garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Tesla Gets Smart and Rolls out Its Own Model S Repair, Service Vehicle

This won't work for bigger jobs, such as replacing wheels or seats. But this looks like a great choice for any repairs that don't require replacement of large parts. Seems strange that they wouldn't use a Model X as the basis of a repair vehicle - it would have provided a lot more interior space.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

This won't work for bigger jobs, such as replacing wheels or seats. But this looks like a great choice for any repairs that don't require replacement of large parts. Seems strange that they wouldn't use a Model X as the basis of a repair vehicle - it would have provided a lot more interior space.

It’s very cool, but I agree it’s odd to not use an X. Perhaps range is a concern? To that end also off they used a car with 21” wheels. Also given the old nose cone, I would be they took this car in off lease.

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Love the battery charger in the right rear of the trunk. Does the Model S have a 12V power supply back there?

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Makes sense to me to use an S instead of an X. Just look at how many pre-owned they have in inventory. Make use out of what you have. I'd bet they sell used model X's for more profit and quicker than the S. The older X's don't have fold flat 2nd row seats and there is quite a bit of storage space in the S. I'm guessing the difference in what service calls you could do in the X vs the S would be very small percentage. Overall I think it's the smart business decision.

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
For this purpose, they would remove all of the rear seats. I just thought that an X would have room to carry a replacement seat or wheel if required.
Yes they could remove all the seats and I agree it would give them more room but I bet they could fit a tire or seat into the back of a Model S. Maybe not as configured above but if they have other service cars with an empty back end it would fit almost any part they needed. I just think overall it makes better business sense. If they had as many used Model X's laying around then I'd say it would be a more logical choice but they are making use out of an oversupply of used cars. I really don't think there will be many parts they can't fit in the S. Plus I'm sure they are not replacing all the other service trucks they currently have so those can be tasked for the larger items that need to be carried.

tencate

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Here's what drove out to visit me in NM today. Not quite the same :) Still, the guy was clearly dressing the part and I was happy to see it, even if it's not a Tesla pickup truck.

Attachments