The Top Gear car review: Tesla Model 3

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Jayc

Country
Country
That is an achievement.

Especially since 9/10 and 10/10 have been reserved for noisy polluting ICE with multiple fat pipes and colourful badges exception being VW which has a shortcut route to 9/10 especially if it competes with environment friendly Japanese alternatives.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So, so many mistakes. I wish journalists were.... better.
  • ...So, the Autopilot system – a $5,000 option, or $8,000 if you want to prepare the car with all the sensors and cameras it’ll need in the future... (no, the sensors and cameras are standard)
  • ...The dash is nothing but a slab of wood running the full width (less appealing plastic on the base models)... (we don't know that yet)
  • ...Also, how Tesla manage to make real hide look like pleather is endlessly fascinating... (there is no real hide in the 3)
  • ...whereas superchargers used to be free with the Model S and Model X, you have to pay as you go with the 3, although there’s an allowance of around five to six free supercharges per year... (there's no allowance for the 3 - that's for the S and X)

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
I really don't understand how this reviewer comes to an 8/10 rating.

It seems from the review that they really enjoyed the car and the shortcomings that they listed are:
Against:
Enormous waiting list, constant attention, superchargers no longer free​

Why should those things be held against a car during a review? it's like saying a Ferrari attracts too much attention or an ICE doesn't get free gas. And the waiting list counts against the car in a review? I can walk into any Ford dealer and buy a Focus today but I don't think the Focus should get bonus points for that.

I feel that mainstream car reviewers are still trying to figure out how to do write ups for EVs. They are torn between comparing it to an ICE, comparing it to other EVs, and writing for an audience only familiar with ICE cars. Also, reviewers generally don't know how to discuss the UI or software features because NO OTHER CAR COMPANY has every had a dynamic feature that is continually updated and improved. Realistically, a reviewer can write up a deficiency (like lack of scroll wheel functionality) that will be an obsolete, inaccurate comment by the time the review is published.

This really brings me back to when the iPhone was first released. Motorola and Nokia dominated the market and none of the reviewers really understood why we needed a phone with no buttons made by a computer company. Dare I say, in a few months, everyone will understand what the Model 3 and Tesla really are and how disruptive they will be to the automotive industry.

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

It seems from the review that they really enjoyed the car and the shortcomings that they listed are:
Against:

Why should those things be held against a car during a review? it's like saying a Ferrari attracts too much attention or an ICE doesn't get free gas. And the waiting list counts against the car in a review? I can walk into any Ford dealer and buy a Focus today but I don't think the Focus should get bonus points for that.

I feel that mainstream car reviewers are still trying to figure out how to do write ups for EVs. They are torn between comparing it to an ICE, comparing it to other EVs, and writing for an audience only familiar with ICE cars. Also, reviewers generally don't know how to discuss the UI or software features because NO OTHER CAR COMPANY has every had a dynamic feature that is continually updated and improved. Realistically, a reviewer can write up a deficiency (like lack of scroll wheel functionality) that will be an obsolete, inaccurate comment by the time the review is published.

This really brings me back to when the iPhone was first released. Motorola and Nokia dominated the market and none of the reviewers really understood why we needed a phone with no buttons made by a computer company. Dare I say, in a few months, everyone will understand what the Model 3 and Tesla really are and how disruptive they will be to the automotive industry.
Wait, gas isn’t free?

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Why is a waiting list for a car a negative? You don't see them say on the Ferrari Enzo "we had to deduct a point because they only sold to people they invited." I haven't seen any comments about Ford's strict sales policy on the new GT. Frankly the fact so many people want the car so bad should bring the score UP. I remember when I got the new Mustang GT in 2005 and I had to wait for a year almost for the car. I didn't see reviewers giving that a negative at all.

@gravityrydr

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So, so many mistakes. I wish journalists were.... better.
  • ...So, the Autopilot system – a $5,000 option, or $8,000 if you want to prepare the car with all the sensors and cameras it’ll need in the future... (no, the sensors and cameras are standard)
  • ...The dash is nothing but a slab of wood running the full width (less appealing plastic on the base models)... (we don't know that yet)
  • ...Also, how Tesla manage to make real hide look like pleather is endlessly fascinating... (there is no real hide in the 3)
  • ...whereas superchargers used to be free with the Model S and Model X, you have to pay as you go with the 3, although there’s an allowance of around five to six free supercharges per year... (there's no allowance for the 3 - that's for the S and X)
I wonder where the reporter even got that misinformation.

Ken Voss

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Against:

When you understand that Top Gear is like the Fox news of car reviews an 8/10 is really excellent. Top Gear is biased and favors European cars over all others. It would be like Fox news saying a democratic candidate gets an 8/10 rating because she is a female minority.

NJturtlePower

Living the Dream, Driving the Future!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
When you understand that Top Gear is like the Fox news of car reviews an 8/10 is really excellent.
Yeah, there's that, and we know how Tesla and Top Gear have a bit of a "History", so maybe they are going easy on it.