the 10 things I like least (moved from the 1 thing thread)

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Oh my, I realize that nothing is perfect, but I barely know where to begin.

1. No heated steering wheel like my volt! I have reynaud's syndrome which means my hands are less tolerant of snowy new england mornings than average. Blasting the heat can cut the range in half on an EV, making it more like a 150 mile car. Considering tesla probably spent the better part of $10,000 on the battery, I'll probably be using several thousand dollars worth of that capacity during a winter drive just to keep my hands warm. A $1 kapton heater and a relay was apparently too high a price to add a feature that is not only standard in essentially ever other vehicle in the segment, but even more important in an EV. It just boggles the mind.
2. Conventional sedan when it should have been a liftback like my volt. I really care far more about function than form, so the glass roof doesn't really compensate here. Liftbacks have so much more utility.
3. The wiper controls are an atrocity. There is no nice way to spin this; it'd be excusable if the autowipers were consistent, but they aren't. I can't rationalize why tesla can't make wiper controls that function as well as a twelve year old mazda.
4. Car didn't come with trailer hitch option.
5. No sunroof option.
6. Nanny traction control makes it a bit less fun to drive than my much cheaper subaru.
7. No handbrake, see no. 6.
8. No grab handles.
9. They used resistive heating when they should have used a heat pump like Nissan/Audi etc. use in their EVs. Could have added 50+ miles of cold weather range for relatively low cost.
10. Autopilot is terrifyingly bad at it's job so far. It randomly tries to dart off of the side of clearly marked roads for no reason. It constantly slams on the brakes while cruising on the highway when operating near cars in adjacent lanes, despite having a clear lane ahead. It occasionally slams on the brakes when approaching a highway underpass. With 100% being true FSD, I'd say they are currently at about 2% completion after three years of working on it. Should take at least a century at the current rate of improvement.

When you put all of these things together, I have to admit that the car feels a bit half baked compared to either our subaru or our chevy volt, both of which were much cheaper vehicles than this one.

Still, I bought the car. But I bought it despite these things. If you took away just half of these issues, it would have been a total no brainer. As it is, I spent half a year waffling back and forth on the decision compared to buying a brand new WRX for $20K less.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

1. No heated steering wheel like my volt! I have reynaud's syndrome which means my hands are less tolerant of snowy new england mornings than average. Blasting the heat can cut the range in half on an EV, making it more like a 150 mile car. Considering tesla probably spent the better part of $10,000 on the battery, I'll probably be using several thousand dollars worth of that capacity during a winter drive just to keep my hands warm. A $1 kapton heater and a relay was apparently too high a price to add a feature that is not only standard in essentially ever other vehicle in the segment, but even more important in an EV. It just boggles the mind.
2. Conventional sedan when it should have been a liftback like my volt. I really care far more about function than form, so the glass roof doesn't really compensate here. Liftbacks have so much more utility.
3. The wiper controls are an atrocity. There is no nice way to spin this; it'd be excusable if the autowipers were consistent, but they aren't. I can't rationalize why tesla can't make wiper controls that function as well as a twelve year old mazda.
5. No sunroof option.
6. Nanny traction control makes it a bit less fun to drive than my much cheaper subaru.
8. No grab handles.
9. They used resistive heating when they should have used a heat pump like Nissan/Audi etc. use in their EVs. Could have added 50+ miles of cold weather range for relatively low cost.
10. Autopilot is terrifyingly bad at it's job so far. It randomly tries to dart off of the side of clearly marked roads for no reason. It constantly slams on the brakes while cruising on the highway when operating near cars in adjacent lanes, despite having a clear lane ahead. It occasionally slams on the brakes when approaching a highway underpass. With 100% being true FSD, I'd say they are currently at about 2% completion after three years of working on it. Should take at least a century at the current rate of improvement.

When you put all of these things together, I have to admit that the car feels a bit half baked compared to either our subaru or our chevy volt, both of which were much cheaper vehicles than this one.

Still, I bought the car. But I bought it despite these things. If you took away just half of these issues, it would have been a total no brainer. As it is, I spent half a year waffling back and forth on the decision compared to buying a brand new WRX for $20K less.
I think you misunderstood "what one thing".

7: press and hold in the gear button for the ebrake
1-2, 4-5, 8-9: these are all pretty clearly documented as what is or isnt part of the design
6: there is slip start, otherwise I see no issue with how the TC is
3- 10: not at all my experience. I don't have any issues with the wipes that others complain about, and find AP better than I expect it to be at this point

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
the idea that the car "b

1-5, 8-9: these are all pretty clearly documented as what is or isnt part of the design
10: not at all my experience.
I understand that they weren't "part of the design", but I'm not sure what that understanding does for me. At the end of the day, I bought the car because of the unrivaled propulsion technology, which to a large extent compensates for the car's shortcomings.

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Posts like that are why we need the "disagree" button. They make me wonder if we are even talking about the same car.
I believe the point of omitting the disagree button is to encourage people to post what they disagree about, instead of leaving it to a simple click of a button. It forces the exchange of ideas instead of simply being disagreeable. In theory.

Nautilus

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

5. No sunroof option.
8. No grab handles.

I am going to stick my neck out and defend @Misanthropic Mike 's post. I think it embodies what is rapidly vanishing in society today - a willingness to listen to viewpoints that may not align with our own. As I was reading the post, I was thinking "Wow, with a list that long, why did you buy the car?", but at the same time for about half the points I was thinking "Yeah, he's got a point there", while the other half I maybe thought "Nah, don't agree". Now, there's some Chutzpah coming on a forum of enthusiasts and the first post is a b*tch list, but at the same time it can be healthy to be exposed to views different from one's own. And Mike did warn us he was misanthropic! I'll go get my Kevlar vest now...

P.S. Point 3 - Wiper controls - Totally agree. It drives me nuts, but it's getting better with each software release which is a POWERFUL tool that Tesla has that Audi and Chevy do not.

P.P.S. Point 10 - Scoring 2/100 on FSD makes me very thankful @Misanthropic Mike never graded any of my schoolwork :). And that is also improving with every software release (the FSD, not my schoolwork).

Last edited:
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I just like to call a spade a spade. I know a lot of folks who drive Audi, Porsche, BMW, etc. Many of them were willing to entertain the idea of driving a Tesla but couldn't reconcile the perceived quality difference for the same price as these other offerings. I strongly believe that high expectations serve to strengthen people and organizations, while apologists do the opposite. Tesla is in a league of their own on drivetrain, and I consider drivetrain to be the most important part of any vehicle I own. It's just frustrating to see them hit it out of the park on the hard stuff but then drop the ball on a few details to such an extent on a product that is in most regards a landmark moment in automotive history.

Maybe I'm being too hard on the FSD system, or maybe there is something wrong with mine. Every time I've engaged it so far I've at least felt bad for the people behind me. I would think the basic features like LKA and TACC are way easier than navigating city streets, stop lights, unmarked snowy roads, distinguishing between uniformed officers and pedestrians and following hand signals, etc... so the fact that they haven't even perfected these basic features yet seems ominous for the prospects of real "wake me up when we get there" "robotaxi" FSD.

PaulK

Country
Country

1-5, 8-9: these are all pretty clearly documented as what is or isnt part of the design
10: not at all my experience.
Melinda, I was all ready to hit the “Agree” button until your rebuttal to #10.

I’ll add that I agree with Mike about the wiper controls - this is a fail. One more button (or twistable control) on the stalk could have improved this.

#6 (traction control) does take some fun away but I already tear up my tires fast enough as it is LOL. That said, I would appreciate a track mode for my RWD. And one of the benefits of owning a Tesla is that some things like this have a possibility of being added as a software update.

My ONE THING is the phantom (vampire) drain.

$ Trillion Musk

Buy $XRP. Hodl it for life.
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Maybe I'm being too hard on the FSD system, or maybe there is something wrong with mine. Every time I've engaged it so far I've at least felt bad for the people behind me. I would think the basic features like LKA and TACC are way easier than navigating city streets, stop lights, unmarked snowy roads, distinguishing between uniformed officers and pedestrians and following hand signals, etc... so the fact that they haven't even perfected these basic features yet seems ominous for the prospects of real "wake me up when we get there" "robotaxi" FSD.
FSD will get better exponentially over time, which would - in just a few years - make the Audis and BMWs seem like horses - can’t stress enough the enormity of this statement. Elon did mention significant improvements by end of this year, which hopefully should encourage you.

It’s truly amazing that Tesla hardware that you have today IS the Robotaxi of tomorrow! We should all be very excited. All we have to do is wait for our spaceships to awaken on that momentous day in the not so distant future.

MachV

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

5. No sunroof option.
8. No grab handles.

Wish there was a "Disagree" button.

There is so much wrong here its not even worth discussing

BostonPilot

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
No
Actually, this list is almost exactly the same I'd complain about... Maybe because we're both coming from Subaru?

1. No heated steering wheel like my volt!
Agreed, and yet when I've brought it up in the past on these forums I get a lot of people pushing back really hard, which I don't understand. If you don't like a feature like this, just don't turn it on. But I've had it on my last 2 cars and really miss it. On cold days I end up running the heat to blow hot air on the wheel and my hands because they're cold from gripping the steering wheel. It's such a common option on much less expensive cars, not sure why it wasn't included. If someone comes up with an aftermarket hack, I'd seriously consider it.

Actually, I like the sedan because I carry lots of weapons in the trunk... I don't carry them in my Volt because there's no way to lock them... I realize there probably aren't too many people with that perspective. It just goes to show that Tesla needs to make the Model Y as well, because there are some options like this that are just personal preference.

Emphatically agree. It's been raining in the Boston area for like... the entire last month? And I keep finding myself having to fumble with the wiper controls on the center screen. It's dangerous. Just suck it up and put a twist on/off/intermittent control on the end of the wiper stalk! This is one where they really screwed up - wiper controls do NOT belong on a UI off to the side that requires the driver to take eyes off the road.

Yeah, although there are aftermarket solutions that I'm going to do. When I need to trailer my motorcycle, or pick up some lumber in my little landscaping trailer, or take my bicycle with me, I need a trailer hitch. Of course, you've heard that it's now an option in Europe, but not retrofittable for existing cars.

Yeah, coming from a Subaru STi I gotta say this thing is not much fun in the snow. Even in track mode (which seems weird in the snow to hear it cranking up the chiller to try to cool stuff down???) it really doesn't let you play. I'd like to see a "traction and stability controls TOTALLY OFF" setting in the UI. Of course, then I'll want LSDs like the Subaru has ;)

I really miss this for a few reasons. The person who posted "you can push the button on the end of the stalk" apparently hasn't done a lot of AWD driving in the snow. But there are a couple of other reasons... I'd like to have at least ONE control that isn't controlled by software. Have you ever tried to dry your brakes off by pressing on both the accelerator and the brake pedals at the same time? You get a little warning and it refuses to do it... because the software knows better. Grr! That said, the handbrake is going the way of the dodo... I was really happy that Subaru kept it on the new WRX/STis, even though they've gone electric parking brake on some of their other models. So, as much as I miss the handbrake, I realize that's a lost battle with all the manufacturers.

Yeah, my wife really misses those! And I have to keep reminding her not to be grabbing at the headliner because eventually there's going to be a dirty spot where she keeps trying to grab the handle that isn't there when I go flying into a turn!

Strongly agree with this. I've had lots of days this month where it's 40-50 and I want a little heat in the cabin, but I don't want to take the hit of over 300 Wh/m to run the electric heater. This was a problem with my old Honda Fit EV and it's a problem with the Model 3. It just kills the range when you have to turn on the cabin heat. And yes, of course I preheat the car in the garage, but that doesn't help on a long drive, or when you've parked someplace and come back to a cold car.

I've complained a lot about autopilot. Yesterday we had to do a 40 minute drive to Worcester. Easy highway. After the car hit the brakes a few times for no good reason, my wife demanded I turn it off. I have a long list of ways it's tried to crash us. I think the recent change they had to do in Europe to limit how fast/far it can turn the wheel is a good one - a few weeks ago it screwed up and almost yanked the wheel out of my hand it suddenly tried to turn the wheel so quickly / hard. It's got a LONG way to go.

Yeah, I traded in my STi for this car. There are a LOT of simple things in the Subaru, many of which you mentioned, that I really miss. However I love the performance (I have the P3), I love the quiet about town (I do wish it was quieter on the highway). The handling is far better than the Volt - just not even close. In track mode I'd say the handling is on a par with the STi on dry pavement, but of course it's not even close to the Subie in the snow. (but I didn't expect it to be).

Hopefully they'll keep improving the car, and correcting some of the more irritating limitations.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Actually, I like the sedan because I carry lots of weapons in the trunk... I don't carry them in my Volt because there's no way to lock them... I realize there probably aren't too many people with that perspective.
That makes no sense at all.

The seatback release is in the cabin. How is that different from the Volt?

BTW, do you live in Angola, Serbia or Yemen? ;)

Olds442

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
who doesn't get how to use the wipers?

you just push the button on the end of the turn signal stalk and they go on. pretty simple i thought.

Nautilus

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
who doesn't get how to use the wipers?

you just push the button on the end of the turn signal stalk and they go on. pretty simple i thought.
Variable speed, it's all about the variable speed. Our old '99 Toyota 4Runner had better variable wiper speed control on the stalk than the 4 discrete choices given by the M3 (plus Auto, which, although improving, still doesn't work as well as it should).

PaulK

Country
Country
It's one reason why people are selling these: seat locks.
Great idea and nice work on this! I have one concern about the design:

It is nice that when the seats are folded down, you can move most of the mechanism out of the way by putting it back in the locked position.

However, if you forget to move them back down to the unlocked position and slam the seat back up (as most people seem to do - even to my doors UGH), will it break off the locking pin?