket 18” wheels as soon as I get the car.
That makes total sense. I just started the thread because I have seen several people on here comment they were going with 18" tires due to tire cost. I think that fear stems from the cost of tires on the 21" vs 19" on the Model S but for the Model 3 I was surprised that the cost of the tires were pretty much a wash even though there are some really cheap options for the 18" but someone buying a 55k car might not even be considering budget tire brands.

In addition, the Tire Tread Wear Warranty is the same for 18” and 19”, at least for the Michelin (only one I checked). As a side note, I am on my third set of tires for my Lexus CT200 Hybrid. I seem to only get about 35,000 miles on a set. I have been told this is due to regenerative braking which results in higher tread wear. However, I am still getting reduced pricing on replacement tires because of warranty. So, as long as the warranty is honored, it really doesn’t matter to me if one tire size or the other gets less tread wear. It doesn’t cost me any additional $$.
I have the same issue with my wife's minivan. It tears through those Michelins (same as the Tesla). It gets maybe 35k to 40k out of the tires and they have a 60k warranty. The first set wasn't covered because they were the factory tires but the second set should be. I have Michelins on my truck and I have about 80k miles on them and they are still going strong. I love those tires. I'll have to probably replace them due to dry rot before the tread is gone.

I am kind of a Michelin loyal follower just because they have treated me so well since I started driving.

Country
Country
I checked Tire Rack website. Why do other tires with better warranty cost only half the price of OEM tires?

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm coming to the conclusion that there isn't a ton of difference in the ride between these two tire choices. The 19" sounds like it corners slight better and is slightly stiffer, but that both wheels are in the same stiffness category. One's not like "Ooh, that super smooth," and the other's like, "Dang, that's pounding my sorry ass." And it's not like the 18" doesn't corner well.

Even though Tesla prices it the other way around, I think of this as a car with a 19" wheel—the way they always show it in pictures and in the store—that also offers the option of a more efficient 18" wheel with lower rolling resistance that is light weight and looks the way it does for efficiency's sake. So in my mind you get the 19" wheel (which works great) unless you want the higher efficiency of the 18" Aero.

Or unless you don't want to pay them money for wheels. Valid as well.

Prodigal Son

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm coming to the conclusion that there isn't a ton of difference in the ride between these two tire choices. The 19" sounds like it corners slight better and is slightly stiffer, but that both wheels are in the same stiffness category. One's not like "Ooh, that super smooth," and the other's like, "Dang, that's pounding my sorry ass." And it's not like the 18" doesn't corner well.

Even though Tesla prices it the other way around, I think of this as a car with a 19" wheel—the way they always show it in pictures and in the store—that also offers the option of a more efficient 18" wheel with lower rolling resistance that is light weight and looks the way it does for efficiency's sake. So in my mind you get the 19" wheel (which works great) unless you want the higher efficiency of the 18" Aero.

Or unless you don't want to pay them money for wheels. Valid as well.
Given that the 18 and 19 are the same width, any cornering difference should be attributable mostly to the tire. There could be a tiny, tiny amount of difference in the sidewall affecting the responsiveness but anyone who can tell should probably be out racing or otherwise making money from that ability.

rsbell

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Given that the 18 and 19 are the same width, any cornering difference should be attributable mostly to the tire. There could be a tiny, tiny amount of difference in the sidewall affecting the responsiveness but anyone who can tell should probably be out racing or otherwise making money from that ability.
Any idea of the weight difference between the wheels?

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Weight for just wheels:
18" Aero: 23lbs (10.4 kg) with cover, 21.6 lbs (9.8 kg) without
19" Sport: 29.5 lbs (13.4 kg)

Weight for Michelin MXM4 tires only:
18": 25 lbs (11.3 kg)
19": 26 lbs (11.8 kg)

Total weight wheel + tire:
18": 48 lbs (21.7 kg)
19": 55.5 lbs (25.2 kg)

I was surprised the 18" tires were lighter. The 19" ones must have really beefy sidewalls to be heavier.

Picked this up on a forum:
" Every 1lb of unsprung weight is equal to 8lbs of sprung weight. 100lbs is approx. equal to .1th in the quarter mile."
So I guess if you trust this, going with 19" wheels is like adding 60 lbs (27 kg)—or basically a kid in the car with you—and shaves 0.06 seconds off your 0-60 time.

Sandy

One obsession to the next
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Weight for just wheels:
18" Aero: 23lbs (10.4 kg) with cover, 21.6 lbs (9.8 kg) without
19" Sport: 29.5 lbs (13.4 kg)

Weight for Michelin MXM4 tires only:
18": 25 lbs (11.3 kg)
19": 26 lbs (11.8 kg)

Total weight wheel + tire:
18": 48 lbs (21.7 kg)
19": 55.5 lbs (25.2 kg)

I was surprised the 18" tires were lighter. The 19" ones must have really beefy sidewalls to be heavier.

Picked this up on a forum:
" Every 1lb of unsprung weight is equal to 8lbs of sprung weight. 100lbs is approx. equal to .1th in the quarter mile."
So I guess if you trust this, going with 19" wheels is like adding 60 lbs (27 kg)—or basically a kid in the car with you—and shaves 0.06 seconds off your 0-60 time.
John, The 29.5 lb weight for Tesla’s 19” Sport Wheel was only a ‘speculated’ weight from TSportline’s site here:

https://tsportline.com/blogs/owners-guide/the-tesla-model-3-wheel-guide

Our resident tire guru actually weighed the stock Sport wheel/tire combo at 48 lbs. The Conti ProContact RX 96 XL ContiSilent tire made expressly for the Tesla Model 3 weighs 23 lbs. here:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...RXXLCOSI&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

End result is the Tesla 19” Sport Wheel alone only weighs maximum 25 lbs. Here:

https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/model-3-aftermarket-wheel-fitment.5310/page-3#post-64874

Bottom line for me is 25 lbs for a non-forged OEM 19”x 8.5” wheel is a great weight. Some of the same size turbines out there at 29 to 32 lbs. As you allude to any reduction of unsprung weight is gold.

Last edited:

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
John, The 29.5 lb weight for Tesla’s 19” Sport Wheel was only a ‘speculated’ weight from TSportline’s site here:

https://tsportline.com/blogs/owners-guide/the-tesla-model-3-wheel-guide

Our resident tire guru actually weighed the stock Sport wheel/tire combo at 48 lbs. The Conti ProContact RX 96 XL ContiSilent tire made expressly for the Tesla Model 3 weighs 23 lbs. here:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...RXXLCOSI&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

End result is the Tesla 19” Sport Wheel alone only weighs maximum 25 lbs. Here:

https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/model-3-aftermarket-wheel-fitment.5310/page-3#post-64874

Bottom line for me is 25 lbs for an OEM 19”x 8.5” wheel is a great weight. Some of the same size turbines out there at 29 to 32 lbs. As you allude to any reduction of unsprung weight is gold.
That's good info. Thanks!