Teslarati confirms high expectations

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Now the local gasoline stations... will suffer. But the stations may pivot to sell electric juice and coffee.
Some will. Since most EV charging is done at home for local driving, we won't need *nearly* as many charging stations as we require gas stations. The majority will go out of business. Or convert to be only a convenience store.

Topher

Energy Curmudgeon
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
that lower gasoline demand simple means the refineries of the world simply adjust their fractionating columns to produce more chemical stocks and less fuel stocks.
I think the word 'simply' is inappropriate in this sentence, but agree oil has other places to extract wealth before it dies.

Thank you kindly.

Country
Country
I think the word 'simply' is inappropriate in this sentence, but agree oil has other places to extract wealth before it dies.

Thank you kindly.
After having operated fractionation columns personally, I know how easy it is to adjust the operating conditions. It is quite simple to do. What is it about that word that you think is "inappropriate"?

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I wouldn't call this a car that "anyone can afford" because it's not, but if I suddenly think I have earned some kind of status by purchasing a car that 400,000 people have purchased I may be misguided.

So much ignorance out there.

Maybe as I have aged (and I'm still relatively young at 32), I have come to the realization that a car is for me and my family and not for anyone else. I am getting the car I want to drive and being seen in said car has no bearing on my purchase decision. For me this car is important because: I like the way it looks, it's "cool" from a techy nerd perspective, its safe (2 little ones will be in the back seat a lot, its fast (instant torque is fun!), it's good for the environment (because why wouldn't you want that in the end), and it's part of a bigger purpose (note I am a big believer in Elon and his vision). Nothing on that list suggests I want this car so that I can drive with the windows down and make sure everyone I drive past knows its me (though they'll see my Tesla grin anyway I'm sure).

It's funny, in college I had a relatively new Audi A4. A girl that I was interested in at the time dismissed my car as being inferior to a BMW 3 series that was roughly 10 years older than my Audi at the time. I remember that moment and realizing that in her mind a BMW was superior to an Audi, so even though my car was 10 years newer, had a fresher design, bigger rims, newer tech, etc.; in her eyes it was a competition of the tiny badge on the hood and trunk.

Last edited:

3Victoria

When Petroleum comes out of the ground, it is separated into a natural gas stream, a crude oil stream, and a waste/brine water stream. Petroleum from Pensilvania has long chain carbon molecules that make great lubricants, but have only a small gasoline fraction. West Texas crude have a heavy tar fraction, a modest gasoline fraction, but enough branch chain HC to be great petrochemical feedstock. Middle east crude have a higher gasoline fraction, and a lower heavies end.
These different crudes suggest that lower gasoline demand simple means the refineries of the world simply adjust their fractionating columns to produce more chemical stocks and less fuel stocks. I don't see the petrochemical industry having much heartburn over the loss of gasoline sales. They get to sell to a more profitable user.
Now the local gasoline stations, the fuel hauling trucks, and gas tax collection points will suffer. But the stations may pivot to sell electric juice and coffee. The tax man will find a way to pay for the roads. The truckers may have to find a different load to haul in a different direction, but only the tanks themselves will become obsolete.
The oil business won't be hurt, won't dry up and go away. It will simply pivot to other fractions.
While the refineries can modify their 'streams', that doesn't mean that there is demand for those streams. Gasoline takes a very large bite of the oil production, and a reduction of gasoline demand will have significant effects on oil production. Keeping that oil available for more useful products than burning it as fuel is all to the good.

Country
Country
While the refineries can modify their 'streams', that doesn't mean that there is demand for those streams. Gasoline takes a very large bite of the oil production, and a reduction of gasoline demand will have significant effects on oil production. Keeping that oil available for more useful products than burning it as fuel is all to the good.
I never had any trouble selling all the oil I could produce. The trouble was selling it at a price that covered my lifting costs. I had to pump oil out, pump water back in...and the competition had wells that just flowed into a pipeline. Production is price sensitive, so if there is not enough demand for petroleum-feedstock, then the price drops and I shut in my stripper wells.
I see the local gas stations in a different light than I see the oil producing companies. Oil Production will not be hurt by EV Production, as there are too many places to use the oil. Gas stations will shift as customers shift - from selling snacks to ICE to selling snacks to EV (home charging is for Model S, local charging will be for Model 3). The folks that will be hurt by the shift is the gasoline trucking companies. They might have to use their tanks for Milk!!