The new Fast EV Wheel for Model 3 is coming - help me design it!

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mad Hungarian

Resident M3OC Wheel/Tire Guru
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hey all,

After much rumour mongering we"re getting down to the nitty-gritty on our new lightweight aero EV wheel, which will have a specific 18x8.5 application for Model 3 to start (including P3D... OBVIOUSLY :)) and possibly more sizes and Tesla applications if all goes as planned.
We're close to finalizing the design, however I'd really appreciate it if you could all take 30 seconds to have a look and answer two questions about the removable aero inserts.
Survey is here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/KGB57QB

I'm sure this is going to prompt a slew of questions, and as laways I'll be more than pleased to answer, however please note that I'm currently travelling on vacation so responses may be somewhat sporadic.

Many thanks for your input!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Survey filled out! Very interested in that project!
I had a hard time choosing between front and rear mounted screws...
But if you'd asked 18 or 19 inches wheels I'd go for the 19's! I hope this size will be available.

Anyway, impressive job you've done so far, keep going!

MichelT3

Love those Aero's!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Design is rather disappointing. I had hoped for permanently closed wheels, not another variant of spoked wheels. I’ll keep the original Aeros.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
As it is a kind of "aero wheels for those who don't like aero wheels", it normal that those who like aero's don't like these ones.
I personally like the fact that you can remove the "covers".
As for the design, I would like them more curvy, to match the M3 design that has almost no angles. Original sport wheels suits perfectly the M3 IMO, but these new wheels look like a good compromise between design and efficiency.

Last edited:

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Sandy

One obsession to the next
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm guessing that the picture isn't of the actual wheel, and was chosen just as a visual aid for deciding how you would prefer the inserts be attached. In particular, Ian says that the new wheels are

And the pics in the survey appear directional to me.

@Mad Hungarian, can you clarify?
By non-directional i assumed one wheel pattern to be used on both sides of the car. Much like the stock 18” Aero’s. Basically turning backwards on one side.

Mad Hungarian

Resident M3OC Wheel/Tire Guru
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
By non-directional i assumed one wheel pattern to be used on both sides of the car. Much like the stock 18” Aero’s. Basically turning backwards on one side.
Correct!!
I realize calling a wheel design that clearly has a directional twist to it “non-directional” is a bit counterintuitive but wheel folks tend to borrow terminology from the tire industry, where there are plenty of examples of tread designs that have a directional component to them but are not “left and right” specific and therefore non-directional.
Although the aftermarket and even a few OEMs flirted with true left-side/right-side directional designs in the late 80’s and occasionally since, they’ve pretty much died as they’re a huge PITA when it comes to tooling costs and inventory management.

In other news, these ARE the finalists.
The production wheels will be very close to what you see in the survey.
And you all were the first outside our building to see them :).

Frog

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
These (I know... A bit outdated...)
1553002703239-png.23515

Or (you know me, I know you, ^^):
1553002736212-png.23516

Mysta

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
To those that want 'permanent aeros' Any weight you add would negate the aero effect. Think it's a contradictory ask.

mswlogo

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I filled out the survey. But I had a tough time choosing on both questions.

Even if I prefer the cleaner look of no visible screws I tend to not like doing anything from the back of the wheel. I think the screws kind of add to the looks in some way too.

I can see why the survey was needed though. Very nice looking wheel.

I agree also that if they were 19" I suspect you might sell a boat load of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.