The Adventures of Ruby Woo!

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Car looks great! What % tint did you go with? If you did the entire rear glass do you think the rear is too dark on top from inside or can you still see out okay?
So I backed out of my garage this morning in the dark with the new tint. I could see just fine. But the house does have lights out front. So I gotta find some real dark areas to really see.

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What brand of tint did you go with? Can you post some closeups of the full back window? Oh, and are you going to do a Clear Bra?
I did the Windco Tint by Madico.
Here a link to their site but not allot of info.
http://www.madico.com/window-film/automotive/

I am on a work trip but I can post some close up inside and outside back window pics when I get home Friday.

Ya know. I was gonna do a full frontal wrap. I was quoted $1459.
But after considering the local roads and if I have to rewrap certain areas from damage or whatever, I have decided not to do one....for now.

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So today, the 2nd day of ownership, I had to go back to work after spring break and picking up Ruby Woo. Oh the horror! :screamcat:
So I left today on a 3 day work Trip and had to park...at the airport!!
638d0373-b21f-4c50-94eb-ca605c6fde32-jpeg.6471

The left side is protected with a large pole. So hopefully there is enough room on the right. But this is TX, so some guy with a duality F-350 will probably squeeze in next to me on the right!

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So I have some thoughts after my drive in......

1. Cruise control — I do not have autopilot. I have just the basic cruise and it works just fine. People complain about using the screen to increase speed. I do see that as an opportunity for Tesla to improve it by mapping the speed to the Right Scroll Wheel. I would like that. But in the mean time, I found that if I rest my right 4 fingers on the top of the screen, I can then just tap with thumb to increase or decrease the speed. It is much better than stabbing at it while I drive and takes less attention from the road than trying to tap with my index finger while going over a bump.

2. AC — Same with the AC to increase and decrease temperature. It was cold this. Morning, so I was jockeying the heat. I just underhandedly held the bottom of the screen and used my thumb to change the temp, Works well.

3. No Binnacle — This was a 30 mile drive in the dark, First trip in th dark. I am use to screen already and dont miss the binacle one bit. Additionally, “the black hole” some YouTubers are complaining about :rolleyes:, that is click bait. There is nothing scary about this.

4. Phone Useage — I like the voice commands, but sometimes doesn’t work if you dont know the contact name exactly. So if you bring up the phone tab, you can just select it from the recents or contact list. But if it wasn’t recent, it could be hard to scroll to find. I would hope that they will had a Favorites tab that either you can designate or that maps from your phone favorites like the contacts

5. Podcast — I was trying to pick up a podcast from where I left off last night. But TuneIn does not mark your place, so it starts over again. So if you don’t remember the stop point you will be searching for it. Plus the bar to do that is small, so I could not do that without being at a complete stop

Last edited:

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So after driving a LEAF for 5 years, I am use to to thinking about my energy usage. I have no range anxiety now. My commute is 30 miles each way to work. So this morning I decided to see what it takes to drive like a normal person and not in the slow lane with the heat off and coat on, so that I can make it home. I am also curious about vampire drain.

So this morning I left the house with 285 mile of range.
fb0a435e-e271-41e5-9a20-d4bffdf83237-jpeg.6472

That was 91% but forgot to take a pic.
The nav said I would arrive with 81% and could round trip it and be home with 72%
aaebb1e9-27b0-4292-a0ee-cd9a9a996909-jpeg.6473

As I got to work, it had changed to arriving with 80% and return home with 71%
When I got there, I parked with 250 miles of range and 80%
16fef227-d3b6-4ff7-ad4a-36aea1ae1792-jpeg.6474

The stats for the drive are here. So I drove 30.5 miles and used 35 miles of range.
72808a98-f862-418b-9733-af39711ea2ce-jpeg.6475

For you Leaf drivers, that works out to 3.73 miles per KWh. So a little worse than my Leaf at 3.9 Miles per KWh
But I also drove at 70-73 mph vs 63 mph. And I had the heat on the whole 40 minutes with no coat on. AHHHHHHH, it was so nice.

So very happy with those numbers. I will be parked there for 2.5 days. I left it with 80% at 5am. At 1pm, it says 79% and 246 miles. But that could be noise level since it may have been right at the cusp of changing to 79%. I will report how she does at 24, 48 and 57 hours parked.

EDIT: Fixed Energy Usage Units and typo. Added mileage remaining via Siri, as shown in post below.

Last edited:

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
For you Leaf drivers, that works out to 3.73 miles per Kw. So a little worse than my Leaf at 3.9 Miles per Kw.
You mean kWh (killowatt·hour), not kW (power and energy units are so confusing).

I wish Nissan had used watt·hours/mile instead of miles/kWatt·hour. Yes, the latter sounds more like miles/gallon, which North Americans are used to seeing. But I like the lack of fractional values when you talk about 268 W·h/mile (Model 3) and 256 W·h/mile (Leaf).

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You mean kWh (killowatt·hour), not kW (power and energy units are so confusing).

I wish Nissan had used watt·hours/mile instead of miles/kWatt·hour. Yes, the latter sounds more like miles/gallon, which North Americans are used to seeing. But I like the lack of fractional values when you talk about 268 W·h/mile (Model 3) and 256 W·h/mile (Leaf).
Sure. I see your point and will correct that in the post. I just kinda say it that way since it quicker i.e It’s got a 75 kw pack and I used 8 kw to get to work.

