The "LOL Homecharging" Thread

mtdoak

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm curious if anyone is in a similar situation to me where home charging simply isn't an option.

My wife is finishing her residency in June, and we have zero plugs accessible outside where the car is parked, even 110V. We are moving in June and hopefully will have access to a garage with a 110V plug. Even then though, it's doubtful I'll have a nema 14-50 unless the landlord is willing to put one in for me. We will be in that area for a year, and be moving again, then buying a house. Thankfully, I will be working 100% from home, so my miles/week should be reasonably low, and I should be able to top off around town.

So, it'll be probably 15-18 months of Tesla ownership without anything more than Local Superchargers (there is one around 10 miles away from me) and L2 chargers. Anyone else in a similar boat to me?

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm curious if anyone is in a similar situation to me where home charging simply isn't an option.

My wife is finishing her residency in June, and we have zero plugs accessible outside where the car is parked, even 110V. We are moving in June and hopefully will have access to a garage with a 110V plug. Even then though, it's doubtful I'll have a nema 14-50 unless the landlord is willing to put one in for me. We will be in that area for a year, and be moving again, then buying a house. Thankfully, I will be working 100% from home, so my miles/week should be reasonably low, and I should be able to top off around town.

So, it'll be probably 15-18 months of Tesla ownership without anything more than Local Superchargers (there is one around 10 miles away from me) and L2 chargers. Anyone else in a similar boat to me?
We're in a similar boat. We aren't able to charge at home either and have been living that way with an EV for over half a year. 99% of charging is done at work or at the supercharger a few miles from us. It's not as convenient of course as having a charger at home, but never been an issue for us, just takes a bit more planning.

bluesolarflare

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Similar situation. I have a single car personal garage at my apartment complex and though there is an electrical plug, we are not allowed to plugin to charge. I made an inquiry to management and they said that there was a small electrical fire caused by someone charging their car at another property, and the outlets in the garage are not metered so they are unable to charge us for electric used. Supposedly they will be looking into the situation to allow cars to be charged in the next few months, but I am not holding my breath. Luckily enough, there is a Level 2 charging station at the grocery store less than half a mile away that I can charge at while I shop, along with an urban supercharging station less than 10 miles away. Additionally Tesla is slated to build a new supercharging station in the city by the end of the year so I will have 3 different charging options.

Soda Popinski

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Similar situation. I have a single car personal garage at my apartment complex and though there is an electrical plug, we are not allowed to plugin to charge. I made an inquiry to management and they said that there was a small electrical fire caused by someone charging their car at another property, and the outlets in the garage are not metered so they are unable to charge us for electric used. Supposedly they will be looking into the situation to allow cars to be charged in the next few months, but I am not holding my breath. Luckily enough, there is a Level 2 charging station at the grocery store less than half a mile away that I can charge at while I shop, along with an urban supercharging station less than 10 miles away. Additionally Tesla is slated to build a new supercharging station in the city by the end of the year so I will have 3 different charging options.
According to Green Car Reports, there's a California law, AB 2565, that states you are allowed to install a charger on your own dime, as long the apartment has 5 or more parking spaces.

But more importantly, to the OP, what's the story on that Millennium Falcon model?

mtdoak

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

bluesolarflare

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
According to Green Car Reports, there's a California law, AB 2565, that states you are allowed to install a charger on your own dime, as long the apartment has 5 or more parking spaces.

But more importantly, to the OP, what's the story on that Millennium Falcon model?
Only thing is for me it makes no sense as my lease will be up in Q1 of next year and I will be moving and management is aware of the law so they are currently (supposedly) looking into metered EV charging stations.

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Seems crazy to me if you can't charge at home or at work. You've giving up so many benefits of an EV.
The benefits of an EV aren't negated just because of charging convenience, it all depends on the infrastructure and how much you drive. Long distance driving over 70+ miles a day... yeah you are probably right and EV's aren't a good idea unless you can charge at home (at least with the current level of publicly available chargers). But I only drive about 30 miles/day and with the huge battery we can get by topping up whenever we watch a movie, do errands, or go for a run/hike.

In fact my husband just topped up at a Supercharger today from 120 miles to 270 in about 30 minutes while walking the dog. It is not AS convenient as at-home charging, but if you have a couple hours a week and readily available charging infrastructure, you can work around it and it's not a waste of time. Dare I say it could even be more convenient as you are already out and about anyway.

The problem is we need more and faster chargers everywhere.

Last edited:

mtdoak

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So, I'm about 1 week in. My "lol home charging" experience so far:

Day 1. Pick up the Midnight Falcon (my model 3) from Philly. Drive it around the Service Center a bit to make sure no issues before leaving, ~110 miles back home, wife and I go to dinner to celebrate near the supercharger. Supercharger is about a 10 mile drive, so between the hills and my lead foot, i think we get there with 120 miles of range left. In the time it takes to eat dinner, we are at 270 miles again (I realized a few days later we weren't at 90% threshold for charging)

Days 2-4. Wife drives the car to work, I'm taking random trips out to drive it more. I'm dropping the hammer wherever its safe. I snuck over to a local hotel while waiting for my wife to get out of work that has a destination charger. Got 11 miles worth of charge in 20 minutes. Lame. But, free is free. Saturday rolls around and we're down to less than 50 miles of range. I go to the supercharger Saturday AM, roll in at 30 miles. It tells me to charge when I stop. I plug it in and head to the Panera bread with my iPad for some breakfast. 43 minutes, $9 later, I'm back at full charge. 240 miles for $9. What a bargain. Wife and I drive the car a bit more Saturday, she wants to go to a store in the same plaza. I top off 70 miles we've used for $3.84 (PA is charge by the minute/rate, not straight kWH). She spends several hundred dollars at the store. Much less of a bargain.

