Question The act of turning your steering wheel while the vehicle is not in motion is known as "dry steering." How to convince my wife this is bad?

sonoswen

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I have told her many times that turning the steering wheel while stopped (and more than a little bit ) and she thinks it is not serious. I think it can be in the long term. A Tesla vehicle is heavy, I tell her, but she said she does not care. How to convince her she is mistaken? Yes, I have said the car weighs 4200 lbs.

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
It is not great on the wheel, as it does tend to wear off some rubber. It gets worse if you stay in one place and do it a lot, not as bad if you do it periodically (the wear spot is moved around).
This wasn't a problem before power steering, it took a LOT of work without power. And many manufacturers have added enough feedback to still make it hard when stopped.

DocScott

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I grew up in San Francisco, where it's essentially mandatory to do that. The law is that even on any very gentle slopes you need to curb your wheels; i.e., point them so that if the car starts to roll downhill it will roll in to the curb. If you don't do that, you can get a ticket. I suppose it's theoretically possible to pull in to a space in such a way that your wheels are curbed as a result of your last maneuver, but that would add a considerable degree of difficulty to parking, so everyone I know just parks and then turns the wheel while stopped.

sonoswen

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
DocScott..and I grew up in Oakland when there was lots of room to park..ok, years agoHA!. I get your point, a valid one. My wife backs the car into our garage and Almost every time she needs to straighten out the car, and cranks the wheel when stopped. I will try to get over it and in 3 years trade up...oy, I wish.

Reactions: DocScott

SoFlaModel3

Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I have told her many times that turning the steering wheel while stopped (and more than a little bit ) and she thinks it is not serious. I think it can be in the long term. A Tesla vehicle is heavy, I tell her, but she said she does not care. How to convince her she is mistaken? Yes, I have said the car weighs 4200 lbs.

Don’t show her what Smart Summon does 😂

TomT

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Another consideration is that dry steering places heavy loads (and more wear) on the steering gear...

sonoswen

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Another consideration is that dry steering places heavy loads (and more wear) on the steering gear...
That and tie rods and all other componants of the steering structure....I would think..That is my contention.

She still does it.

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
autopark dry steers the car each and every time.
  • Car mostly backs in.
  • stops.
  • dry steers to adjust direction
  • drive forward a bit
  • stops
  • dry steers again to get final "aim" at the spot
  • backs into spot.
Not a hill I would choose to die upon when the car itself does it.