Time Lapse Video of MSM Model 3 Rear Quarter Panel Replacement

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Holy Cow! Body work on the Model 3 is a huge PITA!

This Tesla Approved body shop in Austin posted a time lapse video of a MSM Model 3 with right rear passenger door and quarter panel damage. It looks like the quarter panel was replaced and possibly the rear passenger door. Then both right passenger doors, the trunk, and quarter panel were repainted. Interesting to see under the quarter panel but it is a LONG video even after time lapse (over 7 mins) and this repair shop looks like they pay a lot of attention to detail.

In the comments of the vid, @Matthias Fritz asks the total hours of this repair but there’s no reply yet.

UTexas98

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This is my exact configuration and I live in Austin. It was painful to watch. Heh Everyone on the Austin Tesla group says this is the shop that does the best work.

Holy Cow! Body work on the Model 3 is a huge PITA!

This Tesla Approved body shop in Austin posted a time lapse video of a MSM Model 3 with right rear passenger door and quarter panel damage. It looks like the quarter panel was replaced and possibly the rear passenger door. Then both right passenger doors, the trunk, and quarter panel were repainted. Interesting to see under the quarter panel but it is a LONG video even after time lapse (over 7 mins) and this repair shop looks like they pay a lot of attention to detail.

In the comments of the vid, @Matthias Fritz asks the total hours of this repair but there’s no reply yet.

MGallo

J.A.R.V.I.S. is awesome!
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'd be curious how good the paint match was. I'm about to get my left rear door repainted due to a flaw at delivery and I am really nervous about it even though the shop is supposed to be the best and they work exclusively on Tesla's. I'm half tempted to ask them again if they can just repair the spot and not paint the whole door. It's not a super visible spot and I'm afraid it will be worse off afterwards.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I'm half tempted to ask them again if they can just repair the spot and not paint the whole door. It's not a super visible spot and I'm afraid it will be worse off afterwards.
If you plan on actually using this car for transportation (and not just mothballing it as a collectable) I would probably just buff and wax it and not worry. In 3 or 4 years you will laugh that you were ever concerned about such a minor cosmetic blemish that can barely be seen.

MGallo

J.A.R.V.I.S. is awesome!
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If you plan on actually using this car for transportation (and not just mothballing it as a collectable) I would probably just buff and wax it and not worry. In 3 or 4 years you will laugh that you were ever concerned about such a minor cosmetic blemish that can barely be seen.
Did you see it?

Attachments

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This Tesla Approved body shop in Austin posted a time lapse video of a MSM Model 3 with right rear passenger door and quarter panel damage.
I love the look at the rear quarter after the panel is removed. There are a couple of extremely beefy-looking boxed sections behind there. Makes me feel better about surviving major accidents in this thing.