Day 5. Run some errands. Wife is going out to dinner with a friend who is in town. They go to restaurant near the charger, i ask her to plug in it to top it off. I check on status of charge while they are gone, its stopped. Try to start it via the app, not charging. Text wife to go out to the charger and re-seat the cable. "It's cold and rainy" is her response. 0 miles added.

It's definitely a bit of a pain but doable. It's been cold again here the past few days, so I'm burning through range with the Snowflake popping up for short drives. I'll likely have to head up to the charger for a bit again before Saturday. We are moving in June and the new landlord has said I can put in a NEMA 14-50 plug if i pay for it. The breaker is right in the garage so hopefully it won't be too $$ since we'll only be there for 1 year. I'm very glad this is a short term situation as I see clearly the benefits of home charging. Though, if they want to charge me way too much for installation, we'll be about 3 miles from the nearest supercharger and can use 110V as needed.

Also of note, Hilly areas burn range a lot quicker. I'm using well over 350 Wh/mile on short trips around town. Much more than most people on the forum.

mtdoak

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So, a bit more of an update.

I've had my Model 3 just under a month now. I've driven 2800 miles or so (most of it on a trip from Northeast PA to Hilton Head and back).

Trip Thoughts: Supercharging is great...but a bit of a PITA. As is, the supercharger network is adequate but restrictive. Where you stop and eat on road trips is limited by supercharger locations. Especially in poor weather where you don't want to walk far. You can either wait in your car or eat at whatever place is right there. This should get better as car charging becomes bigger.

And if you are driving far enough to need to stay at a hotel....destination charging is a 100% must have. Being able to pull into a hotel at 1 AM, plug in, have a full charge at 9 AM when its time to leave is nice.

Living without a home charger: Still works. But...far from ideal. Having used destination charger at a hotel....so much better just to plug in when you park. I have ate meals 5 times "near" the supercharger since buying the car. I've seen a movie and charged twice (movie theater is about 1/4 mile walk across a 4 lane section of road with no crosswalk). My car typically tops off 40 minutes into the movie and technically i'm risking idle fees, but evidently they don't kick in unless the charger is full.

Overall, IF you live near (I'd say 10 minutes max) of a supercharger, you can live without a dedicated way to charge at home.

But....be prepared to visit that supercharger often. I'm a bit lucky because there are several restaurants and stores there. If your supercharger is a bit isolated.....probably wouldn't be fun.

djejnyc

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hmmm, I hope it is workable. Our garage is in the building next doors we will be relying on Superchargers and Public chargers. We only drive about 100 miles a week, and there an urban supercharger scheduled to be built very nearby. We'll see if it all works out, plenty of time with our "Late 2018" delivery window.

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So, a bit more of an update.

I've had my Model 3 just under a month now. I've driven 2800 miles or so (most of it on a trip from Northeast PA to Hilton Head and back).

Trip Thoughts: Supercharging is great...but a bit of a PITA. As is, the supercharger network is adequate but restrictive. Where you stop and eat on road trips is limited by supercharger locations. Especially in poor weather where you don't want to walk far. You can either wait in your car or eat at whatever place is right there. This should get better as car charging becomes bigger.

And if you are driving far enough to need to stay at a hotel....destination charging is a 100% must have. Being able to pull into a hotel at 1 AM, plug in, have a full charge at 9 AM when its time to leave is nice.

Living without a home charger: Still works. But...far from ideal. Having used destination charger at a hotel....so much better just to plug in when you park. I have ate meals 5 times "near" the supercharger since buying the car. I've seen a movie and charged twice (movie theater is about 1/4 mile walk across a 4 lane section of road with no crosswalk). My car typically tops off 40 minutes into the movie and technically i'm risking idle fees, but evidently they don't kick in unless the charger is full.

Overall, IF you live near (I'd say 10 minutes max) of a supercharger, you can live without a dedicated way to charge at home.

But....be prepared to visit that supercharger often. I'm a bit lucky because there are several restaurants and stores there. If your supercharger is a bit isolated.....probably wouldn't be fun.
The more important question is, have you seen SOLO and did you like it? We saw it last night with some friends and we liked it overall. The ending with the cameo was interesting. ;)

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Thank you OP for sharing, I had fun reading this thread, and I can see myself enjoying the adventure of getting a charge.

I will probably not have access to my own charger, at least for a while. I live in an apartment building, will ask around once I get the 3, will use the local "urban" supercharger due to open this year somewhere close by. I was about to say that will only need one charge per week, but driving for pleasure might become a thing.

All cities around this area have already passed legislation to add chargers to all future buildings (in Burnaby, Richmond, every car stall will have to have a charger if I got the news correctly). I hope they will consider regulating existing buildings somehow, for the sake of having a standard :)

What I'm trying to say is, even if it looks complicated initially, the situation will improve.

mservice

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

You need to read the law. While apartment landloards and townhomes, condos still can denie, or restrict charging they can’t just do it arbitrarily for capriciously. They have to have a good reason. I guess a fire could be one, but that’s the first time I heard that one.