Tesla Owners Online Forum banner

The Technical Thread - Salvage Owners Welcomed

10K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Nintendo80 
#1 ·
As the owner of the Unofficial Tesla Tech wiki, welcome to The Technical Thread, the official support location for the wiki.

All questions welcomed although the focus will be on hacking the firmware and hardware, rooting your car, making desired changes to firmware, and solving problems.

I'll do my best to be here but am very busy so may be off and on.

#2 ·
Perhaps it is time to look for a salvage, CCS-1 connector and controller to connect to the traction battery. This could open up access to Electrify America and EVgo for charging. Make it a kit and let Tesla know you've found a bypass for their locked cars. Done right, it could open up the high-speed, CCS-1 network interfaces for any Tesla.

Bob Wilson

Reactions: jdcollins5
#3 ·
Seems like Electrify America and EVgo are rather expensive.

When Tesla disables Supercharging, they are taking away a feature of the car which was paid for at original purchase. So root the car and re-enable Sc.

OTOH if your car did not come with Sc or it expired, yours is a good workaround. Another option is ChaDEmo, although that would need to be enabled in firmware. (as root)

#8 ·
I have an MCU2. and a model s with mcu 1 issues, Anyone moving customers from mcu1 to mcu2 on AP1? And just a question but I can't find the MCU1 dc power pins on the Tesla wiring diagrams I have. Sure would like to power up this mcu2 and see if it actually works...

#7 ·
Seems like Electrify America and EVgo are rather expensive.

When Tesla disables Supercharging, they are taking away a feature of the car which was paid for at original purchase. So root the car and re-enable Sc.

OTOH if your car did not come with Sc or it expired, yours is a good workaround. Another option is ChaDEmo, although that would need to be enabled in firmware. (as root)
do you know of any rooting pros? I have a 2016 tesla 85D that needs supercharging and I am not a computer geek. If so, what's a typical fee for this? Need to know if i should dump my 2016 85D with 20K miles. Wife wasn't happy when supercharging dropped

#11 ·
Strategy:
  1. Parallel to battery management system (BMS) - experimentally verify you can access the battery to apply a charge. There is a ground fault signal you'll have to block or handle. Then test adding DC charge to the battery does not trigger another fault. I would first investigate the output of the built-in AC charger as the access point to the battery. In effect the CCS-1 interface would parallel with the regular Tesla/J1772 charger circuit.
  2. Master the CCS-1 protocol - this requires understanding the protocol to deal with the CCS-1 fast DC charger.
  3. Determine how to interface with BMS - they key is avoid over voltage and over current charging as well as triggering battery thermal management
  4. Mechanical mount and cable routing - non-trivial, this means a safe, weatherproof assembly.
It might be easier to see if the CHAdeMO adapter still works. Normally limited to 50 kW, it might provide a shortcut.

Bob Wilson

#14 ·
A lot of CHAdeMO are 50 kW limited and the are going away. Rethinking a homemade CCS-1, there are mounting problems as well as interface to the pack battery management system.

If Rich Rebuilds does one, it could work as he has experience and familiarity with that part of our Tesla. Instead helped hack an ICE into a Tesla shell.

Bob Wilson

#16 · (Edited)
In theory, a Tesla on a four-wheel, dynamo could be charged mechanically via 'regeneration.' So a home with 200 A, 240 VAC service might set 100 A x 240 AC ~= 24 kW regeneration power. Certainly not cheap, eBay shows a 30 kW motor for as low as $1,500. Then there is the controller and dual set of rollers.

Back of envelope, probably needs 3-phase. With adjustable rollers, might be a universal solution. ‘Rich Rebuild’s Recharge’

Bob Wilson

Reactions: Madmolecule
#17 ·
Morning Guys does anyone know or can help with the following issue??? I did a software redeploy while the loop was open (I did not realize it) and everything crashed of course, meaning update failed. Because of the loop open I found millions of MIA in the alert list, mainly BMS ... DIF_a092_bmsMIA, DI_a092_bmsMIA, DIR_a092_bmsMIA, PMF_a037_hvpMIA, DIF_a119_hvpMIA, and 10 more MIA messages. any attempt to redeploy the software fail, charge port is locked and it won't open and the battery mileage shows zero or null. Any idea? my theory is that I can’t reinstall the software now because of the mismatch between different module since some got updated and some where no connected when I runned the software with the loop open. Is there a way to reset everything? or is there a way to update the firmware by ecu/module?? Thanks in advance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.