Time limit on fixing panel gaps?

rareohs

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
so I’ve had my car for almost 8 weeks. 2-3 weeks in i finally noticed a gap issue on the trunk, rear left totally not aligned right and doesn’t close 100% like the other side. Last week I noticed a smaller but still clear gap issue on the frunk.

Can post photos but mainly I’m worried that if I take it in now, they’d maybe claim it wasn’t delivered like that and fixing it will cost me a bundle of $$...

Any thoughts?

beantownrich

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Careful what you wish for. I had a laundry list of minor panel gaps issues that they said they would take care of. Long story short the body shop has had my car longer than I have (2.5 weeks). When I asked why the minor things were taking so long the answer was that getting the gaps right on this car is very "tedious work" but that I'll be very happy when it's back.

The trunk one you mention is definitely one that I had.

The SC basically said they will do everything they can to make me happy with the gaps. It's a great attitude. I wasn't really that bothered by them in the first place, but you can tell they want to get things right with the early Model 3s. So it may not hurt to ask them. I'm not complaining as they put me in a P85DL but I do miss my car greatly!

Good luck!

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So long as your car is under warranty a panel gap should be corrected at no cost.

Meanwhile Tesla is such a stand up company they fixed window trim that my tint shop scratched for $FREE! :D

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
so I’ve had my car for almost 8 weeks. 2-3 weeks in i finally noticed a gap issue on the trunk, rear left totally not aligned right and doesn’t close 100% like the other side. Last week I noticed a smaller but still clear gap issue on the frunk.

Can post photos but mainly I’m worried that if I take it in now, they’d maybe claim it wasn’t delivered like that and fixing it will cost me a bundle of $$...

Any thoughts?
I have similar issue on the left trunk gap (looking forward from rear) in which the gap on the right side is perfect compared to the left; it is clearly noticeable. I'll bring it up when I go to the SC for other things. Hate to leave Quicksilver for multi-days if that is what it takes. May wait until a month or two out since this is not super critical.

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

beantownrich

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My tail lights are fine in my opinion. Here are pics of the left and right trunk gaps...the right is much better; left is not too bad but serviceable:

View attachment 9359

View attachment 9360
Yea, pretty close to how mine looked (makes sense we're about 200 VINs apart). It's almost like the trunk lid was stamped wrong (or just at the end of the tolerance) which leads to the gaps and overlaps. Obviously nothing wrong with it, but it's one of those things that just catches the eye at inopportune moments. I'll be sure to let ya know how mine came out!

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yea, pretty close to how mine looked (makes sense we're about 200 VINs apart). It's almost like the trunk lid was stamped wrong (or just at the end of the tolerance) which leads to the gaps and overlaps. Obviously nothing wrong with it, but it's one of those things that just catches the eye at inopportune moments. I'll be sure to let ya know how mine came out!
Please do, I am curious to see if they can fix it. The tech at the SC during my delivery adjusted the rubber stopper under the trunk and it looked like it helped a little but nothing compared to the right side.