the 10 things I like least (moved from the 1 thing thread)

BostonPilot

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
who doesn't get how to use the wipers?

you just push the button on the end of the turn signal stalk and they go on. pretty simple i thought.
That'll get you one wipe. If you're driving along in a light rain and you run into a torrential downpour, you can tap the end of the stalk to bring up the UI, but you still have to look down at the screen in order to hit the "fastest" mode. And, similarly, when the downpour ends you almost certainly want to slow it back down. I could do all that by feel in all my previous cars. Now I have to look away from the road, while driving in bad visibility, in order to hit the desired speed in the UI.

It's not the end of the world, but it's certainly not as safe, and probably didn't save them all that much money.

Most stuff that they moved to the UI I'm okay with. This is one I think they went too far.

styleruk

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
That'll get you one wipe. If you're driving along in a light rain and you run into a torrential downpour, you can tap the end of the stalk to bring up the UI, but you still have to look down at the screen in order to hit the "fastest" mode. And, similarly, when the downpour ends you almost certainly want to slow it back down. I could do all that by feel in all my previous cars. Now I have to look away from the road, while driving in bad visibility, in order to hit the desired speed in the UI.

It's not the end of the world, but it's certainly not as safe, and probably didn't save them all that much money.

Most stuff that they moved to the UI I'm okay with. This is one I think they went too far.
I have to agree with that, it is a hazard taking your eyes off the road immediately when the sky falls on your head. That said, I like the fact that they can change and improve things with how it works, but with a button, you can't so much. Maybe in the future, they will have a small area nearest the driver with instant commands you can set,eg; fast wipe...or demist everything but I'm sure they'll come up with something better in time.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have to agree with that, it is a hazard taking your eyes off the road immediately when the sky falls on your head. That said, I like the fact that they can change and improve things with how it works, but with a button, you can't so much. Maybe in the future, they will have a small area nearest the driver with instant commands you can set,eg; fast wipe...or demist everything but I'm sure they'll come up with something better in time.
I find the auto wipers to change speeds and adapt to the rain as I would want them to. Having driven thru a NW fall, winter and spring now, I can think of only two times I needed to move from auto to manual wipers because I wanted them to run at a different speed.

PaulK

Country
Country
Here’s an idea. The button on the stalk is already 2-position. First detent, single wipe (and activates UI). Second detent, washer fluid.

Instead, the second detent could do double-duty. Depress to the second detent momentarily, could put the wipers into auto (or the last-used constant mode). Holding the button >0.5 second could still activate washer fluid. I think this would mean that even the uninformed would not be adversely impacted by this small change of function.

Then, while running in auto or constant mode, pressing to the single detent could put it back to “off mode”.

Long Ranger

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I find the auto wipers to change speeds and adapt to the rain as I would want them to. Having driven thru a NW fall, winter and spring now, I can think of only two times I needed to move from auto to manual wipers because I wanted them to run at a different speed.
I suspect much of your success is due to using RainX. Without it, my auto wipers couldn't handle Seattle rain yesterday, Portland rain on Saturday, and countless other times in the past with moderate, steady rain. I either have to press the swipe button endlessly or switch to manual speed 3 to be able to see.

Now the obvious answer is that I should try RainX, and maybe I will. I just remember having a problem with chatter years ago, and also don't think it should be a requirement in order to have functional auto wipers.

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
  1. I agree with the need for grab handles, trailer hitch, lift back (my wife is waiting for the Y for that reason). Those would all be welcome.

2. Wipers I'm kind of so-so about. When AP went out for a while recently (taking auto-wipers with it), doing everything manually was fairly easy, but not nearly as convenient. Not being able to see well is muy stressful in heavy rain. I'd like to see some "double-click = less quickly" and "triple-click=more quickly" and "quad click = Auto" type of shortcut. Plus verbal commands: "set wipers to 4," and "set wipers to auto."

3. I'd disagree strongly with the traction control. This is the first car for me where I never hear the wheels skid, accelerating OR braking); can you imagine how less attractive the cars would be if Tesla owners were constantly squealing away from stop lights as if they were mustangs? Eesh.

