the Opti-Coat thread

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Thomas Mikl

Country
Country
Yes, Liquid Glass gets very high reviews. One 16oz. can (around $22) will be enough to put 4 coats on a car like the model 3. It is necessary to apply several thin coats than one thick coat for the product to work - important to follow instructions! Apply several coats the first year and then reapply annually thereafter.

Here is the problem, it is a hazardous material and causes ozone depletion. It is very toxic and can cause lung damage if not used in well ventilated area. The product is banned for sale in California ( a leader in environmental protection, thank you Governor Brown). So I will probably pass on this product.
Thanks for that info. I did not know that, I just heard about it recently as Opti-Coat is not available anywhere in Europe.

I guess I will stay with my Soft99 Fusso Coat, that works well in my current car. As it is a wax it needs re-apply every 6 months or so (at least in my climate) but it is really good.
Of course there is also CQUartz that comes recommended, but I do not want to test on a Model 3 hehe, maybe I give it a shot on the old car.

TesLou

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I recently discovered a "no water" product called Wash Wax All. It's used by Boeing and Airbus to clean their airplanes. Easy to use, environmentally friendly, smells good, and works really well. A kit is $37 on Amazon and will wash 36 cars. It's what I plan on using for my M3.

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for that info. I did not know that, I just heard about it recently as Opti-Coat is not available anywhere in Europe.

I guess I will stay with my Soft99 Fusso Coat, that works well in my current car. As it is a wax it needs re-apply every 6 months or so (at least in my climate) but it is really good.
Of course there is also CQUartz that comes recommended, but I do not want to test on a Model 3 hehe, maybe I give it a shot on the old car.
There are alternatives out there under different names but do the same thing.

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Following up with my results on No Rinse Wash & Shine by Optimum Polymer Technologies.

Products used:
To start, you keep your car in a shaded area. Using my garage was great!

I used the 2 bucket method. Each bucket filled with 2 gallons of water. The wash bucket received 2 capfuls of No Rinse solution (1 oz). The other bucket is simply the rinse bucket to clean my microfiber towel before reuse.

I dunked the microfiber towel in the solution and then rang it out a bit, but still keeping it very wet.

Then worked a panel at a time. Having folded the microfiber into quarters allowed for 4 panels before returning to the rinse bucket to clean the towel.

The amount of dirt this stuff picks up is incredible!

After each panel was done, I dried it with a microfiber towel never letting the solution dry on the car. Note they say there is nothing wrong with it drying on the car aside from your need to rewash that panel.

I worked the car from top - down and then the inside the hood, door, and trunk.

Results are fantastic!

I see no swirling and the cars are shining. I only used 4 gallons of water total. There isn't water and dirt all over the place.

Overall very satisfied. Here are some pictures of the setup and my wife's car before and after. Note her trunk came with a sticker to protect from scratching and you see 2 year's worth of dirt on the edges as well as a scratch in the middle also with dirt baked in (I think it's time to just remove the sticker).

Total time spent on both cars was 90 minutes which included the wash, dry, wheels, tire shine applications, and cleaning the inside (just windows).

When the Tesla comes, I think I will do this weekly and every 4th week, I'll use Optimum No Rinse Wash & and Wax in place of the No Rinse Wash & Shine.

As an aside, I did read online you can skip the 2 bucket method by simply buying more microfiber towels and not reusing thereby eliminating the rinse bucket.

Pictures for proof (and I can try later to get some better ones out of the garage and in the sun).

2 bucket setup with microfiber sitting in solution on the left and rinse bucket on the right starting to fill with dirt.
img_1512-jpg.2134

Driver side rear quarter angle before and after!
img_1520-jpg.2135

Rear bumper before and after!
img_1521-jpg.2136

Passenger side rear quarter angle before and after!
img_1522-jpg.2137

Last edited:

ModFather

old CARmudgeon
Country
Country
@SoFlaModel3 I am inclined to believe you (as much as you can believe anyone who lives in Fla ;)). Will you now try the system on your HighnDie Snota? (that's what my grandfather called them and Toyota was Taiyote, rhymes with coyote, and he wasn't trying to be funny but he was 100% pure Irish so he couldn't help it ;))

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@SoFlaModel3 I am inclined to believe you (as much as you can believe anyone who lives in Fla ;)). Will you now try the system on your HighnDie Snota? (that's what my grandfather called them and Toyota was Taiyote, rhymes with coyote, and he wasn't trying to be funny but he was 100% pure Irish so he couldn't help it ;))
LOL!

