the Opti-Coat thread

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Thomas Mikl

Country
Country
Really? "old fashion" carnauba wax? Collinite makes the best wax, but is that really what you want on modern paint?
Honestly it works really well in all cars I treat our i3, the KIA and the BMW 330i of my brother all have multicoat metallic pearl effect paints on them for the premium price.
I tried some other "nano coatings" (ok not opticoat) and several other stuff. However nothing comes close to Collinite when it comes to how shiny it is and how dirt and water just rolls off. Of course I guess that Opticoat might last longer, but the newest versions of Collinite lasted me a good 8-12 months. So I apply a coat every 6 months and I am golden.

Of course I also only wash my cars by hand with 2 bucket method etc.
Basically my car wash looks like this:
  • But alloy wheel cleaner on car
  • Foam up the car with Snow Foam and Chemical Brothers shampoo (foam gun)
  • Sit for 5min and brush off alloys in this time
  • Spray off foam with hose
  • Wash with microfiber washing mitt 2 grid guard buckets and Chemical Borthers shampoo
  • hose down car
  • dry with orange baby

Optional further steps:
  • use glide spray and car clay to get off all dirt
  • Use Fusso window coating to coat windows
  • Put on a coat of Collinite on paint
  • wipe down with microfibre cloith
  • put on alloy wheel finisher
  • put on tire finisher
I have yet to use a polisher since my cars do not get micro scratches like this and deeper scratches for door dings etc. I let a pro to remove them.

GTV6

Country
Country
More data for comparison: I have Modesta treatment on my White '15 Tdi with 54K miles, driven daily including NewEngland snow/salt/sand. I've only washed it maybe every other month ( in part because I think this car will end up in the crusher). It looks terrific when washed, water still beads and it's clear that less dirt adheres. No machine washes, but my washing technique has not been anywhere near meticulous on this car. It is garaged so don't know what effect that has. Warranty is seven years for the coating. I'm wondering with these coatings if the installation skill is as important as the chemical make-up itself. I went with Modesta because the detailer is someone I have known for years and trust 100% and that's his ongoing choice.

Akilae

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
when I bought my 2000 cougar, one of the things the dealership sold me on was a ceramic paint coating (it was before opti-coat was around and don't remember if they called it by a brand name)... but 17+ years later, when clean, it is still glossy and repeals water.
This car seriously looks gorgeous. Hard to believe that it is already 17 years old.

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Why not use the wash & wax every time?
I was waiting for that question. I actually don’t like it as much as the Wash & Shine, so I’ll take the benefit on every 4th wash but like the results more on the other 3 :)

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I've done some local area research and have found an Opticoat Pro Plus installer that is happy to come to my place (heated garage) to do the install (when that day comes, hopefully sometime before 31 Dec 2018).

I have been told by (local area) Opticoat installers and a local 3M (vinyl protection for exposed front surfaces) installer that the best way to do a vinyl wrap plus Opticoat treatment is to do the 3M wrap first, as they (the 3M guys) have to remove the Opticoat from any surface that the 3M wrap will be applied to.

Is this correct? Thanks.

Country
Country
Hey guys - got a questions that needs a solid answer. I did a c-quartz coating on all my painted surfaces, and now have some body work due to a bumper scratch. The body shop will be feathering paint onto door panels and rear lift gate - putting paint on top of my c-quartz. What do I tell the body shop? How does he need to prep the surfaces for proper new paint?
c-quartz
c-quartz
c-quartz

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Personally, I don't think it's worth spending thousands of dollars to resurface the car with film. I don't think I would ever get $2K-3K more in resale value from the next owner from fewer dings. And that's assuming a film prevents every ding. Call me skeptical on that one.

I do believe some people are super-obsessive about the appearance of their cars, and I'm not judging them for having an obsession like that. That would be far from the craziest obsession I know of. Totally cool if you're way into that.

I'm going to spend ~$100 for a kit to clean and coat the car myself initially, and probably not try to worry too much about "fixing the paint job first." I'll thoroughly clean it, coat it, and thereafter hand wash it with buckets and microfiber towels. It's going to be black so that may be every week or two. A year later, I'll recoat it for $99. I only car so much about the appearance of my car, despite how exciting a new car is at first. Lots of other things to spend time and money on...

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Personally, I don't think it's worth spending thousands of dollars to resurface the car with film. I don't think I would ever get $2K-3K more in resale value from the next owner from fewer dings. And that's assuming a film prevents every ding. Call me skeptical on that one.

I do believe some people are super-obsessive about the appearance of their cars, and I'm not judging them for having an obsession like that. That would be far from the craziest obsession I know of. Totally cool if you're way into that.

I'm going to spend ~$100 for a kit to clean and coat the car myself initially, and probably not try to worry too much about "fixing the paint job first." I'll thoroughly clean it, coat it, and thereafter hand wash it with buckets and microfiber towels. It's going to be black so that may be every week or two. A year later, I'll recoat it for $99. I only car so much about the appearance of my car, despite how exciting a new car is at first. Lots of other things to spend time and money on...
I'm with you 100%. Moreover I'm skeptical that when the coating gets dinged its just going to look bad.

Although count me in the minority that doesn't put a case or screen protector on their phone for the same reason :)

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Although count me in the minority that doesn't put a case or screen protector on their phone for the same reason :)
I don't either! Our family is all engineers and scientists and all of us fix phones for people. The first thing we do when we fix a broken screen is to take the protective case off.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
John, you sound how I feel about my M3. I spent the $ on tint b/c my wife insisted it was too warm. I almost went the Cquartz for $1400 but just couldn't do it. Remember someone on the forum saying "it's a car, not the Mona Lisa". I agree with you, to each his own.

My question to you is what did you end up doing and how does it work?

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
John, you sound how I feel about my M3. I spent the $ on tint b/c my wife insisted it was too warm. I almost went the Cquartz for $1400 but just couldn't do it. Remember someone on the forum saying "it's a car, not the Mona Lisa". I agree with you, to each his own.

My question to you is what did you end up doing and how does it work?
I carefully microfiber hand wash it every Saturday morning with a surfactant and Optimum wash/wax. Towel dry. Looks great. Has various small scratches and dings on it, roughly 50% my doing. Oh, and my son ground the rims on the curb side.

I still have the CQuartz UK kit. Haven’t summoned the energy to do it.

Car looks great.