Tesla's Communications About New Firmware Updates

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Samsaggace

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@garsh I let you with your confidence!
I am quite sure that Tesla will quickly resize their tools for their increasing number of cars.
@Maynerd I fully agree with you. Nothing catastrophic but something to improve...

hdgmedic

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Or they can leave it the way it is. Because....well....no one is close to doing what they are doing. That and we sound like a bunch of entitled whiners wondering why that raise we just got was only 4% instead of 5%.

Maynerd

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Or they can leave it the way it is. Because....well....no one is close to doing what they are doing. That and we sound like a bunch of entitled whiners wondering why that raise we just got was only 4% instead of 5%.
They have to innovate, be different and excel over the competition or the major car companies will eat them alive. As I've stated before, improving communication to their customers not only increases satisfaction with their owners but also helps Tesla's bottom line.

Samsaggace

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
They have to innovate, be different and excel over the competition or the major car companies will eat them alive.
Yes, you’re right! It’s not a question of « pro » or « against » Tesla. It’s just pointing an improvement area.
When you’re the best, being overconfident is not the right attitude!

airj1012

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Also I find it a bit aggravating with the amount of public advertising Tesla is doing about these new features yet hasn't really started to roll them out due to bugs. I understand you want the PR to go before the roll out, but maybe start the advertising once you've greenlighted the mass roll out. The advertisements will still hit well before the majority of the fleet will have the updates and those that don't have the car won't know any better. It's been 10 days since Tesla advertised Sentry Mode on their blog, but still a massive amount of the owners don't have the update.

JWardell

TOO Master Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Also I find it a bit aggravating with the amount of public advertising Tesla is doing about these new features yet hasn't really started to roll them out due to bugs. I understand you want the PR to go before the roll out, but maybe start the advertising once you've greenlighted the mass roll out. The advertisements will still hit well before the majority of the fleet will have the updates and those that don't have the car won't know any better. It's been 10 days since Tesla advertised Sentry Mode on their blog, but still a massive amount of the owners don't have the update.
??? Tesla literally has never had advertising

airj1012

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes, poor choice of words on my behalf.

02/13 - Dog Mode - YouTube

02/13 - Sentry Mode - Blog

02/22 - Sentry Mode - Instagram

With potentially less than 1% of the fleet with these features.

JWardell

TOO Master Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Advertisements in the sense of the mass email talking about the feature and a youtube video playfully demoing the feature.
Yes, poor choice of words on my behalf.

02/13 - Dog Mode - YouTube

02/13 - Sentry Mode - Blog

02/22 - Sentry Mode - Instagram

With potentially less than 1% of the fleet with these features.
Isn't it best to inform your users before they are given something new?

This is no different than any other new feature which was introduced weeks/months ahead of time.

Yes, it's a little frustrating being impatient and containing your excitement, but it's best for everyone if things are well tested and understood before they fall into everyone's hands.

Last edited:

airj1012

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes but I would shorten the timeline between showing it off like this and releasing it.

Most times Tesla doesn't show off new features so they don't really have a standard.

Completely agree on squashing all the bugs.

Bernard

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
SO first of all, it's tongue and cheek. But if we want to get real here, they could trigger the email when your car is flagged to get the update. They could have a clear order on how people get the update, instead of it being seemingly random. Lastly, they've been testing the navigate feature for a while now, no reason to throttle these updates. Release it to everyone all at once, hell they could even prioritize it for people on wifi. There's still some people who had not received the original V9 update.
You do realize that most Tesla cars differ slightly from each other, right? Tesla constantly improves/updates the hardware on the production line. So the same firmware may not go right away to all cars -- it's not just a matter of the HW version (0, 1, 2, 2.5, and now 3.0), but also of other features. (It's still true today that some of the wide releases go mostly to Model 3, and other go mostly to Models S and X.) Next, Tesla cannot guarantee a date for the update to your car, as it has to go over LTE or wifi, and that means it will depend on where your car is travelling, parked, etc. Next, it pushes regional updates -- for instance we Hawaiians (and I think also South Floridians) never got the "winterization" firmwares. And there are yet other considerations.

So, sure Tesla keeps track of which car will get which update, but then it has to schedule massive pushes over the net (or worse, over the air) of large files, only to find that some of them did nor get through (that still happens, even today, and much more so with mobile targets that may not communicate during the crucial period). Think of upgrades to your phone: you don't get them advertised, then pre-scheduled, then sent exactly on the advertised hour, do you? And that's for devices that get abandoned by their manufacturers (no more upgrades) 2-3 years after their first release...

Finally, the pace of firmware upgrades is bound to slow down as the software matures -- early releases occurred every 2-3 weeks, sometimes twice a week. It's a sign of growing confidence (and growing difficulty in improving the performance) that they are now much rarer. (I've have just one upgrade since last November, and that was a beta firmware for testing.)

Bernard

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sorry no free passes just because it's Tesla. They can do a better job it isn't hard. They are being lazy. And I agree with you, it is about expectations, they should be setting proper expectations and people would have less leg to stand on when bitching. That includes me. :)
Laziness is definitely not in the picture here. Tesla is overoptimistic when it comes to timelines -- reflecting its leading light, Elon ;-) That's an almost defining characteristic of the company -- most of us have grown to at least tolerate it, perhaps even love it. They are proud of what they do, they want to let you know they are working on even better stuff, b ut when asked when it will be released, they almost always err on the side of too early. Factor that in, and you should no longer have any reason to complain ;-)