The Frisco Stormtrooper

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Hello! After an incredibly long wait, and persuasion of the wife, I was able to take delivery of my White/Black SR+ last night!

Delivery experience was excellent at the Plano service center. Only needed one signature and I was done!
The hardest part about owning this car is what to call it. I'm not too original, and have been bingeing the Mandalorian, so Stormtrooper it is!

I did have an update available as soon as I got connected to my wifi, so I'm currently running 2019.40.2.1

I had done some preparation for this day by having a Nema 14-50 outlet installed and the adapter ready to go. The wife also made me paint the garage last weekend, but I didn't hear any explicit rules on colors, so she came home to the Tesla logo on the wall!
I have to give a big thanks to @LUXMAN , @Quicksilver , and @GDN . Their threads have been great to follow and so helpful, so I've already got a TON of accessories to put in. I love it, amazon loves it, my bank account hates it.

First thing I did when I got home last night was set up the charger and this upright holder. I chose it because it seemed to stick out less than the regular holders, and had a cap for the cord when not in use. My garage is pretty small, so every little space saver helps.

Next, I put in the TapTes version of the Maxpider floormats. I like them because they're cheaper and no giant logo anywhere. I had also ordered these but I returned them when the taptes came in. PBC was great quality for the price, but the shell floor mat is just a lot better for getting dog hair out of the carpets. The phone camera seems to highlight the footprints on these, but to the naked eye they are much more difficult to see.

Overall, they fit incredibly well. The only wrinkle is on the passenger side left rim as it curves to go up. I'm not sure if I had them laying in the spare bedroom too long that they flattened, or if its just not an exact fit. Either way, its hardly noticeable.

I also put the frunk mat in of this set, not that I wont put the trunk mats in, I just haven't done it yet. The frunk mat fits great, has a decent weight to it as well.

Next, my two easiest installs - CupHolderHero:

and a cheap center console organizer

And my final install of last night, the TapTes 2nd Gen charger

After installing this and plugging in a micro USB for sentry, I can definitely see the benefit of one of those Jeda Hubs. Cords galore down there. But I had to draw the line somewhere on accessories, so that one will need to wait.

So whats left to install?
Currently sitting in the spare bedroom is:
door open labels
door soundproofing - these might be getting returned, when Stormtrooper was DRIVING ME on the highway today, I didn't really feel like it was too loud.
roof soundproofing - also unsure if ill go this route
'performance' pedals
rear door protection plates
EV Wraps center console wrap
door latch covers - as you can see its getting a little excessive on the accessories
mud flaps - these are the no-drill kind. However, I have some Xpel I want to put on the door sills as practice before I try this.
Xpel ppf - going to attempt this today
trunk lights - not sure if these are worth the effort
Door Lights - I will definitely try doing these though
air vent cover - this one i feel is truly a necessity, but I am scared to pull that cover off and never get it back on the same way again

Anyway, thanks for reading, I'm happy to be a part of such a helpful community. Wish me luck with the PPF and I will post back with the results soon!

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Congrats on taking delivery. It is refreshing to see the excitement from someone getting this car and enjoying it this much.

How many other people can even think about this, much less say it: "when Stormtrooper was DRIVING ME on the highway today". That is such an incredible thing.

Glad you are in the car and able to join the club. +1 for the Rachio sprinkler controller too.

Mind sharing what you used for a Tesla logo template? My garage will still get more of a makeover one of these days.

FRC

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
air vent cover - this one i feel is truly a necessity, but I am scared to pull that cover off and never get it back on the same way again
Of all your planned mods, this one is likely the simplest, do it first so you can stop worrying about it. I would strongly suggest a screen protector be added to your list. Welcome to the family!

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Congrats on taking delivery. It is refreshing to see the excitement from someone getting this car and enjoying it this much.

How many other people can even think about this, much less say it: "when Stormtrooper was DRIVING ME on the highway today". That is such an incredible thing.

Glad you are in the car and able to join the club. +1 for the Rachio sprinkler controller too.

Mind sharing what you used for a Tesla logo template? My garage will still get more of a makeover one of these days.

Thank you! I'm sure there is a much easier way to get this done, but here's how I did it:
I found an Illustrator logo online that people seemed to like and I removed a bunch of layers to get only the outline. Then my illustrator kept freezing, so I saved it as a pdf, and printed it with 'tiled' print settings at a much bigger scale, I cant remember what % scale i used, but it ended up being 4 pages wide. Then I carefully cut out the logo from the paper, but I didn't cut it out completely, just enough to get the general outline and any curvy spots, leaving spaces and strips so the frame of each cutout would still hold together so I could tape it up on the wall. That may not be the best explanation. Once i had the cutout taped to the wall, I went over it with a light pencil to get the logo on there, ripped the paper down, taped it off, then used this paint from home depot for the 'neon red' Tesla uses.
I got a quart, but I barely made a dent in it. I could have gotten by with the sample size I bet.

I'm not able to directly upload an .ai file here, but I can add it to Firefox Send for 7 days availability here: https://send.firefox.com/download/d888e9928df6f43d/#_ZP2ME3ibJEMofDJwwYUTw

I also attached my resulting pdf file below if you're hesitant to download that file or don't have a program that can read Illustrator files.

Attachments

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Of all your planned mods, this one is likely the simplest, do it first so you can stop worrying about it. I would strongly suggest a screen protector be added to your list. Welcome to the family!
You were right, it was extremely simple. Just knocked out the vent cover and door latch covers, thanks!

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
The finished product! Flexshield did a great job. I went with 30% on the front side windows and 20% on back and rear window. They did the rear in all one piece. Unfortunately it will be cloudy for the next few days so it will take a little longer to cure, but I wasn’t planning on lowering the windows in 30-50° weather anyway.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Thanks to @Gunn 's encouragement, I tried to tackle the trunk lights.

Before:

It came with a mini flat head screwdriver which is always nice. I didn't need it for this but I did use it for the pedals... see below!

Finished:

The top window noise reduction kit came with a spudger, so I used that to try and get the lights out. They were reaaaally difficult to get out. Overall I'd say this was about a 3/5 on toughness, but it might be because I am not normally someone that mods things. I also noticed a difference between Stormtrooper and a lot of the videos I watched explaining how to do this.

Maybe it is something new in the 2020's, I haven't gone through the differences threads that are out there yet. This made it so I didn't want to pull the fabric out to get behind, because it looked really complicated to get it back behind that plastic. First I popped the light out with the spudger, and that took a while as i was nervous I'd break something if I was too forceful. Once I had it out it was easy to tell these were going to be much brighter.

I got the charger side done without any issue, it was just hard to get that black plating back around the light only using the vent slits for access. For the other side, I was not so fortunate...

I broke this piece trying to force it back on :(. Luckily the light actually fits pretty snug in the spot, so maybe it wont be a big deal. Worst case scenario, I can add a dab of glue on the rim and it will for sure stay in place. Coincidentally, I had noticed my passenger side front door handle was squeaking last night when it would retract, so I used the app to make a mobile service appointment for late next week.. So cool! As I was breaking Stormtrooper, Tesla HQ must have known, and messaged me saying they could get to me on Sunday. I texted back letting them know the handle isn't squeaking anymore, but asked if they would be able to give me another piece, so we shall see if its possible.

Either way, Gunn was right and the lights are definitely a big difference even in the daylight!

I was also able to add my 'performance' pedals. Removing the existing brake pedal was incredibly easy, and getting the new brake pedal on was pretty simple as well. I used the mini screwdriver referenced above to help pull the lip around the edges, and it was done pretty quickly. The accelerator took a bit more time as I couldn't seem to get a good angle. I finally got it on there nice and snug, but my fingers are shot.

I also decided to return both sound-proofing kits. Driving out to Denton I really didn't feel like the noise level was worth $50 to lower. The next project I start will probably be EV Wrap's center console wrap I have in Matte Black. I am noticing so much dust and finger prints on the console already!

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
The light replacement hasn't changed much I don't think. Sounds just like I did it. That back piece you broke gets broken in many replacements, mind did too. The new lights are well worth it, it's a shame Tesla doesn't do better from the factory.

However that gives Abstract Ocean (and others) a great market for their products. I also have their lights and they've been very good. For 2 big plusses, AO is local here in DFW and they are a site sponsor, so Google them and check them out for a screen protector and other items they sell.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
The light replacement hasn't changed much I don't think. Sounds just like I did it. That back piece you broke gets broken in many replacements, mind did too. The new lights are well worth it, it's a shame Tesla doesn't do better from the factory.

However that gives Abstract Ocean (and others) a great market for their products. I also have their lights and they've been very good. For 2 big plusses, AO is local here in DFW and they are a site sponsor, so Google them and check them out for a screen protector and other items they sell.
Love supporting a local business, I will get one of their screen protectors. I did get their PWS plugs, but I haven’t decided to put it on because I actually like the reverse sound and I can’t hear the forward sound.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
it's a shame Tesla doesn't do better from the factory.
If by "better" you mean "brighter", then there's a very good reason. Those lights generally shouldn't be bright enough to ruin your night vision.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
If by "better" you mean "brighter", then there's a very good reason. Those lights generally shouldn't be bright enough to ruin your night vision.
Comment was about the trunk lights.
Hey these old eyes don't see as well as they once did. I need some light in that trunk, and truly only referencing the trunk lights. I agree nothing in the foot wells, etc should be any brighter.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Comment was about the trunk lights.
I still think it applies to trunk lights.

It's certainly an understandable upgrade if your eyes can't adjust to the dark very well and you require more light. But for the majority of drivers, it's best that Tesla doesn't make them too bright.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

Well, this upgrade took entirely too long to do, but I wanted to make sure it was right. The first piece to put on was the middle square. It was definitely the most difficult. Aligning the top edge ended up being the most important step, which I finally got right after pulling the piece back up half a dozen times. Luckily it seemed to be pretty forgiving.

The upper piece was the easiest, maybe the angle of the piece or the natural curve made it so there were virtually no issues getting it on.

Last was the cup holder section, I spent some time making sure I lined up the circles pretty evenly before committing. This piece didn’t have a gap on each side to tuck the excess into, probably because it doesn’t move. There was only some excess on the driver side so I just took an exacto-knife and carefully lined the edge and pulled the extra off.

Overall I’m really happy with the result. It looks like it came this way when I get in the car now. Fingerprints are still showing up a little, but they don’t show anywhere near as much as the glossy finish would. Just a quick wipe with my sleeve and they are gone anyway.

I can hear the Jeda Hub calling my name. I’m going to have to get some Velcro cable ties to lock the loose cables down for now. I could hear some rattling in the console as I was chauffeuring the wife around this morning. With no engine noise to cover them I will have to address it.

As for the trunk lights, those are the only ones I will upgrade besides the puddle lights. They aren’t so bright as to ruin my night vision, especially when every car on the road has the full force of the sun on their headlights these days. I do agree eyes need to adjust for night driving, but I’m not necessarily going to be staring in my trunk before hitting the road, and I had already needed to flip on my phones flashlight a couple times before doing the upgrade while looking for the license plate holder/screws. My phone is certainly still brighter than these guys, so I guess it’s better than that!

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I have nothing negative to say about the Jeda at all, I don't have one nor do I need one. There is a new product though I really like and just saw it this week. It's called the Roadie. Search this forum and Google for some early feedback. Plug it in and forget it, it has storage built in and allows you to view your videos even on your phone in the car without plugging in it looks like. Pretty much the best of all worlds from what I see. I need to do more research, but I could see that replacing my SSD drives which do their job perfectly, you just have to take them in the house to watch any video.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I have nothing negative to say about the Jeda at all, I don't have one nor do I need one. There is a new product though I really like and just saw it this week. It's called the Roadie. Search this forum and Google for some early feedback. Plug it in and forget it, it has storage built in and allows you to view your videos even on your phone in the car without plugging in it looks like. Pretty much the best of all worlds from what I see. I need to do more research, but I could see that replacing my SSD drives which do their job perfectly, you just have to take them in the house to watch any video.
Nice, I'm going to look into them further. I just signed up to be notified when they get more in stock.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Balancing the eagerness to drive with the foresight of parking lot size has been a challenge lately. Luckily the wife and I compete on closing those watch rings so she hasn't minded parking so far away. I did find a twin at end of the grocery store parking lot and made a point to park by them (with a good distance between the cars of course!). I figure if there is one car that will be mindful of their doors, its another Tesla owner!

After errands, I was able to knock out two more upgrades on Stormtrooper.
For the first one, I learned from @LUXMAN and put some PPF down on the rear door sills as well as on top of the sill plates, before installing the sill plates. My first attempt was horrible, I was squeegeeing like crazy but the PPF didn't seem to stick and there were streaks everywhere under it. Eventually I added a bit more Dawn to my spray solution, and that did the trick.

Time will tell to see if I applied the PPF right, but since the plate sits on film as well, I don't think it will be too bad to just start from scratch if I need to in the future.

This was a good trial run with the PPF, and I wanted to knock this out before attempting the mud flap install. I definitely want to put some down before putting the flaps on so that I'm not constantly grinding dirt into my paint, but I think it will be a pretty big challenge on my patience to make the right cut on the film. I almost attempted it today but I ended up procrastinating on that front.

Next, I did the puddle light upgrade. I found @SoFlaModel3 's instructional video incredibly helpful, thanks for that! I followed his advice and I'm pretty satisfied with the finished product. He was right about the cords being very short, I could barely grasp the passenger side cable. Before I disconnected the original lights I took a long piece of floss and twisted it around the cable so if I accidentally let go of it, or it slid up into the door panel, I'd be able to fish it out. It looks a little blue in the picture but that is just my grey flooring... when I put my hand under it the light is much whiter.

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Congrats @bkap !! Love the name since I am a Star Wars fan also! :)
Edit: I recently installed the BASENOR door seals and they seems to have help reduce the noise level a bit. Easy installation except for front areas of front doors.

Last edited: