The Frisco Stormtrooper

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Congrats @bkap !! Love the name since I am a Star Wars fan also! :)
Edit: I recently installed the BASENOR door seals and they seems to have help reduce the noise level a bit. Easy installation except for front areas of front doors.
Hmm ok, I have until the end of January to return so maybe I’ll reconsider

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The finished product! Flexshield did a great job. I went with 30% on the front side windows and 20% on back and rear window. They did the rear in all one piece. Unfortunately it will be cloudy for the next few days so it will take a little longer to cure, but I wasn’t planning on lowering the windows in 30-50° weather anyway.
View attachment 31285
Nice! I hope you told them I sent you :D

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Comment was about the trunk lights.

Hey these old eyes don't see as well as they once did. I need some light in that trunk, and truly only referencing the trunk lights. I agree nothing in the foot wells, etc should be any brighter.
Sorry @garsh and @GDN but I have to disagree here. I put new footwell lights in from AbstractOcean (trunk too) and they are totally worth it. Drop something on the floor in the dark and it is impossible to see it with the stock lights

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
View attachment 31300
Well, this upgrade took entirely too long to do, but I wanted to make sure it was right. The first piece to put on was the middle square. It was definitely the most difficult. Aligning the top edge ended up being the most important step, which I finally got right after pulling the piece back up half a dozen times. Luckily it seemed to be pretty forgiving.

The upper piece was the easiest, maybe the angle of the piece or the natural curve made it so there were virtually no issues getting it on.

Last was the cup holder section, I spent some time making sure I lined up the circles pretty evenly before committing. This piece didn’t have a gap on each side to tuck the excess into, probably because it doesn’t move. There was only some excess on the driver side so I just took an exacto-knife and carefully lined the edge and pulled the extra off.

Overall I’m really happy with the result. It looks like it came this way when I get in the car now. Fingerprints are still showing up a little, but they don’t show anywhere near as much as the glossy finish would. Just a quick wipe with my sleeve and they are gone anyway.

I can hear the Jeda Hub calling my name. I’m going to have to get some Velcro cable ties to lock the loose cables down for now. I could hear some rattling in the console as I was chauffeuring the wife around this morning. With no engine noise to cover them I will have to address it.

As for the trunk lights, those are the only ones I will upgrade besides the puddle lights. They aren’t so bright as to ruin my night vision, especially when every car on the road has the full force of the sun on their headlights these days. I do agree eyes need to adjust for night driving, but I’m not necessarily going to be staring in my trunk before hitting the road, and I had already needed to flip on my phones flashlight a couple times before doing the upgrade while looking for the license plate holder/screws. My phone is certainly still brighter than these guys, so I guess it’s better than that!
Nice console wrap job! I cant commit yet to that even though I did the dash. I am so happy I did the dash! Still like the piano black console but the smudges do get bad.

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I assume you disagree with just me. ;)
With the trunk/night vision thing, you are gonna get back in the car and the overhead lights are gonna come on, so you might as well see what in the trunk when you are in there.
I agree nothing in the foot wells, etc should be any brighter.
Also referencing this statment about the Footwell lights. But really, in the end, to each their own. Disco balls if you really want ;)

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Nice console wrap job! I cant commit yet to that even though I did the dash. I am so happy I did the dash! Still like the piano black console but the smudges do get bad.
Thank you, it was tough to cover up that good looking piano finish, but I’m glad I did it before I added any scratches to it. Haven’t attempted the dash yet, but I plan on it soon. The wife likes the wood grain look so I’ll leave it for a little longer, then I’ll tell her she can look at the wood dash when she gets a Y 😂

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
With the trunk/night vision thing, you are gonna get back in the car and the overhead lights are gonna come on, so you might as well see what in the trunk when you are in there.
Also referencing this statment about the Footwell lights. But really, in the end, to each their own. Disco balls if you really want ;)
So something I've not noticed or questioned do the Footwell lights dim as you put it in drive and the overhead lights go out? I do know the floor is very dim, but I just rarely feel I ever need more light in the floor.

Now - be careful what you ask for with the disco ball because some of us have one in the trunk just waiting on the right time to whip it out and light it up.

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So something I've not noticed or questioned do the Footwell lights dim as you put it in drive and the overhead lights go out? I do know the floor is very dim, but I just rarely feel I ever need more light in the floor.

