The Multi-Coat Red Passionate Space

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Tesla Newbie

Newbie No More!
TOO Supporting Member
Green Level Supporter
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model Y
Red is the color of speed, of passion, of competition, and of confidence. It is the color of an exquisite wine, a burning ember, and a lingering kiss. Post your best photos of the Model 3 draped in Red Multi-Coat here.

phigment

Country
Country
Great idea. Would be good to have a thread for each colour.
One thing I'd like to see is the red in the same lighting/beside other manufacturer colours. It's really hard to get a feeling for what the colour is like due to colour balance and lighting conditions.

It would be really great to have a baseline against which we can compare.

I'm taking delivery of my MC Red on the 19th. I'll try to get some good comparison pics against my Mazda CX-5 Soul Red (metallic flake) and my Toyota Matrix Radiant Red (flat red).

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Great idea. Would be good to have a thread for each colour.
One thing I'd like to see is the red in the same lighting/beside other manufacturer colours. It's really hard to get a feeling for what the colour is like due to colour balance and lighting conditions.

It would be really great to have a baseline against which we can compare.

I'm taking delivery of my MC Red on the 19th. I'll try to get some good comparison pics against my Mazda CX-5 Soul Red (metallic flake) and my Toyota Matrix Radiant Red (flat red).
And the Tesla multi-coat red just makes the comparison that much trickier to capture, since it will look different in various lighting conditions, where most others will look pretty match the same throughout the day

phigment

Country
Country
And the Tesla multi-coat red just makes the comparison that much trickier to capture, since it will look different in various lighting conditions, where most others will look pretty match the same throughout the day
What makes it like that? I've only seen one MC Red in person, and that was on a Model S. It was on a sunny day and looked fabulous. It's not metallic, so why would it be difficult to capture?

I find with my Toyota there's a big difference in how it looks when dirty and washed. Then giving it a good polish really makes it pop. Can't say the same for other colours I've had like Platinum Grey (metallic mid grey on a VW GLI).

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
What makes it like that? I've only seen one MC Red in person, and that was on a Model S. It was on a sunny day and looked fabulous. It's not metallic, so why would it be difficult to capture?

I find with my Toyota there's a big difference in how it looks when dirty and washed. Then giving it a good polish really makes it pop. Can't say the same for other colours I've had like Platinum Grey (metallic mid grey on a VW GLI).
Because it is multi coat. It has a solid red base coat and a tinted translucent coat over that. It’s essentially the modern day equivalent of the mid century candy apple paints. It gives it extra depth, if looking straight down thru the paint layers will be different than catching it at an angle (which you never see a car at just a single plane) because of that tinted coat.

phigment

Country
Country
Because it is multi coat. It has a solid red base coat and a tinted translucent coat over that. It’s essentially the modern day equivalent of the mid century candy apple paints. It gives it extra depth, if looking straight down thru the paint layers will be different than catching it at an angle (which you never see a car at just a single plane) because of that tinted coat.
Awesome, I didn't know it was a tinted coat. I never found an explanation of multicoat (didn't look that hard). I had just thought they put an extra layer for durability and used a clear coat top.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Awesome, I didn't know it was a tinted coat. I never found an explanation of multicoat (didn't look that hard). I had just thought they put an extra layer for durability and used a clear coat top.
the pearl is a multicoat also - I think (not not positive) the glittery sparkle is in a clear (or translucent) coat, not in the base opaque white like most metallics would be.

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
@LUXMAN I so want to hate you for having your Red 3 already but I can't, not after seeing those pictures :D (<- appropriate as I AM green with envy but happy)
:) Ha! I just love this thing so much I want everyone to see it and spread the joy....do you think that is why I picked RED? So everyone would look at me? Hummmmmmmm
This might require some psychoanalysis.

KGTES

Country
Country
@LUXMAN It looks beautiful, I think it's the best color in terms of pop and visual appeal in my biased opinion ;):).
Finally got my VIN, payment being overnighted today, so hopefully mine will be put on a truck by Friday..

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
@LUXMAN It looks beautiful, I think it's the best color in terms of pop and visual appeal in my biased opinion ;):).
Finally got my VIN, payment being overnighted today, so hopefully mine will be put on a truck by Friday..
SWEET! Finally. I cant wait to see it and hear what you think.

Last edited: