The End of Software Updates As We Know Them

• Our merch store is back! Check out our line of quality apparel and accessories featuring the TOO logo. Let us know if you'd like something specific you don't see 👍https://teespring.com/stores/tesla-owners-online-store
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Very interesting. I like the SW on demand, however Tesla just needs to be prepared for all couple hundred thousand of us sitting in our car or on our app, wherever the button is and pressing it repeatedly until it starts to download.

There is a lot in that release and I don't see beta on it anywhere. Timing and rollout will be nice. No one on Teslafi reporting it yet.

littlD

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Very interesting. I like the SW on demand, however Tesla just needs to be prepared for all couple hundred thousand of us sitting in our car or on our app, wherever the button is and pressing it repeatedly until it starts to download.

There is a lot in that release and I don't see beta on it anywhere. Timing and rollout will be nice. No one on Teslafi reporting it yet.
Looks like a Europe first release per several sources.

And... is this the new version of [F5]? I remember pressing that A LOT when I was a 1st day Model 3 reservist!

Tesla Newbie

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
As much as we would like this, it’s hard to understand why Tesla would make this change now. They’ve been cautious with release availability for good reason. The updates are buggy and the risks are great. Everyone on this board knows how many releases they’ve had in the last four weeks alone. Can you imagine the uproar if all of those releases were offered for download and all of the cars sold had the upgrade-related issues described on these pages? It would be a support and public relations nightmare.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My gut tells me they may start to use their beta groups better, or at least I will suggest they should. Keep a few groups of beta testers for the new stuff that needs testing. The beta testers should abide by the rules they agreed to at sign up and not let anything out of the bag and keep it to themselves. Then once SW updates are tested, corrected if needed, and ready to hit the streets those that want it first can press the button and get it downloaded/installed. Not everyone wants to be an early adopter so they can wait a couple days or a week. When it slows down then Tesla can force it out to the remaining cars.

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I would guess that if they do a stepped rollout, you still won’t see the download until your group is assigned to it. So they can still moderate the update bandwidth that way.

DocScott

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
As much as we would like this, it’s hard to understand why Tesla would make this change now. They’ve been cautious with release availability for good reason. The updates are buggy and the risks are great. Everyone on this board knows how many releases they’ve had in the last four weeks alone. Can you imagine the uproar if all of those releases were offered for download and all of the cars sold had the upgrade-related issues described on these pages? It would be a support and public relations nightmare.
I know I'm in the minority on this, but I don't think the multiple releases and cautious roll-outs have been primarily an issue of bugginess, and I think a lot of the bugs that are reported after upgrades are not specific to the new firmware.

I think the following things are also going on:

1. Sometimes the process of upgrading doesn't go right, and causes bugs. This definitely happens sometimes, because it's accompanied by a warning of a failed upgrade. But see, for example, this post by sduck, where he advises everyone to do a full set of reboots after each upgrade, suggesting that it would eliminate some apparent upgrade-related bugs. Many people don't do that set of reboots, or wouldn't think of trying it, and might think the new firmware was at fault rather than the process of upgrading. And are there also cases where the reboots don't fix a problem caused by a faulty upgrade (as opposed to faulty firmware)? Maybe.

2. I think sometimes Tesla releases multiple versions of firmware to compare tweaks. Neither version is a bug per se, but should, e.g., a blindspot warning be more or less sensitive? Trying it both ways in different versions lets them see how people react in the real world. It's not beta-testing, exactly, because both are finished releases. It's more like A/B testing, except with the options not rolled out simultaneously.

Yes, there are clearly instances of bugs being found during roll out, a roll out being halted, and then a new version with a bug fix being released. That seemed to happen with some of the dog-mode/sentry-mode interactions when those features were being released, for instance. But in those cases the bugs appeared to be present for everyone with the same firmware version, and weren't just random problems that popped up for some people rather than others.

If I'm right, then there will always be some people with their cars doing iffy things after these upgrades. But allowing everyone at once access to public releases (i.e. not alpha or beta) won't actually be exposing people to firmware that is buggier than what we're getting now.

Flashgj

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think @Ed Woodrick is right, they will roll out pretty much the same way they do now. The only difference is you will see that an update is available before it downloads. This will make it so much easier for those that have poor or no Wi-Fi where they generally park at night. Those in that situation can schedule it and then make sure they are connected to Wi-Fi at the time they have scheduled.

Mayhem

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
It is minority of owners who live on these boards. It is a minority of owners who feverishly want the most bleeding edge update. I would HOPE that this feature would be targeted to those types of owners. The majority of owners could get the normal rolled out GA releases, but those who want the more incremental updates could get them with a request feature... maybe even with a disclaimer that it's not extensively fleet validated or whatever. The only hope I have for this comes from these two Elon tweets:

Country
Country
This is one of the most underrated aspects of Tesla... the only car company with update-like capabilities of iOS or Android smartphones.

Can you picture any other automaker operating like an Apple or Google? And on top of that, it manufactures its own “devices”. And you won’t see smartphones driving themselves around traffic anytime soon. Crazy.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

I wonder if this does what we all hope and I’m thinking no. Basically the update still has to be staged for your car before you can grab it. All this will really tell you is that the update is staged and give you a monitor for its progress.

Tesla Newbie

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It would be cool if we could configure our tolerance for software change and risk, and Tesla would stage the releases based on our choices. Most of us here would self-classify as Mad Max, but customers like my sister who break into a cold sweat every time their iPhone advises them of a pending update, would choose a far more conservative setting.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The release notes show that you'll know when a release is available. You can then request it and watch it's progress as it downloads, then install immediately (or delay til later). This is a big step forward and what I was hoping for.