The Cell Phone holder/charging station

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
This is my first post (other than intro) so I hope it is in the right place and not a repeat of a discussion that has already occurred. I love the way Tesla has configured the cell phone holder/charger but have a question and a concern.

The question: My phone (i7) is in an otterbox case. Will it still plug in to the port with bigger cases like that one on the phone?

The concern: My wife has a bit of ADD and is regularly forgetting her phone. If it is in the holder with the lid down I can see her hopping out of the car without it regularly. That is especially concerning since it is the key. I suspect the car software could detect the phone being connected. I think a warning chime when the door is opened or an alert on the screen (phone still in charger) would be a good option that could be turned on by the owner. Thoughts on that idea? If its liked, is there a way to suggest it to Tesla? Thanks.

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
This is my first post (other than intro) so I hope it is in the right place and not a repeat of a discussion that has already occurred. I love the way Tesla has configured the cell phone holder/charger but have a question and a concern.

The question: My phone (i7) is in an otterbox case. Will it still plug in to the port with bigger cases like that one on the phone?

The concern: My wife has a bit of ADD and is regularly forgetting her phone. If it is in the holder with the lid down I can see her hopping out of the car without it regularly. That is especially concerning since it is the key. I suspect the car software could detect the phone being connected. I think a warning chime when the door is opened or an alert on the screen (phone still in charger) would be a good option that could be turned on by the owner. Thoughts on that idea? If its liked, is there a way to suggest it to Tesla? Thanks.
Hi @PA_Ray! Welcome to the forum! To answer your questions, sadly I doubt the Otterbox case will allow you to plug in the phone. My iPhone 6s case is also an Otterbox (Symmetry Series) and it's too thick to allow the charger to plug in. I just use a regular iPhone charger cable and don't snake it through the dock. My sunglasses are usually taking up the "phone dock" space anyway. :cool:

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi @PA_Ray! Welcome to the forum! To answer your questions, sadly I doubt the Otterbox case will allow you to plug in the phone. My iPhone 6s case is also an Otterbox (Symmetry Series) and it's too thick to allow the charger to plug in. I just use a regular iPhone charger cable and don't snake it through the dock. My sunglasses are usually taking up the "phone dock" space anyway. :cool:
This is very helpful, thanks for sharing that! Historically, I haven't placed a case on my iPhones, but with the iPhone X this time around I went for a case. I have the Apple Leather Case and I hope it's thin enough to allow the phone to dock. That's one of my favorite features that I can looking forward to (connecting the phone and closing the lid)!

Kizzy

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
[…]I think a warning chime when the door is opened or an alert on the screen (phone still in charger) would be a good option that could be turned on by the owner. Thoughts on that idea? If its liked, is there a way to suggest it to Tesla? Thanks.
Tweeting at Elon has had some success. Maybe submitting a bug report from the car?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Took delivery of my Model 3.

The new San Diego delivery center:

View attachment 6931 View attachment 6933 View attachment 6932

First impressions:

Positives:
* The interior is nice; the touchscreen is very easy to get used to.
* Faster than I expected, tons of torque.
* Seems fairly quiet, maybe even close to my 5-series (will double-check).
* Adaptive cruise control works fine.

Concerns:
* Of two minds about autosteer. When I drive by myself, I try to adjust lane position based on whether there are other cars nearby. Tesla autosteer insists on driving in the middle of the lane, even when passing semis, which is a bit disconcerting. And it won't allow me to override it (it disengages as soon if I exert enough pressure on the wheel). It's all mainly in my head but still.
* Has a phone dock with a Lightning plug and a USB type C plug. Which is okay if your phone is as new as your car, but I have a Samsung Galaxy S7, which needs a USB micro, and all other phones in my family are also USB micro. Probably need to find an adapter.
* Comes with a 14-50 adapter; asked for a 14-30 adapter, but the delivery center had none, have to order it online.
* When plugged into a 120/15 outlet, reports being charged at "1 mi/hr", which has to be wrong (maybe it needs time to come to its senses). (EDIT: just rechecked and it is now up to 4 mi/hr.)
Regarding no micro usb, I think you can pull off the cover and replace the USB cables with another of your choosing,. Not 100% sure though..

MGallo

J.A.R.V.I.S. is awesome!
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Took delivery of my Model 3.

The new San Diego delivery center:

View attachment 6931 View attachment 6933 View attachment 6932

First impressions:

Positives:
* The interior is nice; the touchscreen is very easy to get used to.
* Faster than I expected, tons of torque.
* Seems fairly quiet, maybe even close to my 5-series (will double-check).
* Adaptive cruise control works fine.

