The Adventures of Ruby Woo!

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So it has been 48 hours since I parked RUBY at the airport. She is reporting 77% and 241 miles of range. So she has lost 3% and 9 miles in 2 days. The weather is nice, but chilly at night. But I would doubt the battery heater is running. So I will see where she sits this afternoon and give final numbers.

Does anyone know when the battery heating kicks in when the car is sitting?

Dogwhistle

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So it has been 48 hours since I parked RUBY at the airport. She is reporting 77% and 241 miles of range. So she has lost 3% and 9 miles in 2 days. The weather is nice, but chilly at night. But I would doubt the battery heater is running. So I will see where she sits this afternoon and give final numbers.

Does anyone know when the battery heating kicks in when the car is sitting?
The battery heater will only turn on if you purposely engage pre-conditioning. And if it was on, you would be sucking down WAY more than 1% a day! A cold battery is only an inconvenience, it won’t damage the battery like a hot battery will, so it won’t automatically try to keep it warm, unless you tell it too. And even then, if its not plugged in, the energy lost in heating will offset any gains in efficiency, so don’t bother, just let it warm up on its own on the drive home.

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Oh, and the new Owner’s Manual now says to expect 1% a day for normal vampire losses, so sounds like you’re pretty much ops-normal.
So its a little more on this little test. Here is what I ended up with.

After I got back to the car after 57.5 hours, 76% and 239 miles.

So lost 11 miles and 4% over those 57.5 hours.
That works out to 1.67% per day.

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So to summarize the little test...

Day 1
Starting Range 285 miles, 91%
Drive to work 30.5 Miles but used 35 of range displayed
Used 8 Kwh
268 Wh/mi
Ending Range 250 miles, 80% @ 5am

Range Shown via App @ 1pm - 79%, 246 miles

Day 2
Range Shown via App @ 5 am - 78%, 244 miles

Day 3
Range Shown via App @ 5am - 77%, 241 miles

Range shown in Car at 2:30pm - 76%, 239 miles
So lost 11 miles and 4% over 57.5 hours. That works out to 1.67% per day
Drive Home 32.1 miles but used 36 miles of range displayed
Used 9 KWh
260 Wh/mi
Ending Range 203 miles 65%

Overall
62.6 miles driven
22%, 71 miles of displayed range used to drive those 62.6 miles (But they were FUN miles too! ;))
Plus 4%, 11 Miles in Vampire drain

IMG_9890.JPG

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What brand of tint did you go with? Can you post some closeups of the full back window? Oh, and are you going to do a Clear Bra?
Got home yesterday and got you those pics.
The lower part of the back window on the inside shot doesn't look as dark as it is on the inside, but you can see out just fine.
Now that inside photo also shows a bigger difference than I perceive between the "sunroof" and back glass. I like the way it turned out!
IMG_9887.JPG IMG_9888.JPG IMG_9889.JPG

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So to summarize the little test...

Day 1
Starting Range 285 miles, 91%
Drive to work 30.5 Miles but used 35 of range displayed
Used 8 Kwh
268 Wh/mi
Ending Range 250 miles, 80% @ 5am

Range Shown via App @ 1pm - 79%, 246 miles

Day 2
Range Shown via App @ 5 am - 78%, 244 miles

Day 3
Range Shown via App @ 5am - 77%, 241 miles

Range shown in Car at 2:30pm - 76%, 239 miles
So lost 11 miles and 4% over 57.5 hours. That works out to 1.67% per day
Drive Home 32.1 miles but used 36 miles of range displayed
Used 9 KWh
260 Wh/mi
Ending Range 203 miles 65%

Overall
62.6 miles driven
22%, 71 miles of displayed range used to drive those 62.6 miles (But they were FUN miles too! ;))
Plus 4%, 11 Miles in Vampire drain

View attachment 6554
Got home yesterday and got you those pics.
The lower part of the back window on the inside shot doesn't look as dark as it is on the inside, but you can see out just fine.
Now that inside photo also shows a bigger difference than I perceive between the "sunroof" and back glass. I like the way it turned out!
View attachment 6556 View attachment 6557 View attachment 6558
Thanks for all the mileage info and the pics of the rear window tint. I was planning on "running the numbers" like you have done, if and when I ever get a car....lol, but seeing the way you have broken it down really helps. It's great to see real world range vs actual mileage driven and vampire losses all in one place. Also love the pic showing the rear glass and overhead sunroof together, that is just what I was wondering, how it would look together. I wasn't sure about tinting the entire rear glass but that looks great and makes a tough decision much easier! What % tint is that on the rear?

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So its a little more on this little test. Here is what I ended up with.

After I got back to the car after 57.5 hours, 76% and 239 miles.

So lost 11 miles and 4% over those 57.5 hours.
That works out to 1.67% per day.
would be interesting to see, under similar temps, if it has the same % if not being pinged by the app those 4 or 5 times (IE how much loss does each wakeup cost?)

MGallo

J.A.R.V.I.S. is awesome!
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Agreed. Thank you for the details. I work at home so vampire drain is important, although I can keep it plugged in too. I didn’t drive my call at all last week (mostly because rained all week just after I washed my car). Thanks for the tint pictures too.

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for all the mileage info and the pics of the rear window tint. I was planning on "running the numbers" like you have done, if and when I ever get a car....lol, but seeing the way you have broken it down really helps. It's great to see real world range vs actual mileage driven and vampire losses all in one place. Also love the pic showing the rear glass and overhead sunroof together, that is just what I was wondering, how it would look together. I wasn't sure about tinting the entire rear glass but that looks great and makes a tough decision much easier! What % tint is that on the rear?
Well, I just drove 50+ miles doing errands. It is 82° out. You can feel the difference on the glass but didn’t make the car hot per se. But I was getting glare right in my eye. So with summer coming, I am going back to the tint shop and they are gonna do the sunroof in the same tint next Tuesday. $120 for that panel.
But all the tint is 32%. That makes the sides and bottom portion of the back 25% when added to the factory tint. That is the limit for the front windows in Texas so I put it all the way around

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
another Data point for this. Ruby, wife and I did a bunch of errands today.
Wal Mart (wash stuff for the 3 :))
Lowe's
Auto Parts Store
Sams
Apple Store
Fabric Store
Another Discount Store
Friends House then home. The following pic shows the result.
It was a combo of city and HIGH SPEED tollway (80ish :D) with the A/C going plus some precooling before leaving stores. Note bad in terms of Wh/mi
IMG_9898.JPG

MGallo

J.A.R.V.I.S. is awesome!
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So since you are kind of constantly charging are resetting the trip meter all the time to gauge each exscursion? Seem like the only time someone wouldn’t do that is for a road trip.

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So since you are kind of constantly charging are resetting the trip meter all the time to gauge each exscursion? Seem like the only time someone wouldn’t do that is for a road trip.
Ha. Actually, I am only up to 200 miles so I am just testing things out. As a prior leaf driver (still have it and use it actually) I had to use the trip meter daily as I had a 60 Mile RT commute and when cold I had to be careful. I also have an app that reads the CanBus, as I have actually had the car down to <1% before squeezing out all I could on longer trips.
But I am getting a feel for the range. Since I am not driving it like a hyper-miler, I won’t be getting rated range, or so I thought. At 250 Wh/mi, that translates to a 300 mile range for 75kw battery. So at 80%, Ruby shows 250 miles. So I will soon relax the watching and just look at the range shown.