Test drives in Dedham, MA (Boston area) starting 7/31

joelliot

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
...got a call today. Test drives of Model 3 starting 31 July. First two days where booked by the time they called me but I was able to get a 8 August test drive. ...not sure if they are just going by who booked on the web or if there is a priority. I confirmed by order and have a September - November delivery estimate like many dual motor late reservations. Maybe they are giving priority to those that have confirmed there orders? I suspect that this may be an attempt to up sell me to performance, and it may work.

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
...got a call today. Test drives of Model 3 starting 31 July. First two days where booked by the time they called me but I was able to get a 8 August test drive. ...not sure if they are just going by who booked on the web or if there is a priority. I confirmed by order and have a September - November delivery estimate like many dual motor late reservations. Maybe they are giving priority to those that have confirmed there orders? I suspect that this may be an attempt to up sell me to performance, and it may work.
Sweet! I tried calling them today to schedule mine, but the sales line kept ringing endlessly...

Did they give any indication as to whether their test-drive vehicle will be RWD or Performance AWD?

joelliot

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I was too happy with the call to remember to ask basic questions like what type of car we would be able to drive. I'm hoping it's the performance. Will report back next week after the drive.

Bokonon

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I was too happy with the call to remember to ask basic questions like what type of car we would be able to drive. I'm hoping it's the performance. Will report back next week after the drive.
Thanks, please do!

Great to hear. I'll be waiting for Performance, and probably Natick (or maybe Boston if they let us on Storrow)
Storrow in a Performance 3 would be WILD!! :eek::tonguewink: :D

Bokonon

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I won't lie, Storrow used to be my favorite part of my old Newton to Gloucester commute, back when it was like a densely packed race track doing 60mph...the curves of Rt. 1 after the Tobin were great too!
First job out of college, a coworker/friend and I both commuted home together, Cambridge to Arlington Heights via Storrow, Fresh Pond, and Route 2. We often worked late into the night 1-2 days a week, so on those nights, driving that route home with no traffic at all was the perfect way to blow off some steam! Of course, he had a brand new, matchstick red GTI, I had a loss-leader '97 Civic HX that handled like a newspaper, so he usually lost me pretty quickly. :rolleyes: But man, those were some fun times...

ETA: Agree on RT 1 as well. Back when I had an '03 Golf TDI and lived in Somerville, the Hess station on RT 1 in Saugus had the highest-quality diesel in the area, so every time I needed to fill up, I had some fun on those curves as well.

Bokonon

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Back on topic...

Gave Dedham a call today and spoke with someone in Sales (didn't catch the name). He provided the following details on Model 3 test drives:
  • On the scheduling process: Tesla supplied the store with a list of test-drive signups from the website. The rep I spoke to and one of his colleagues at Dedham are starting to call everyone on this list to schedule their test drive. He told me to hang tight and to expect a call from him within 48 hours. (Of course, we know "48 hours" from Tesla is roughly equivalent to the colloquial form of "mañana" in Latin America, but I digress... :))

• On the test-drive vehicle: Tesla has told Dedham that they will indeed be receiving a Performance Model 3 on July 31st, so right now they are working under the assumption that test drives will be in the Performance vehicle. However, the rep cautioned, until the car is physically present in the store, they're neither guaranteeing that it will arrive July 31st, nor that test drives will actually be with the Performance vehicle. (I interpreted the latter to account for the possibility that the car may show up with "issues" from its long transit across the country.)'
I have commitments both this weekend and next weekend, so my test drive will probably end up scheduled for mid-August... but I'm very, very excited about the prospect of it being in a P3D!

Last edited:

Drhalo

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I would think Natick would be a good place to test drive if they will let you get to the westboro line. I test drove a 100D in Dedham and we went on I95 for one exit before the guy had me turning around.

joelliot

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So Dedham has two Ms3 available for test drive. I was given the choice between a red performance with white interior and and rear wheel drive. Test drive was short, a chance to try auto pilot and see how insane the acceleration was. Pretty much everything you might expect. I've never had a car with regen, but its not unlike driving a stick shift without a clutch. It took a bit of getting used to but by the time the test drive was done, I was fine. The outside temperature was almost 100F today so the air conditioning works well. The performance version has a startling amount of acceleration. Even if you have driven a fairly high performance car I think the instant lurch forward will come as a suprise. Of course, very quite. Unfortunately there was no real opportunity to get up to highway speed, even if I had asked to go onto 128 the traffic wasn't going to really allow for much. All told, very pleased and now eagerly waiting for my SEP-NOV delivery.