My wife and I both have the same exact car actually. The pictures were of hers (white) and mine is a dark silver color (similar to my top choice Midnight silver metallic!).

Same results!

Sure enough it immediately started raining and my wife's car still looks great. Of course mine remains nice and dry in the garage ;)

Demetre

Country
Country
Does anyone have any experience with this product long term? Looks great now but how difficult is it to maintain? How durable is it? How difficult is it to remove, if you can? And, of course, how much is it to apply? I have had mixed results with the 3M film. Initially it was good but 2 years later it lost it's sheen and looks bad.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Does anyone have any experience with this product long term? Looks great now but how difficult is it to maintain? How durable is it? How difficult is it to remove, if you can? And, of course, how much is it to apply? I have had mixed results with the 3M film. Initially it was good but 2 years later it lost it's sheen and looks bad.
when I bought my 2000 cougar, one of the things the dealership sold me on was a ceramic paint coating (it was before opti-coat was around and don't remember if they called it by a brand name)... but 17+ years later, when clean, it is still glossy and repeals water.

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
when I bought my 2000 cougar, one of the things the dealership sold me on was a ceramic paint coating (it was before opti-coat was around and don't remember if they called it by a brand name)... but 17+ years later, when clean, it is still glossy and repeals water.
Wow. It looks pristine, Melinda!! Great pic!

I always thought - at the time - this generation of Cougars was aesthetically pleasing (no pun intended... :D) - looks like, in addition to the paint coating, the overall design still looks great! Sweet 17!! ;)

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Wow. It looks pristine, Melinda!! Great pic!

I always thought - at the time - this generation of Cougars was aesthetically pleasing (no pun intended... :D) - looks like, in addition to the paint coating, the overall design still looks great! Sweet 17!! ;)
it is an awesome car. the only reason it's still sitting in my garage after hardly being driven since buying the Solstice in 2011... IMO, it still looks current and has aged phenomenally well. You see it next to another 2000 era car, and it looks like a new(er) car for sure.
that said, I do plan to sell both it and the Sol by the time I get the Model 3. I put for sale graphics on the Cougar about 3 weeks ago, and haven't had the courage to actually drive it outside yet. :screamcat: lol. maybe today

Michael Russo

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
[QUOTE:confused:="garsh, post: 39765, member: 172"]Well, that's a big "nope" from me.

At the point where he opens the falcon wing doors, you can see the glossy non-coated part of the car, and compare it to the semi-gloss look of the coated part.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, that is kinda odd... couldn't they have coated the insides of the doors too?! :confused:

Michael Russo

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
(...)You see it next to another 2000 era car, and it looks like a new(er) car for sure.
(...)
Absolutely!
it is an awesome car. (...) haven't had the courage to actually drive it outside yet. :screamcat: lol. maybe today
Courage! ;) Think of this... (though I know it's not your color... ;))

JWardell

TOO Master Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
A reference for the 'coaters', in this case in Western Canada...

Oh Wow. I didn't realize they had a matte film coating. That looks impressive. But it must be insanely expensive to wrap the whole car! I have had the front ends of my last three cars wrapped (First two were $700, the last one had the higher quality xpel was $1000), I can imagine it must be at least $4-5 grand for the entire car. That's a lot of work.

Unlike matte paint, this is durable, replaceable, and reversible! So you really can get the matte grey look shown at the Model 3 introduction.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@JWardell I think you are about right on your guess for price.
There are some Model S owners (and X presumably) that had the entire car wrapped in the clear. @AEDennis was one, maybe he can give some insight.

AEDennis

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Oh Wow. I didn't realize they had a matte film coating. That looks impressive. But it must be insanely expensive to wrap the whole car! I have had the front ends of my last three cars wrapped (First two were $700, the last one had the higher quality xpel was $1000), I can imagine it must be at least $4-5 grand for the entire car. That's a lot of work.

Unlike matte paint, this is durable, replaceable, and reversible! So you really can get the matte grey look shown at the Model 3 introduction.
@JWardell I think you are about right on your guess for price.
There are some Model S owners (and X presumably) that had the entire car wrapped in the clear. @AEDennis was one, maybe he can give some insight.
Cost to wrap an S fully around SoCal ive seen as low as $5k to as high as $15k. Ours was closer to the middle back when there was less competition for the work.