Thread for people waiting for SR & discussion/speculation on SR

Elphie2983

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I hope this is okay, I didn't necessarily see a thread devoted to SR and the people waiting for it so I thought I'd create one...I'm planning on waiting for the SR, which makes me sad, because that time is not now :) I reserved online, east coast, about 15 min after the reservations were opened up. Anyone else waiting for SR? I wish we had more information, or that I knew they were working on it :)

Carl_P

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I hope this is okay, I didn't necessarily see a thread devoted to SR and the people waiting for it so I thought I'd create one...I'm planning on waiting for the SR, which makes me sad, because that time is not now :) I reserved online, east coast, about 15 min after the reservations were opened up. Anyone else waiting for SR? I wish we had more information, or that I knew they were working on it :)
I am exact same situation as you. Feels like we're not seeing our cars till 2019, and in that case, a shaved-down tax credit and therefore a big hit to my possibilities of ever becoming an owner. I wanted a $30k-$35k all-in expense (after credit and taxes). It's starting to look like $40k+ (no credit), which is quite simply too much for me.

I feel the Model 3 is drifting away, sadly

Defjukie

Country
Country
I'm in this camp.... It is really frustrating that we don't have any information other than a very general (and flexible) timeline for SR production. Even though I reserved the minute the website went live, I am pretty convinced that I will not get my car until next year if I wait for SR.

Russell

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I really want the SR $35K car + PUP + EAP. So with a color, that was going to be around $46k. I was really bummed when they moved all SR to Early 2019 because not only is the wait painful, but it also means that we'll most likely get only half or quarter of the Federal Tax Credit, assuming there isn't additional tax reform that completely removes it. I'm really torn on whether or not to spring for the LR. I just feel really crappy about spending $55k on a car though.

Ode to Joy

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
I'm in this camp.... It is really frustrating that we don't have any information other than a very general (and flexible) timeline for SR production. Even though I reserved the minute the website went live, I am pretty convinced that I will not get my car until next year if I wait for SR.
Also a little frustrated with the lack of information on options, and vague timelines. It is probably because they can't be more specific with the timelines, but it would be nice to know what the standard finishes are inside versus the PUP finishes.
Pricing would be nice to know too. Again, they might not know themselves until they get their production line up and running.

Living in the mountains I would prefer the SR with AWD. Might opt for PUP if the standard finishes do not include heated seats. I will just wait until asked to configure and ask questions then about options/prices. And importantly, I will keep an eye out for when the 200K car threshold is reached as this is a factor too. When the hit 200 K cars that will be reported to the government so we should be able to know that readily.

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
I'm in this group too. My original estimate for the SR was Jan-Mar 2018 and now it has moved to end of 2018 (in store 10:20am reservation). I'm really disappointed as this pushes it beyond my time frame. We replaced my Fiat 500e with an ICE car last Aug so that we could wait longer for the Tesla. Now we will have to turn in our VW diesel by August so that will be our last chance to get the Tesla for the next 9-10 years (the time we usually keep our cars). I'm also disappointed about losing the rebate making the car much more expensive.

I'm surprised so many people have been opting for the 49K+ version. Perhaps Tesla was too and they decided to see how many people they can get to order at this level by not producing a SR option. With no option to step down it seems like more people spend the money to get it now.

I'm keeping my reservation, just in case Tesla changes its mind and makes some SR's available earlier. I'm not hopeful though.

Last edited:
Country
Country
I've popped into some of the other threads stating that LR with full tax credit vs. SR with partial credit is creating a difficult decision for me. I would LOVE to get the LR. If I had the money, I'd have already submitted my order.

But...I have to be honest with myself and admit I really can't justify (or afford) the LR payments. Even the SR is way more than I would have ever considered spending on a car. So I'm waiting (im)patiently along with you all. I even have to figure out buying a beater car next month because my lease is up and I've already extended it as far as I can. The only good part is that I'll have several more months to save up for my down payment.

Elphie2983

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I really want the SR $35K car + PUP + EAP. So with a color, that was going to be around $46k. I was really bummed when they moved all SR to Early 2019 because not only is the wait painful, but it also means that we'll most likely get only half or quarter of the Federal Tax Credit, assuming there isn't additional tax reform that completely removes it. I'm really torn on whether or not to spring for the LR. I just feel really crappy about spending $55k on a car though.
All the *this* ^^^ I feel exactly the same (although I don't really care if it's PUP or not) but I have no real immediate need for the LR version, and the 55k it will cost :/ My honda is a happy little trooper, so i'm not concerned about that, my husbands car a honda civic hybrid is on its last legs...but refuses to die......sooooo we wait. I'm glad i'm not the only person though :) So many people seem to have opted for the LR, I wanted to convene people who are waiting for SR :) I don't want to be alone!!! :)

BluestarE3

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm planning on getting the PUP with my SR, so my price spread isn't as big as with those of you who are going with the $35K base model. However, I still have a hard time justifying the $9K difference, even if it means I may lose some of the Federal tax credit. I'm planning to pay with cash, so I don't have to worry about financing a more expensive car, but I'd still have to pay insurance every year on that pricier car. I'd rather spend the extra money on a nice European vacation with my wife or put it into a college fund for our grandchild.

As a retiree, I don't have to commute anymore, so I don't really need the extra range. And even though my Prius is 17 years-old, it has a relatively new replacement traction battery, so it's not as if I need to get a new car right away. On the other hand, although we "seniors" may have learned the value of patience over the years, we can't wait around forever. ;) My friends and family keep asking where's that Tesla I've been talking about for the past two years. Most poignantly, one of my dear friends, to whom I had promised a test ride in my Model 3, passed away recently.