Cintoman

I got an email earlier this week from an Ashley at the Dedham store inviting me to test drive the Model 3. Because I live in RI and get out of work at 5:30pm, there's no way I'd be able to make it up there by 6pm. She said they had some times available this weekend but it figures that I'm tied up all weekend. So I booked an 11am appointment for a week from this Sunday (August 12). Can't come soon enough.
Originally was looking to get SR AWD EAP with white interior and blue exterior. Then assuming that SR won't be out before EOY, I'm nearly 100% certain I'd be going with LR instead. But with the new hike in price for AWD, I can't believe that I'm actually considering the Performance version!! Cost would be waaay more than what I was hoping to pay when budgeting for SR and now going with LR. But the P is definitely very tempting. And I'm sure if I test drive the P, it might sway me. The only thing that would sway me away from it are that the 20" tires are summer only. Definitely don't want to deal with winter changeovers. And I don't want the 18"'s.

--Cintoman

noam

Country
Country
FYI... I'd recommend anyone who wants to do a test drive check out Natick as well as Dedham. They seem to have a bunch of availability. I had called earlier in the week to book a time for yesterday afternoon, but somehow it didn't get put on their schedule. They were still able to have me do a test drive when I got there...

Bokonon

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
FYI... I'd recommend anyone who wants to do a test drive check out Natick as well as Dedham. They seem to have a bunch of availability. I had called earlier in the week to book a time for yesterday afternoon, but somehow it didn't get put on their schedule. They were still able to have me do a test drive when I got there...
How'd it go?!

noam

Country
Country
Loved the car... I really can't fault anything about the whole driving experience. Still wish I could drive the AWD to see what the actual performance is like, but driving the PAWD was still helpful to gauge it.

It looks like I should be getting the call/email soon... As of this morning I can no longer use the edit-design link.

Cintoman

So earlier today I went on my first test drive of a Model 3, the Performance version. Not the best of weather conditions....occasional showers and wet roads. But to say I was impressed is a major understatement. Everything that's been repeated on these forums is my sentiments as well. But what really surprised me is how much my wife liked it. Although she does hate the white interior, and, if this was going to be her car, she'd go with black. Loved the white dash...not flashy, matte finish. And I was also surprised how much I liked the white card on the doors...same material as the seats, unlike the black interior that has the alcantara-like material.

Acceleration was breathtaking despite not really being able to open it up fully due to the weather, but mostly due to my wife and daughter, sitting in the back potentially getting nauseous from the sheer acceleration. My son however, was all for it. Few other surprises: wife also really liked the red exterior. I was all hell bent on the Blue, but being that she gave me "permission" to get another red car ( I previously had a bright red 93 Ford Probe GT V-6), having another red car was now another choice in my mix. But being that the MCR is an additional $500 on top of the already raised to $1500 price for paint, ( I know...what's another $500 in the grand scheme of things), not to worry Blue fans....I'm sticking with Blue for my car.

The ride on the 20"s was nowhere as harsh as I was preparing to feel. But I too am coming from an 05 Mercedes C230 Sport Sedan, which, when compared to the C-Class luxury version, is very noticeably stiffer. So no complaints at all. Like everyone else says, this thing handles like it's on rails. Truly great chassis.

As for fit/finish, I didn't really inspect the one I drove, but there was another red 3 inside, and I gave it a good once-over. Panel gaps were spot on....no issues. Everything looks sooo much better than Model 3 versions I checked out months ago, including the earlier-built 3 they were showcasing at the Prudential quite a few months ago.

So, whether or not the P3D drive swayed me towards getting one? Yes sir it did.....I am likely going to be ordering a P3D with the PUO wheels/brakes within the next day or so.

Posted this on another thread, but here is one of my only concerns:

My main concern is with the Summer Performance tires that come with it. With the snow we get here in RI/New England, winter tires, or at least All-Seasons will be necessary, especially when Michelin warns against driving the P3S's tires in temps under 40F.

While at the Tesla store, I asked the sales guy (Nick B) if the Tesla factory would swap out the 20"s with the 19"s that have the Continental All-Seasons. However, he mentioned that another customer asked the same question, and they won't. And even less likely, the same customer asked if the Factory could swap out the Summer tires with similar 20" All-Seasons (specifically: Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+, either W or Y-rated). As expected, they won't.

I know Tesla offers the 19" wheels with winter tires on their store, they're a $3,500 USD option....a bit pricey I think. So I'm looking into what might be available for aftermarket wheels for the P3D.

One final thing that did surprise me was the advisor that came with me on the drive (same Nick as above) told me that because I live in RI and there are no Tesla stores there, I'd qualify for home delivery !! I really thought home delivery was only available if you were at least 150 miles from a Store or Delivery Center. For me, heck, I'm all for it. But I'm wondering how my delivery inspection would be, being that it would be outside my house and not in the store. And wondering how they would handle any issues I might find with the car (rear window distortion, paint defects, panel alignments, etc).

