Tips for first roadtrip w/ Model 3 LR - Sac to Socal then Vegas and back

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, five years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to more features on the site. We now offer yearly memberships too! For more information visit this page:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

P-Lo801

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Hey Tesla fam. I'm looking for any tips/suggestions for EVSE access in addition to relying on superchargers for my first roadtrip with my Model 3 LR RWD. We're leaving from Sacramento to go to the Los Angeles area for a Disneyland trip. From there we will be going to Las Vegas, and then head back home.

My trip planner indicates two supercharger stops on hwy 5 on the way to southern California. But i'm thinking of just making one stop to check out the kettleman city Tesla supercharger location because the stops from tesla trip planner seems to skip this one for some reason.

Once I get there, I plan on leaving my car plugged in the next day while we spend the day at Disneyland.

For our road trip to Las Vegas, I already identified one supercharger stop on the way. Once we get to Vegas, I can charge at our hotel, the Cosmopolitan, which I was vey intentional about staying at because it's the ONLY dog friendly hotel that also has Level 2 EVSE charging.

For our road trip back home, I figure I will just rely on the recommended supercharger stops on the way back to Sacramento.

I'm open to other tips and strategies, so please let me know of any other ones I should consider.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
...I was vey intentional about staying at because it's the ONLY dog friendly hotel that also has Level 2 EVSE charging.
While L2 charging is nice, I suggest that you not rely on it being available. Too often I find that L2 chargers are either out of order, in use, or blocked by some other vehicle. It might be worthwhile to call the hotel and ask if they enforce parking restrictions to keep it available (and to make sure it's working). Just be sure to plan on supercharging-only as a back-up plan.

Reactions: 1 person

wackojacko

Country
Country
New V3 Supercharger and Destination chargers located behind the High Roller/Linq. The Destination Chargers should be free. Plug Share indicates parking is free.

P-Lo801

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
While L2 charging is nice, I suggest that you not rely on it being available. Too often I find that L2 chargers are either out of order, in use, or blocked by some other vehicle. It might be worthwhile to call the hotel and ask if they enforce parking restrictions to keep it available (and to make sure it's working). Just be sure to plan on supercharging-only as a back-up plan.

Thanks for the tip. I haven't called the hotel yet, but I did check the plugshare app and it seems that the level 2 EVSE are only available via valet parking, so I was planning to call them to inquire further about availability.

Silvermagic3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I agree with wackojacko, hit the new Supercharging station in Vegas, as least to experience the 250 kW rate. I've charged in the Disneyland parking garage before and there are a TON of ChargePoint chargers, 60 I think, but it does fill up. So if your going on a weekend, you'll want to be plugged in early.

P-Lo801

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I agree with wackojacko, hit the new Supercharging station in Vegas, as least to experience the 250 kW rate. I've charged in the Disneyland parking garage before and there are a TON of ChargePoint chargers, 60 I think, but it does fill up. So if your going on a weekend, you'll want to be plugged in early.

I checked out the rates, and according to plugshare, they're $0.35 kWh. Isn't that the same rate for a V3 supercharger? Were you able to leave your car parked there the whole day? Were there any idle fees?

Silvermagic3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I checked out the rates, and according to plugshare, they're $0.35 kWh. Isn't that the same rate for a V3 supercharger? Were you able to leave your car parked there the whole day? Were there any idle fees?

I did leave it there most of the day about 12 hours, but they were shared 6.6 kW stations, meaning you'll get 3.3 kW per hour out of them, which over 12 hours is only 50% charge for our cars. If you have a low enough charge you could have your car there from the time the park opens to close and still be charging. This was in the older Mickey and Friends garage. I read somewhere that the chargers in the new garage, Pixar Pals, are all newer 6.6 kW (even when shared). No Idle fees that I know of. There are a lot of people that have plug-in hybrids that park there all day, which isn't cool.

TeslaM3-KT

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
You should make Kettleman City pretty easily from Sacramento in a LR RWD charged to 100%. Like others said above, don't rely on a L2 charger being available so you may want to supercharge once more before you head into Anaheim. For your roadtrip to Vegas, Baker does have 40 chargers so it may be easier to get an unshared charger, but I recommend stopping and charging at Yermo because Eddie's World is a pretty unique place to see. And then definitely check out the new V3 supercharger in the Vegas Strip! Enjoy the trip!

RocketRay

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I always send a message to hotels with destination chargers and ask them to make sure they're available. I also point out that I chose their hotel specifically because they have destination charging.