Now - be careful what you ask for with the disco ball because some of us have one in the trunk just waiting on the right time to whip it out and light it up.
The footwell lights go out when you put it in drive.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’ve been working on figuring out how to log into my YouTube account in the theater app. I finally got it to work this morning, so I thought I’d share my workaround in case anyone else runs into this issue. Every time I tried to sign in to the YouTube app I would get a browser not secure message and it wouldn’t let me get any furtheAfter a bit of googling I found a solution that ended up working for me.

Error message:

What didn’t work: don’t bother trying to adjust 2-factor authentication, allowing less secure apps, getting an app password, etc. they have no affect on the error message.

What works: in the YouTube app, search for google.com and click on googles video. Then find the link to www.google.com/search in the description of that video. Then search for plex.tv, you don’t need a plex account for this to work. I saw other people had success with medium.com as well. Basically any site that uses google auth to sign in. Once you’re on plex tv’s site, click the menu bar and sign in, then log in with google account button. I was able to log in to that, cancel out of the YouTube app, and when I reopened the app my account was signed in!

Hope this helps!
P.S. software on Stormtrooper is 2019.40.2.1

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Bonus: Even though I had the premium connectivity trial, sat maps and traffic weren’t showing up. I did go into my account last night and sign up for the subscription anyways, but it doesn’t kick in til the trial expires so that’s nice. I was just getting ready to have drive in theater to watch The Witcher in my garage, and noticed the icons appeared on my map! Not sure if actually subscribing made a difference here but I am happy to have the change. On top of that, looks like Stormtrooper is also downloading 2019.40.50.1!

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Jump right on in with that new software. Some of us have been driving this car for 18 months to 2 years and we still couldn't be more excited this morning to wake up to more new SW and features on our cars !!

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Balancing the eagerness to drive with the foresight of parking lot size has been a challenge lately. Luckily the wife and I compete on closing those watch rings so she hasn't minded parking so far away. I did find a twin at end of the grocery store parking lot and made a point to park by them (with a good distance between the cars of course!). I figure if there is one car that will be mindful of their doors, its another Tesla owner!

After errands, I was able to knock out two more upgrades on Stormtrooper.
For the first one, I learned from @LUXMAN and put some PPF down on the rear door sills as well as on top of the sill plates, before installing the sill plates. My first attempt was horrible, I was squeegeeing like crazy but the PPF didn't seem to stick and there were streaks everywhere under it. Eventually I added a bit more Dawn to my spray solution, and that did the trick.
View attachment 31302
Time will tell to see if I applied the PPF right, but since the plate sits on film as well, I don't think it will be too bad to just start from scratch if I need to in the future.

This was a good trial run with the PPF, and I wanted to knock this out before attempting the mud flap install. I definitely want to put some down before putting the flaps on so that I'm not constantly grinding dirt into my paint, but I think it will be a pretty big challenge on my patience to make the right cut on the film. I almost attempted it today but I ended up procrastinating on that front.

Next, I did the puddle light upgrade. I found @SoFlaModel3 's instructional video incredibly helpful, thanks for that! I followed his advice and I'm pretty satisfied with the finished product. He was right about the cords being very short, I could barely grasp the passenger side cable. Before I disconnected the original lights I took a long piece of floss and twisted it around the cable so if I accidentally let go of it, or it slid up into the door panel, I'd be able to fish it out. It looks a little blue in the picture but that is just my grey flooring... when I put my hand under it the light is much whiter.
View attachment 31303
Glad you found my video to be helpful!!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Bonus: Even though I had the premium connectivity trial, sat maps and traffic weren’t showing up. I did go into my account last night and sign up for the subscription anyways, but it doesn’t kick in til the trial expires so that’s nice. I was just getting ready to have drive in theater to watch The Witcher in my garage, and noticed the icons appeared on my map! Not sure if actually subscribing made a difference here but I am happy to have the change. On top of that, looks like Stormtrooper is also downloading 2019.40.50.1!
I decided to apply the update while sitting in the car. No matter how much you read about battery noises being normal, I don’t think there’s any way to truly prepare for the noises coming out of this battery during the ‘electronic control units’ phase of the update 😂. Just going to keep telling myself it’s normal and enjoy the new renders when it’s done