--Cintoman

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So earlier today I went on my first test drive of a Model 3, the Performance version. Not the best of weather conditions....occasional showers and wet roads. But to say I was impressed is a major understatement. Everything that's been repeated on these forums is my sentiments as well. But what really surprised me is how much my wife liked it. Although she does hate the white interior, and, if this was going to be her car, she'd go with black. Loved the white dash...not flashy, matte finish. And I was also surprised how much I liked the white card on the doors...same material as the seats, unlike the black interior that has the alcantara-like material.

Acceleration was breathtaking despite not really being able to open it up fully due to the weather, but mostly due to my wife and daughter, sitting in the back potentially getting nauseous from the sheer acceleration. My son however, was all for it. Few other surprises: wife also really liked the red exterior. I was all hell bent on the Blue, but being that she gave me "permission" to get another red car ( I previously had a bright red 93 Ford Probe GT V-6), having another red car was now another choice in my mix. But being that the MCR is an additional $500 on top of the already raised to $1500 price for paint, ( I know...what's another $500 in the grand scheme of things), not to worry Blue fans....I'm sticking with Blue for my car.

The ride on the 20"s was nowhere as harsh as I was preparing to feel. But I too am coming from an 05 Mercedes C230 Sport Sedan, which, when compared to the C-Class luxury version, is very noticeably stiffer. So no complaints at all. Like everyone else says, this thing handles like it's on rails. Truly great chassis.

As for fit/finish, I didn't really inspect the one I drove, but there was another red 3 inside, and I gave it a good once-over. Panel gaps were spot on....no issues. Everything looks sooo much better than Model 3 versions I checked out months ago, including the earlier-built 3 they were showcasing at the Prudential quite a few months ago.

So, whether or not the P3D drive swayed me towards getting one? Yes sir it did.....I am likely going to be ordering a P3D with the PUO wheels/brakes within the next day or so.

Posted this on another thread, but here is one of my only concerns:

My main concern is with the Summer Performance tires that come with it. With the snow we get here in RI/New England, winter tires, or at least All-Seasons will be necessary, especially when Michelin warns against driving the P3S's tires in temps under 40F.

While at the Tesla store, I asked the sales guy (Nick B) if the Tesla factory would swap out the 20"s with the 19"s that have the Continental All-Seasons. However, he mentioned that another customer asked the same question, and they won't. And even less likely, the same customer asked if the Factory could swap out the Summer tires with similar 20" All-Seasons (specifically: Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+, either W or Y-rated). As expected, they won't.

I know Tesla offers the 19" wheels with winter tires on their store, they're a $3,500 USD option....a bit pricey I think. So I'm looking into what might be available for aftermarket wheels for the P3D.

One final thing that did surprise me was the advisor that came with me on the drive (same Nick as above) told me that because I live in RI and there are no Tesla stores there, I'd qualify for home delivery !! I really thought home delivery was only available if you were at least 150 miles from a Store or Delivery Center. For me, heck, I'm all for it. But I'm wondering how my delivery inspection would be, being that it would be outside my house and not in the store. And wondering how they would handle any issues I might find with the car (rear window distortion, paint defects, panel alignments, etc).

--Cintoman
Awesome! As we all say, don't test drive a 3 unless you're ready to buy it!

I would recommend the sport tires for the summertime, the all seasons just don't have much grip as their are more concerned with economy and noise. Tesla does offer expensive winter options, but your best bet is to just buy them from TireRack with a much larger range of styles, and they arrive ready to put on the the car.

Zeke

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Here's a dumb question... (I know, there are no dumb questions; only dumb people asking questions): TireRack used to carry the same 19 inch Pirelli's that Tesla is selling as their $3500 winter tire package option, but now just seem to have the Bridgestone Blizzak Whatevers. While snow in Seattle is relatively rare, we live at elevation so do see snow/ice somewhat regularly until getting down to the city. Any opinions?

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Here's a dumb question... (I know, there are no dumb questions; only dumb people asking questions): TireRack used to carry the same 19 inch Pirelli's that Tesla is selling as their $3500 winter tire package option, but now just seem to have the Bridgestone Blizzak Whatevers. While snow in Seattle is relatively rare, we live at elevation so do see snow/ice somewhat regularly until getting down to the city. Any opinions?
Blizzaks are awesome in the snow, and usually a very good deal as well (compared to Nokians which are amazing but pricey). I would rather have the Blizzaks over the Pirelli's. Of course, even the worst snow tire is 100x better than any all-season in the snow.

I've swapped summer and winter wheels on all my cars for the past 16 years. I always highly recommend it. I usually can do it in my driveway in less than an hour.

Zeke

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Blizzaks are awesome in the snow, and usually a very good deal as well (compared to Nokians which are amazing but pricey). I would rather have the Blizzaks over the Pirelli's. Of course, even the worst snow tire is 100x better than any all-season in the snow.

I've swapped summer and winter wheels on all my cars for the past 16 years. I always highly recommend it. I usually can do it in my driveway in less than an hour.
Grazie mille!