But it is amazingly efficient in comparison to the Leaf. But that being said, I will be dropping references and comparisons to Leaf (mostly) as most people dont have a Leaf

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
But it is amazingly efficient in comparison to the Leaf. But that being said, I will be dropping references and comparisons to Leaf (mostly) as most people dont have a Leaf
I never meant to imply that - I was just rambling. I for one find the comparisons very useful. :)

mig

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sure. I see your point and will correct that in the post. I just kinda say it that way since it quicker i.e It’s got a 75 kw pack and I used 8 kw to get to work.

I drove a Leaf for 3 years and know exactly what you are talking about -- no heat, don't go above 60mph, draft off big rigs. When I wanted I could drive that Leaf *very* efficiently though! I averaged 4.7kWh/mi (213Wh/mi) over 42,0000 miles (CA weather though, so no really cold days). In the summer I could get up to 5.5kWh/mi (181Wh/mi) for my 50mi round trip commute!

I do feel like the Model 3 is better tuned for efficiency at highway driving speeds, which is perfect for commuting (for reference I've been getting about 240Wh/mi for my daily commute, 95% freeway, 70mph average, no truck drafting needed). Around town it is difficult to drive efficiently, perhaps due to the extra weight.) Driving efficiently isn't nearly as much on the mind when you have so much range anyway...

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I drove a Leaf for 3 years and know exactly what you are talking about -- no heat, don't go above 60mph, draft off big rigs. When I wanted I could drive that Leaf *very* efficiently though! I averaged 4.7kWh/mi (213Wh/mi) over 42,0000 miles (CA weather though, so no really cold days). In the summer I could get up to 5.5kWh/mi (181Wh/mi) for my 50mi round trip commute!

I do feel like the Model 3 is better tuned for efficiency at highway driving speeds, which is perfect for commuting (for reference I've been getting about 240Wh/mi for my daily commute, 95% freeway, 70mph average, no truck drafting needed). Around town it is difficult to drive efficiently, perhaps due to the extra weight.) Driving efficiently isn't nearly as much on the mind when you have so much range anyway...
Holy Moly!! 4.7??! NEVER saw that in Texas. My lifetime average over 2 cars (2 yr lease and 3 yr own) and 70k miles is 3.9-4.0, but I hate being cold and AM TOLD, can be impatient...:eek:

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Interesting find via Electrek
https://electrek.co/2018/03/20/tesl...s-with-model-3/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

You can use Siri for some things with the new app update from Yesterday.
As I said above I left the car set to Energy %, so that is what I can see via my app while away from her.
If I ask Siri...

1a50b3ae-99b0-46b1-9d16-3116c4ad6000-png.6487

So now I can report the vampire drain both ways. Of course I will check for accuracy when I return to her.

MGallo

J.A.R.V.I.S. is awesome!
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Luxman, thank you so much for this journal. It is most helpful and entertaining (I'm sure Sandy's garage has a maple leaf on the floor).

I've been tying to figure out a comparison to MPG and seeing the kwH helps.What do you pay for electricity and what did you calculate as your cost per mile (just electricity, not TCO)? I want to compare my math (without doing math in public).

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Luxman, thank you so much for this journal. It is most helpful and entertaining (I'm sure Sandy's garage has a maple leaf on the floor).

I've been tying to figure out a comparison to MPG and seeing the kwH helps.What do you pay for electricity and what did you calculate as your cost per mile (just electricity, not TCO)? I want to compare my math (without doing math in public).
Thanks MGallo!

My rate plan is as follows....per month...
First 700 KWh = $0.092402 per KWh
Next 300 KWh = $0.082402 per KWh
Over 1000 KWh = $0.077402 per KWh

As I am averaging just over 1400 KWh of usage a month, I could say that the car comes off the top as I drive about 1000 miles/month.
268 Wh/Mi => 268,000 Wh/Month => 268 KWh per month @ $0.077402 = $20.74 => 2.07¢/mile in electricity.

I just filled up my wife’s PU :mad: at $2.29/Gal and it gets about 18 around town :eek: => 12.72¢/mile!!! 6x more expensive on fuel!!!! (Supercharging not withstanding, but that is another thread LOL!). Thankfully she is now starting to drive the LEAF we have around town when my son isn’t.

MGallo

J.A.R.V.I.S. is awesome!
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That's about right. I pay .125 and I figured it's about .03c per mile. interestingly, on my current tiered plan my prices go UP the more i use, but our EV plan is time of use based so that rate I quoted is for charging from 11PM-7AM. Good thing I can program the charge time! Here is a handy little chart I created to show my wife how much we will save on gas. I found the the 27 KwH/100 miles for the M3 on the web somewhere. I've also seen 23.7.

upload_2018-3-21_18-47-17-png.6488

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That's about right. I pay .125 and I figured it's about .03c per mile. interestingly, on my current tiered plan my prices go UP the more i use, but our EV plan is time of use based so that rate I quoted is for charging from 11PM-7AM. Good thing I can program the charge time! Here is a handy little chart I created to show my wife how much we will save on gas. I found the the 27 KwH/100 miles for the M3 on the web somewhere. I've also seen 23.7.

View attachment 6488
Yeah, ours is the standard plan for the Co-op. The Time of Use plan they have would not be useful for us. Everything is pricier in California. But that off peak rate still makes it 6x cheaper to fuel up!!!

I think the 23.7 number is low. That 27 KWh/100 miles is right on with my little test shown above. At 268 Wh/mil, that is 26.8 KWh/100 miles and just driving like I want to.

Last edited: