TeslaCam Viewer Windows Application

• Our merch store is back! Check out our line of quality apparel and accessories featuring the TOO logo. Let us know if you'd like something specific you don't see 👍https://teespring.com/stores/tesla-owners-online-store
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I was looking for a tool to quickly browse and view the TeslaCam recordings and couldn't find anything already out there. I've seen the ffmpeg scripts which are great for creating a final version of something I want to save but I didn't find practical for quickly browsing what was on the drive. So I spent some time to create a simple Windows application to view all the cameras at once in realtime. It's still a little rough around the edges but gets the job done. Feel free to make any suggestions and it's open source so feel free to contribute, too!

TeslaCamViewer on GitHub
TeslaCamViewer V0.4.1 Download

Features
  • View and sync all 3 cameras at once
  • Easily view and sort events on drive
  • Automatically view detected TeslaCam drive on startup
  • Drag any TeslaCam media folders onto window to view
BrowseMenu1_resize.png
PlayMenu1.PNG

Last edited:

RichEV

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
The viewer can't seem to find TeslaCam directory on drive E:

RichEV

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country

eXntrc

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Awesome work @mt09! And thank you for making it open source. I know xaml development quite well so I might contribute at some point if I think of a feature to add.

Thanks for making it and thanks for sharing it!

ooagentmm

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This is awesome. Thank you so much. A cool feature would be pulling from the file info and using that to automatically place a small timestamp overlay onto the footage and then allowing us to save/export that version of the video.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for the feedback guys!

I'll look into the issue with it not finding the TeslaCam drive. I did have a similar issue while testing with one of my drives but it should still work if you drag the RecentClips, SavedClips or individual event folders in.
Multiple playback speed options is a good idea. I usually just scrub quickly through the video but different playback speeds are definitely useful.
I'm also planning to add an option to play the next clip automatically (like a playlist).
I'm hoping to add a 'Render' option and implement one of the ffmpeg scripts.

Rick Steinwand

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Can we mark which videos we want to save via a checkbox on the listing on the left? Then we could delete all the other files with a click and confirm?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I made some updates today to fix the issue with it automatically finding the TeslaCam drive and a first version of playback speed control. The position gets out of sync if the speed is too fast and frames are skipped but seems to work pretty well at reasonable speeds.
PlaybackSpeedMenu.png

Here's the summary of changes:
  • Initial playback speed control (more refinement needed but functioning)
  • Playback option "Automatically Play Next Clip"
  • Fix issue with TeslaCam auto search
The new release (V0.2) is updated in the first post.
Managing files on the drive is a great idea. I'll look into adding saving/deleting options next.

MRinPDX

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

I'll look into the issue with it not finding the TeslaCam drive. I did have a similar issue while testing with one of my drives but it should still work if you drag the RecentClips, SavedClips or individual event folders in.
Multiple playback speed options is a good idea. I usually just scrub quickly through the video but different playback speeds are definitely useful.
I'm also planning to add an option to play the next clip automatically (like a playlist).
Matt, I just tried your app and it is awesome! Thank you.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Is there a trick for it to find your TeslaCam folder? I'm using Windows 10 and my TeslaCam files are on a USB stick. Windows is assigning the USB stick a drive letter but the TeslaCam Viewer doesn't see it. Do I need to move the files off of the USB stick?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had some ideas for a browse interface with thumbnails images I wanted to try out before starting on the file management. I was able to get most of it working and created a new release tonight. :) Main features are displaying thumbnails of each video clip and moving the mouse over the thumbnail from left to right to scrub across the video.
Example here
This works well for getting a quick idea of what's in the clip. You can change the thumbnail size with the slider in the bottom right. Next thing I want to add is selection of which camera to display for the thumbnail.

There may be potential memory limitations depending on your system since it must load the full clip into memory for each thumbnail. It's in a virtualizing panel though, so only the visible thumbnails are loaded. You may have issues if you have some massive screen resolution with the window maximized :D

Is there a trick for it to find your TeslaCam folder? I'm using Windows 10 and my TeslaCam files are on a USB stick. Windows is assigning the USB stick a drive letter but the TeslaCam Viewer doesn't see it. Do I need to move the files off of the USB stick?
I'll look into the TeslaCam auto search again. There may be some issues with it still. You don't need to copy the files off, you can still manually drag the RecentClips or individual folders in SavedClips into the interface. I'll see if I can reproduce it tonight.

agastya

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Worked seamless on Win 10 Pro. Many many thanks!

A suggestion, if I may... Probably have a delete button somewhere which when clicked will trash all 3 files being played. This will help tidying up the drive faster instantly after review

eXntrc

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Nice work @mt09. Wish I'd known you were going to be working tonight before I forked and started contributing. I ended up having to cancel my first PR and try again to get the merge right.

I didn't add anything fancy tonight. Mainly simplified the loading code, got rid of a binding error, and cleaned up a couple places that were throwing silent exceptions. (My drive had some empty folders in it.) But maybe another night I can contribute something more meaningful. I'd like to see a 'maximize camera' feature, which I submitted as a feature request. Oh, and I found some weird issue where sometimes my left cam file doesn't load. I crated an issue for that too.

Thanks again for creating this. It's a very nice app, especially with the latest changes you made in the 3.0 drop.

Keep up the good work!

eXntrc

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'll look into the TeslaCam auto search again. There may be some issues with it still. You don't need to copy the files off, you can still manually drag the RecentClips or individual folders in SavedClips into the interface. I'll see if I can reproduce it tonight.
I might have fixed this in my pull request tonight. Mine was failing to load because of a folder (under SavedClips) with no files in it. The code was trying to read something that didn't exist on the empty file set. I changed the loading code to ignore folders with zero files in them.

I also changed the way drives are enumerated to use a single LINQ statement. It should automatically stop on the first drive found with the TeslaCam folder.