The Chevy Bolt OFFICIAL DISCUSSION

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It has to be more than 215, or everyone in the media will make fun of them for this stunt.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It will no doubt be at least 215 miles but, may be as much as 225 miles. I agree that they wouldn't make such a big fuss over less than 215. In any case, Model 3 will most likely beat those numbers with a smaller battery. Does anybody know if the Bolts battery pack will have thermal management? Without it the mileage of the bolt will suffer in hot and cold conditions far more than the Model 3.

Jayc

Country
Country
So there we have it officially, 238 miles EPA

http://www.chevrolet.com/bolt-ev-electric-vehicle.html

I was very close :)

I still stand by my comment that it will struggle to achieve this at 70+ mph

Availability I predict early part of next year as opposed to late 2016 as claimed but you've got to hand it to them for giving the model 3 a good push. Competition is good.

Last edited:

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Good for GM for pulling this off. The Bolt should sell well. However keep in mind it's intended target is the upper end of the affordability class of economy car. This is a Sonic with an expensive battery and total price with options shouldn't exceed $40K or so. The Model 3, despite having a similar base price, has the low-end luxury market (BMW 3 series, Audi A4, Merc C Class) clearly in it's sights. Model 3 options such as larger batteries, performance, dual motor drive, autopilot etc... will push ASP much much higher than the Bolt and in greater production numbers. These are very different cars.

I expect that Tesla will exceed the base quoted 215 miles with the Model 3 when they announce final numbers. More range on the Bolt is great but with a single battery offering and lower 50kWh charge rate its range for long-distance travel is hampered compared to what Tesla is offering.
I think Model 3 really represents a compelling EV than can replace and ICE vehicle and not just be a "secondary car" for most.

All the best to GM with the Bolt. Now let's get the rest of the automakers on board!

BigBri

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Good on them to get an EV out. I won't be getting one but it doesn't seem like a bad option at all. Main knock against it for me is the styling but for a hatchback it's pretty decent looking. At anyone considering one of these you'll want to keep in mind that the drag on these is huge. Any highway driving you won't get great range.

It'll be good for Tesla to get some competition. Knowing Elon he'll need to exceed that 238 number.

TrevP

Founder
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
It will no doubt be at least 215 miles but, may be as much as 225 miles. I agree that they wouldn't make such a big fuss over less than 215. In any case, Model 3 will most likely beat those numbers with a smaller battery. Does anybody know if the Bolts battery pack will have thermal management? Without it the mileage of the bolt will suffer in hot and cold conditions far more than the Model 3.
Yes, the Bolt has liquid cooled battery pack like the Model S. Even the Volt has a liquid cooled pack.

I have a feeling Tesla is being conservative with the 215 mile range of the Model 3. Elon said "200 miles you can count on".
EPA as we know is stricter than the European NDEC testing cycle, which is why you have to remember European car makers announcing cars with 300 miles of range is more like 200 EPA. We'll see how the Bolt fares with the stated range but real-world will surely be a bit lower than 238.

In any case, at least they have fast DC charge, albeit only 50kWh. If they can get a few of them in Ontario they should sell well given our new Ontario Charging infrastructure is CHAdeMO and CCS but what we don't know yet is how much of a hit we'll have to take with the exchange rate. Rebates should lessen the blow too.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am surprised at the mileage rating they released. I fully expected it to land just a tick past 215.
I think once this is out on the roads (and especially after the Model ☰ is too), people will realize the Bolt and Model ☰ are not in the same class.
Granted I drive a tiny car currently (produced by the same organization), but when I see a Spark or Sonic on the freeway next to normal sized cars I can't help but compare it to the old Geo Metros that were not much more than a tin box on wheels.

xxZULAxx

Country
Country
I mean, we really have to get away from having 1/3rd of a car there for nothing and increase cabin space. I am not sure if we need so much safety room since no combustion engine exists anymore.

Attachments

Topher

Energy Curmudgeon
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I must say it looks better in black on a beach, than in orange or multi-color.

The 238 is excellent news, for everyone.

Thank you kindly.

Rick59

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
I mean, we really have to get away from having 1/3rd of a car there for nothing and increase cabin space. I am not sure if we need so much safety room since no combustion engine exists anymore.
You need a fair amount of forward space to dissipate the energy from a full frontal. Otherwise, you're in a very expensive coffin.

TrevP

Founder
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Unlike Teslas the Bolt's motor and electronics are in the front of the car (no frunk) . GM designed the car to be made on the same production line as ICE cars so they can use a lot of the same tooling to build it.

It's also front wheel drive and has a much smaller crumple zone.