Concerns:
* Of two minds about autosteer. When I drive by myself, I try to adjust lane position based on whether there are other cars nearby. Tesla autosteer insists on driving in the middle of the lane, even when passing semis, which is a bit disconcerting. And it won't allow me to override it (it disengages as soon if I exert enough pressure on the wheel). It's all mainly in my head but still.
* Has a phone dock with a Lightning plug and a USB type C plug. Which is okay if your phone is as new as your car, but I have a Samsung Galaxy S7, which needs a USB micro, and all other phones in my family are also USB micro. Probably need to find an adapter.
* Comes with a 14-50 adapter; asked for a 14-30 adapter, but the delivery center had none, have to order it online.
* When plugged into a 120/15 outlet, reports being charged at "1 mi/hr", which has to be wrong (maybe it needs time to come to its senses). (EDIT: just rechecked and it is now up to 4 mi/hr.)
Did you say it came with a lightning plug? I bought the pair of them online because I didn't think it came with any.

nameless

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Did you say it came with a lightning plug? I bought the pair of them online because I didn't think it came with any.
Yes, one lightning plug.

Regarding no micro usb, I think you can pull off the cover and replace the USB cables with another of your choosing,. Not 100% sure though..
They do offer this https://shop.tesla.com/us/en/product/vehicle-accessories/model-3-phone-charging-cable.html Ordered it earlier today, not clear when it is going to come (supposed to be shipped via FedEx ground, and it's not been shipped yet as of this moment.)

Last edited:

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Sam Diego

Country
Country
Got my Model 3 on Saturday. Time for me to change my Avatar image. No time for that yet because...

The only "problem" I have with my Tesla is this: I. CANNOT. STOP. DRIVING. THIS. CAR. I don't wanna eat or sleep. Just wanna drive and play with my new car. My expectations were high, and they were greatly exceeded. It's a stunningly amazing car and so much more. Very thoughtful design -- hardware, software, features/functions, etc. THANK YOU TESLA AND ELON!

Incredibly fun to drive, comfortable, fantastic handling. Let's just say that there are a few drivers in San Diego who don't think so highly of their ICE performance cars anymore.

For everyone still waiting... Hang in there; it will be worth the wait! You will be so happy with this car.

Now, back to my Model 3!
Congrats! I'm picking up my car today in San Diego. Are you an iphone user? If so, interested in a cable swap? :D

Sam Diego

Country
Country
FYI, it doesn't look like the default holder position is very case friendly. I ended up going this route and not looking back, as it kept everything hidden still without the plate.

I was very upset because I'm very picky about aesthetics and details, but haven't thought about it much since making the adjustment. I DO however need to watch the holstering as it is no longer truly a blind-holster setup.

skygraff

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Last edited:

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
https://m.newegg.com/products/9SIA3...V04KzCh2A8QkrEAQYCCABEgJMW_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Perhaps this whole sub-thread is off topic and this should be posted in another one but has anybody looked at something like (linked - tried picture, sorry) to keep all options open? Be even nicer if the three were on a wheel you could just rotate for a different device.

Wonder if it'll fit. Might have to get one and try.
That looks cumbersome though. If you have a current enough phone that supports wireless charging that's going to ultimately be a much cleaner solution that a cable mess.

skygraff

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That looks cumbersome though. If you have a current enough phone that supports wireless charging that's going to ultimately be a much cleaner solution that a cable mess.
The pictures make it look like they are short leads but, after looking at some other pics (as well as reading the dimensions), I agree that it would be a cable mess; not to mention the elbows don't look long enough or flat enough. There's another one with a magnetic tip system to swap out for the three types.

I don't have a current phone but I'll be fine with the lightning cable that comes with my Model 3. My reason for wanting a 3-in-1 is for friends/family who may have any combination of those connections whether or not they have wireless. Figured $10 for a cable would be a quick fix while waiting for the Qi pad concept to take hold in my car let alone all my passengers' phones.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The pictures make it look like they are short leads but, after looking at some other pics (as well as reading the dimensions), I agree that it would be a cable mess; not to mention the elbows don't look long enough or flat enough. There's another one with a magnetic tip system to swap out for the three types.

I don't have a current phone but I'll be fine with the lightning cable that comes with my Model 3. My reason for wanting a 3-in-1 is for friends/family who may have any combination of those connections whether or not they have wireless. Figured $10 for a cable would be a quick fix while waiting for the Qi pad concept to take hold in my car let alone all my passengers' phones.
Hmm, that’s actually a very good idea come to think of it. You’re a good host!

@gravityrydr

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
For those with thick phone cases. This will also work as the phone specific connector is in the phone so any phone will connect. I'm working on a cleaner installation but this works.