4. Nav works great for me, but I probably have the opposite perspective from Misanthrope: I'm super pleased that it works as much as it does, and to me it's "cruise control as performed by a super computer." The whole family follows along on its journey to get smarter and smarter, and more helpful. We don't expect it to be perfect, we're amazed how well it's learning to drive. So far on the freeway, and in the future in town on well-marked roads, then eventually everywhere. It will be a cool journey.

5. I think a disagree button would have one useful effect: it would save people from feeling the need to add a comment just to disagree. You'd see a bunch of disagrees, and you'd feel less of a need to pipe up. Threads could be a little shorter. And it would be obvious quickly which comments didn't seem super-useful.

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You’re not driving it the right way
;)
You're not wrong.

When I test drove the Jaguar I-PACE, I was skidding that pig all over the slalom course. The ride-along person was white-knuckling it, as I pretended not to hear his stuttering instructions ("what?"), and the crowd perked up at all the noise. Honestly, some of the people were driving like they were in a church parking lot. I think I placed third, ahead of some of the instructors.

But there's a fundamental difference between how one drives one's own car and a rental...

Especially if it's a Jag.

Olds442

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Variable speed, it's all about the variable speed. Our old '99 Toyota 4Runner had better variable wiper speed control on the stalk than the 4 discrete choices given by the M3 (plus Auto, which, although improving, still doesn't work as well as it should).
i guess, but once i hit it to clear the windshield it keeps up with the rain automatically. i haven't had to use the manual mode yet. weird that i've never noticed it i guess.
i've had variable speed on most cars since the '80s.

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
i guess, but once i hit it to clear the windshield it keeps up with the rain automatically. i haven't had to use the manual mode yet. weird that i've never noticed it i guess.
i've had variable speed on most cars since the '80s.
The best thing about a Tesla is the amount of software control, and Tesla's willingness to improve it constantly.

I could imagine:
  • Whenever you press the wiper button on the left stalk (which you use to give a wipe usually)...
  • ...for the next few seconds the right scroller controls wipe speed, from full speed to very slow intermittent in, say, 32 steps.
  • Double tap the wiper button to go back to Auto
This would still work with Autopilot (wipers only temporarily take control of the scroller).
The thought process would be, "I need to adjust the wipers (presses stalk wiper button), and make them slower (scrolls down right scroller)."

If you're not in Autopilot, maybe the right scroller stays on wiper speed all the time.

You don't just throw together a UI like this (needs refinement and more thought), but I'm just saying this to get people to appreciate the possibilities.

You buy any other car and you're stuck with what you bought.

Nautilus

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Interesting discussion about possible solutions to the wiper issue (which does seem to have hit a nerve with some people, myself included) :). Lots of good food for thought.

As I'm reading some of the suggestions, the thing nagging in the back of my head is the complexity that Apple has introduced on some of their newer iPhones, e.g. "short press, do this. long press, do that. long press and a wipe left do a third thing". I'm not an iPhone user, but my wife and son are (the one thing in our house I DO NOT provide technical support on...). I sometimes hear them or my iPhone-using work colleagues complaining about how they can never keep track of all the functionality that is there.

That would be my concern with some of the proposed solutions above: "CRAP! I wanted to increase my wiper speed, NOT speed up cruise control in this heavy rain!!!".

PaulK

Country
Country
Interesting discussion about possible solutions to the wiper issue (which does seem to have hit a nerve with some people, myself included) :). Lots of good food for thought.

As I'm reading some of the suggestions, the thing nagging in the back of my head is the complexity that Apple has introduced on some of their newer iPhones, e.g. "short press, do this. long press, do that. long press and a wipe left do a third thing". I'm not an iPhone user, but my wife and son are (the one thing in our house I DO NOT provide technical support on...). I sometimes hear them or my iPhone-using work colleagues complaining about how they can never keep track of all the functionality that is there.

That would be my concern with some of the proposed solutions above: "CRAP! I wanted to increase my wiper speed, NOT speed up cruise control in this heavy rain!!!".
Agreed.

I believe that any functions that are changed or updated over time should not impact someone who doesn’t know about the change.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Many of these are small quibbles but would be great to fix for day-to-day life:

1. As much as I love the interior, that black faux-leather on everything gets dirty way too easily. My door arm rest is covered in water spots and dust.

