TeslaTasks (was: Winter is coming)

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Ok, even though game of thrones has stopped, it appears that winter is still coming this year. Last winter I wrote a simple application dubbed TeslaTasks that makes it possible to schedule heating (and charging) your Tesla from a Google calendar. Back then I needed testers, because the Tesla API turned out to be not impressively stable. But it seems things are stable now, so we can really unfreeze our cars coming winter. TeslaTasks is free (as in beer), so if you like to stay in bed while your car is preheating...

appointment249x264-png.29817

I've created TeslaTasks initially just for myself, but the effort of making it usable for more people was not that big, so why not be a social human and share. Yes, registering requires trust by the owner of the car, and it is something that everyone needs to decide for him/herself if it is worth the risk. I have blogged about it, but it is what we have to live with, it simply is the way Tesla created their API. You can always temporarily change your password, and after registering with TeslaTasks change it back. Oh, Zac from now-you-know has tested it, and I still don't know his password. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Stach

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This looks like it could be very useful and easy enough to use. I will just have to keep a little cheatsheet handy for the proper commands. One quick question for you, but does this in any way contribute to phantom drain (I doubt that it does)? I use the Stats app and I recently enabled Background Refresh on it so that I could schedule charging, but that does appear to contribute some to phantom drain, so I'd prefer your app, so long that it does not.

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
No, TT does not contribute to the fantom drain, because all is done on the Microsoft Azure cloud, until the time something needs to happen with your car; then TT reaches out and instructs your car to do something. But up until then your car can sleep (just like you ;-) ).

Stach

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I set this up tonight and it works very slick. Have you thought about adding other keywords / functions like:
- Window Venting (new v10 feature)
- Locking doors (night time protection)
- Heating specific seats (or at least the drivers seat)
- Turn on/off Sentry

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
I've already added the charge keyword, heating seats would make sense, window venting also, but for the others I don't see a clear use case? The car automatically locks the door and enables sentry mode.

Stach

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've already added the charge keyword, heating seats would make sense, window venting also, but for the others I don't see a clear use case? The car automatically locks the door and enables sentry mode.
If somebody doesn't like the auto-lock feature, but would like to make sure that their car is locked at night, then they could setup a calendar entry to make sure that it's locked.

Similar scenario for Sentry Mode, I have Sentry configured not to turn on at home (in order to save battery), but at night it could be useful to turn it on (most crime happens at night) and then also turn it off in the morning after I'm awake.

In general, if you can add keywords for these commands, I'm sure there are use cases that would support them. If there aren't, then there's no harm either, but at least they are available as an option.

Thanks for listening and being so responsive.
Stach

Long Ranger

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have Sentry configured not to turn on at home (in order to save battery), but at night it could be useful to turn it on (most crime happens at night) and then also turn it off in the morning after I'm awake.
I do the same with Sentry Mode. Car is parked in my driveway, not garage. I don't want to record all the comings and goings in my driveway during the day, so I toggle Sentry Mode on every night.

Love

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ok, even though game of thrones has stopped, it appears that winter is still coming this year. Last winter I wrote a simple application dubbed TeslaTasks that makes it possible to schedule heating (and charging) your Tesla from a Google calendar. Back then I needed testers, because the Tesla API turned out to be not impressively stable. But it seems things are stable now, so we can really unfreeze our cars coming winter. TeslaTasks is free (as in beer), so if you like to stay in bed while your car is preheating...

View attachment 29817

I've created TeslaTasks initially just for myself, but the effort of making it usable for more people was not that big, so why not be a social human and share. Yes, registering requires trust by the owner of the car, and it is something that everyone needs to decide for him/herself if it is worth the risk. I have blogged about it, but it is what we have to live with, it simply is the way Tesla created their API. You can always temporarily change your password, and after registering with TeslaTasks change it back. Oh, Zac from now-you-know has tested it, and I still don't know his password. :)
Amazing work!

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Excellent and looking forward to it!
You have to bear with me for a little bit, I'm in the process of "maturing up" the code base. Up until now it was "let's see if this works", well, it does. So I'm adding unit test to make sure things don't break when I add new features.

Stach

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That sounds great as I'm all for nice clean code. It would be interesting if you could post some simple statistics on your website as well, kind of like McDonald's old "xx billion served" (number of users and number of commands issued).

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Ah, that would be something totally at the bottom of the TODO list, but right now there are 31 cars in the system.

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Ok, you should now be able to set "sentry" in an appointment, which will enable and disable sentry mode.
And you should be able to specify "lock doors", which will lock the doors when the appointment starts.
You can combine instructions, so an appointment with "lock doors, sentry" should work fine. (I tested it of course)

Last edited:
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Sorry to bug you,

Works beautifully thanks so much, are the titles CAP sensitive? So, add Sentry, just type - sentry? Charge 90%?
It should no longer be case sensitive, it was before, but I've rewritten the recognition code a few days back.

Considering adding conditions, something like "if-temp < 78" or "if-charge < 20%", so you can say "temp=85 if-temp < 78" (no idea if those value makes sense BTW :-D )
Still doubting if conditions add value, and what the best notation would be.