The quest for the perfect trash bin

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

rickster

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I’ve been looking for a good place to put trash in my new Model 3. The front center console has the space, except it works a bit better for holding the tissue box and after that there’s not much space left. I’d rather have the trash bin behind the console anyway — better the kids in the backseat rely on me to hand them fresh tissue than have them passing me dirty ones for the trash.

One great thing about Model 3 is that the back of the console cuts inward (forward) a bit, so there’s some space underneath it that’s still easy to reach from the front seats. Between that and the completely flat floor, you could put (in theory) put something there without really cutting into even the middle rear passenger’s space. (Way better than the bump in the floor at that spot in most sedans.)

In practice, though, that space has some limits. As some have noted, it’s almost exactly the footprint of a standard 5” x 5” x 10” tissue box. But the space has a low roof that interferes with putting anything much taller under there. There’s about 9” of clearance under the back edge of the console, but only about 5” height at the deepest (front most) edge of that space.

Most of the things sold as automotive trash bins don’t fit this space very well. Many are too tall for the sloping underside of the console, so they tip over. Many are also narrow, so they don’t make good use of the available footprint. (And at least as far as my tastes are concerned, forget about the ones designed to hang off the back of a seat or the side of the front console. So tacky.)

I’ve done a bit of shopping around, so this thread will collect observations on the options I’ve tried...

rickster

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
MATCC Car Garbage Can Magic Straps Car Trash Bin Waterproof Thick Litter Bag Car Storage Bag Back Seat Organizer

The best so far, so it’s what’s in my Model 3 for now.

Pro: Taller than an empty tissue box, but not too tall. Velcro on the bottom sticks to the floor well, and the sides are flexible enough to be pushed back and out so that there’s still an opening reachable from the front or back seats.

Con: Odd size for using a plastic grocery/takeout bag as a liner, nothing to hold a liner in place.

Neutral: Also comes with adhesive Velcro strips for attaching the back/side to a vertical surface. (But those aren’t really needed in this spot.)

Mayhem

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
This is a great thread (as I have 2 messy kids). Following.... and will order the MATCC for now. You are a god among men @rickster

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Con: Odd size for using a plastic grocery/takeout bag as a liner, nothing to hold a liner in place.
from the amazon listing, it looks like they intend you to tuck the excess top parts of a liner under elastic straps on each side. (maybe in reality it doesn't really work so well)
screen-shot-2018-09-21-at-8-44-50-pm-png.14908

rickster

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
from the amazon listing, it looks like they intend you to tuck the excess top parts of a liner under elastic straps on each side. (maybe in reality it doesn't really work so well)
View attachment 14908
Yeah, they don’t look like they’d hold anything very well. More so my problem is that your standard disposable grocery/takeout bag is way too big for this can, so I’d have to find a different source of liners. (Not like you can get those bags easily in California anymore, anyway.)

Nobody gets to eat in my car, my youngest is now 4 and stays pretty clean (for her age), and coffee cups just stay in the cupholders till we get to someplace with a real trash can... most of what accumulates in my car for later dumping is used tissue and paper stuff like parking receipts.

Honestly, what I could really use is a neat way to keep the two kinds of trash separated. I feel bad trashing recyclable paper, but don’t have a great place to keep it. For now it just goes in the door pocket, but that’s kinda tacky.

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just ordered a JAVOedge Black Small Car Trash Can With Lid, Flexible Material, Fits in Most Side Doors. It’s on the smaller side, but I’m not looking for something capable of dealing with toddler messes or fast food trash - just Kleenex, parking slips, etc. I’ll post a photo of how it fits in the model 3 door when it arrives.
It’ll work just fine for me. Though the top flap does seem fairly useless. It is nice and small, does fit into the narrow rear part of the door slot while leaving the forward part of the door slot open.

Attachments

Sandy

One obsession to the next
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’ve been looking for a good place to put trash in my new Model 3. The front center console has the space, except it works a bit better for holding the tissue box and after that there’s not much space left. I’d rather have the trash bin behind the console anyway — better the kids in the backseat rely on me to hand them fresh tissue than have them passing me dirty ones for the trash.

One great thing about Model 3 is that the back of the console cuts inward (forward) a bit, so there’s some space underneath it that’s still easy to reach from the front seats. Between that and the completely flat floor, you could put (in theory) put something there without really cutting into even the middle rear passenger’s space. (Way better than the bump in the floor at that spot in most sedans.)

In practice, though, that space has some limits. As some have noted, it’s almost exactly the footprint of a standard 5” x 5” x 10” tissue box. But the space has a low roof that interferes with putting anything much taller under there. There’s about 9” of clearance under the back edge of the console, but only about 5” height at the deepest (front most) edge of that space.

Most of the things sold as automotive trash bins don’t fit this space very well. Many are too tall for the sloping underside of the console, so they tip over. Many are also narrow, so they don’t make good use of the available footprint. (And at least as far as my tastes are concerned, forget about the ones designed to hang off the back of a seat or the side of the front console. So tacky.)

I’ve done a bit of shopping around, so this thread will collect observations on the options I’ve tried...
I have this 3/4 sunglass tray which lets me keep a tissue box below (where the bin would go).

4f1621e7-b7ac-4c2a-bb58-cbe6e692d1a2-jpeg.14976

Last edited:
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Sandy

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Would it work with the holder at the top with the tissue opening at the bottom?
Sure. But the floor of the front bin is flat towards the front and then angles up towards the back. So if you move the square Kleenex box rearward it tilts the Kleenex box forward towards the front slot. If you want to move the bin forward and use the rear slot you could prop up the front of the box with something.

7e3aef52-e242-4021-bd67-6121d96d9756-jpeg.14981

rickster

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Have you looked at these yet? You could but the trash bin in the console and tissue bot on the rear floor under the vents.

https://www.mymod3.com/

https://www.mymod3.com/shop

I got their 3/4 sunglass tray which lets me keep a tissue box below (where the bin would go) Great product and a great cause:
Yep, I’ve already got the 3/4 tray on order. :D

Right now I keep sunglasses in the back part of the center console and there’s nothing on top of the tissue box in the front part. Looking forward to changing that, since it’s an awkward reach for the sunglasses. (Still prefer to have tissues up front, trash behind the console.)

Sandy

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I like that box and could live with it. If I spray painted it black :) Seriously though are your phone cables loose and uncovered to fit iPhones with cases? These guys also make a ‘taller ledge/retainer’ :

https://www.mymod3.com/product-page/phone-ledge-spacer
Thank you for sharing the idea to cover the phone area. I am waiting for nomad wireless Charging pad. The OEM black ledge fall out all the time so I left them that way. May be I did not put them right way so they don’t stay in place.
The tissue box covers come in beautiful colors in leather like materials and designs for both men and women. The quality is amazing and they are well made for the price.
Amazon product

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The OEM black ledge fall out all the time so I left them that way. May be I did not put them right way so they don’t stay in place.
It should not ‘fall off’ at all. It slides in and essentially clicks into place. If yours is falling off, it isn’t locking in, or something is broken.