2. Has anyone else had the wipers run when the driver's door is open? Had it happen a few times and I worry one of these days I will get a dead window switch cluster due to flooding.

3.Keep the charge port door open longer when parked so I have time to go get the charge cable. I just have to press the button on the charge handle to re-open the door but seems silly to have the button on the screen if I have to open it again. Also adding a light so I can see where I am plugging at night.

4. Save headlight preferences to the driver's profile. I frequently turn the headlights off during the day when it decides it to turn them on. Just seems like a waste of energy even if the lights are super efficient.

5. Give me the option to train the car to park in my carport at home. It is a bit tricky to get into but having it auto park would be pretty sweet.

6. It doesn't seem to sense yellow parking spot lines so I can't auto park in the parking deck at work.

7. The rear glass rain gutter design makes the trunk unusable in the rain since water drains straight down into the trunk. Glad I at least got the all weather mat back there.

8. The side-mirror chrome stalk creates some bad glare when the sun is at the wrong angle. Seriously considering paying someone to do the full chrome-delete since I don't know how much I trust taking the mirrors apart to do it myself.

And a few things others have already mentioned like stalk mounted wiper control, being able to turn off traction control, etc.

PaulK

Country
Country
Many of these are small quibbles but would be great to fix for day-to-day life:

1. As much as I love the interior, that black faux-leather on everything gets dirty way too easily. My door arm rest is covered in water spots and dust.

2. Has anyone else had the wipers run when the driver's door is open? Had it happen a few times and I worry one of these days I will get a dead window switch cluster due to flooding.

3.Keep the charge port door open longer when parked so I have time to go get the charge cable. I just have to press the button on the charge handle to re-open the door but seems silly to have the button on the screen if I have to open it again. Also adding a light so I can see where I am plugging at night.

4. Save headlight preferences to the driver's profile. I frequently turn the headlights off during the day when it decides it to turn them on. Just seems like a waste of energy even if the lights are super efficient.

5. Give me the option to train the car to park in my carport at home. It is a bit tricky to get into but having it auto park would be pretty sweet.

6. It doesn't seem to sense yellow parking spot lines so I can't auto park in the parking deck at work.

7. The rear glass rain gutter design makes the trunk unusable in the rain since water drains straight down into the trunk. Glad I at least got the all weather mat back there.

8. The side-mirror chrome stalk creates some bad glare when the sun is at the wrong angle. Seriously considering paying someone to do the full chrome-delete since I don't know how much I trust taking the mirrors apart to do it myself.

And a few things others have already mentioned like stalk mounted wiper control, being able to turn off traction control, etc.

A few comments:

2. No, my wipers specifically do not run when the driver door is not closed. But I haven't re-verified on a recent FW update so I'll try it out later today.

3. The time is long enough for me, but I agree - especially if the car is unlocked it should stay open longer.

4. Also agree here - if the user selects ON or OFF it should stay that way until changed. I wouldn't mind a pop-up reminder if I pull out at night with them "OFF" to go back to AUTO or ON, but just turning ON or OFF on its own is not appreciated unless I selected "AUTO". My biggest issue here is when I pull up to get mail from my cluster stand near my house. No matter what I do, when I get out of the car the lights turn off. If I command them to "ON" then immediately get out it shouldn't shut them off right away. This is a connected, smart car. If I walked away and it locked, it could send me a notification that I left the lights on. It could also turn them off after, say, 3 minutes. But if I leave it unlocked, or open, or my phone inside and get out - it has no reason to immediately kill all of the lights. It can be dangerous.

7. There are a number of threads on this. It seems that for the broad majority of people it's a non-issue (or a very rare event). That said, I agree the design should be better there - my only disagreement is "unusable" because I haven't found that to be the case as I feared.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
7. There are a number of threads on this. It seems that for the broad majority of people it's a non-issue (or a very rare event). That said, I agree the design should be better there - my only disagreement is "unusable" because I haven't found that to be the case as I feared.
Yea, maybe "unusable" is a bit hyperbolic but it is definitely bad if I get a wave of water into my trunk when I try to get something out of it.