I'm a first-day line-waiter, so I should be getting my invitation soon. However, I'm planning to wait a few more months to see if there's any new movement (in either direction) for the SR version to become available. If it improves or remains unchanged, great, I'll wait it out. If it appears the SR will get pushed out again (well into 2019 or beyond), then I may have to rethink my reluctance to go with the LR.

Vendacious

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm waiting for SR too, mostly because I feel like $9k is too much for a LR battery that I don't need. I'm still trying to decide if I want PUP or not. I really want power adjustable seats with driver memory but the rest of it I don't care about or in some cases would prefer not to have at all (I'm looking at you open-pore wood).

I ordered April 2, 2016, so my estimated delivery is now "Early 2019". There's is no way I will buy LR. If SR gets pushed further I'll lease a car from somebody else and wait a few years until Tesla gets their act together.

Country
Country
Regarding the financial implications of waiting for the SR at the risk of losing the full $7,500 tax credit: has anybody checked to see what affect the new tax laws will have on your individual tax situation? Some of us who would owe $7,500 or more in federal taxes (thus qualifying to take full advantage of the $7,500 tax credit) might owe LESS next year due to more favorable tax laws. Bottom line: if you wait for SR in early 2019 and the tax credit drops to $3,750, you may discover that due to more favorable tax laws you would not have been able to use the full $7,500 tax credit anyway!! So now you have another way to justify your Model 3 purchase even if you only get half the $7,500 tax credit!;)

Mark C

Country
Country
Some of us who would owe $7,500 or more in federal taxes (thus qualifying to take full advantage of the $7,500 tax credit) might owe LESS next year due to more favorable tax laws. Bottom line: if you wait for SR in early 2019 and the tax credit drops to $3,750, you may discover that due to more favorable tax laws you would not have been able to use the full $7,500 tax credit anyway!!
I was close to the full $7500 tax amount, but am sure I no longer will be since our taxes were reduced {Thanks Pres. Trump!}. Since I am beyond 59.5 yo, I may just take however much out of my IRA to drive the tax owed up and my down payment down and claim the full amount. I wanted the SR / PUP / Blue, but if I get to order in time to get the full credit, I will.

IMHO, there are a LOT of people waiting for a less expensive 3 and if it becomes available after the full tax credit disappears, the floodgates will open again and the delivery preference takes me out of the equation for quite some time. From that point in time and as an Alabama resident, I think even the $3750 tax credit will disappear before I could take possession of the SR car.

ChrisV

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am also holding out for a SR...was undecided on PUP or not but really wanted/needed the glass roof for height concerns (I am 6'7") so was holding out a slight hope they'd make that an option somehow without all the other crap.

I got up super early in the morning to stand in line in person at a store knowing that likely would be the best way to secure the full tax credit, and was counting on that financially to make it work out.

So I am real bummed to possibly lose out on the full tax credit...feels like we fought so hard to keep it going at the end of last year and now even after all that fighting we could still lose out on getting it.

It kinda feels like the promised 35k(36k) car is "vaporware" at this point...but will have to hold out small hope they will be able to massage the US cars sold numbers to keep the full tax credit through end of year and actually come out with the SR version before end of year.

Problem is there will be a flood of people wanting it and I am not sure how they will handle priority on all those people waiting for it. By then there will be all the online orders in the mix as well as they work down the list. Will it be a free for all with everyone who still has an invite in hold status or will there be some sort of order on all these massive amount of holds (owners first still over actual reservation time again) ?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It kinda feels like the promised 35k(36k) car is "vaporware" at this point...but will have to hold out small hope they will be able to massage the US cars sold numbers to keep the full tax credit through end of year and actually come out with the SR version before end of year.

Problem is there will be a flood of people wanting it and I am not sure how they will handle priority on all those people waiting for it
My opinion is that Musk is going to try to get the full credit for all of the line-waiters. It seems like Tesla is making some moves to extend the 200,000th US delivery into Q3, but @Troy is the numbers man, and he seems to think that Tesla is going to cross that point in April, so I wouldn't count on that. So we might have to settle for half-credit.

I know that hurts, but remember that Tesla has been burning through cash at an incredible rate in order to bring the 3 to production. They need to become profitable this year, or they're going to run into more problems. And the best way for them to become profitable is to sell as many high-option, high-margin cars as they can to start.

Tripplett

Country
Country
“I am not sure how they will handle priority on all those people waiting for it. By then there will be all the online orders in the mix as well as they work down the list. Will it be a free for all with everyone who still has an invite in hold status or will there be some sort of order on all these massive amount of holds (owners first still over actual reservation time again)?”
My guess - current owners will again have priority.

Digital man

Country
Country
Well, my dear Elphie, if I was God, or His Son, I would have giving you your Tesla tomorrow, but Tesla believes in profit, and who can blame them! So wait your turn in line!

Russell

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Over on reddit, folks say that if the first production model 3 is a stretch for you financially, that you should not worry about losing out on the full tax credit. The reason is that your income isn’t likely high enough to take full advantage of the $7500 credit and the $3750 should still be good enough. I was planning on SR, PUP and EAP, so the difference really is 9k for me, but still can’t justify spending that when I drive 40 miles a day.

Griff

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Over on reddit, folks say that if the first production model 3 is a stretch for you financially, that you should not worry about losing out on the full tax credit. The reason is that your income isn’t likely high enough to take full advantage of the $7500 credit and the $3750 should still be good enough.
This is a gross oversimplification of people's finances. My income is reasonably high (enough to pay 7500 in taxes annually), but I have a lot of bills, hence the inability to buy a $55k car. Don't believe everything you read on the internet.