Tesla will never provide any pay-per-use option for Superchargers

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

AEDennis

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I like Electric Jen, but I never say never... I would say that as long as Elon is in charge... It's unlikely.

However, Tesla is a public company and the Board of Directors and shareholders may have something to say about this subject if the cost to supercharge becomes too big a drag on the company's goals.

BigBri

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
^^ is what I was expecting for sure. Why turn down free money? Sure there will be a lifetime pass priced a bit higher then Tesla expects the total lifetime cost of charging will be but there will also be a horde of people that can barely afford the base M3 without any options.

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If this does indeed come to pass then it might make sense to keep the costs of the car down. I'd certainly do pay-per use to the few times I'd use it. I was sure they'd stick to the one-time fee like the early Model S but falls in line with Elon's comment of "decoupling" the Supercharger costs from the car as it is now.

BigBri

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yeah chances are I wouldn't pre-pay for it although chances are I'd use it like a gas station a way.. not that I want to but I'm not going to bother trying to charge at home beyond a standard outlet. Too many costs.

victor

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It's got to be super annoying to be working on a website for a company with secrets who has a hacker fan base.
One shouldn't work on a production website - there is always a test version for this purpose.

Reading open and publicly available information has nothing to do with hackers.

There are still plenty of references to the supercharger payment in style sheets:
Code:
.section-supercharger-payment .card-info-container {
    background-color: #fff;
    border: 1px solid #ccc;
    margin: 0;
    padding: 30px 30px 22px;
    width: 100%;
}

.section-supercharger-payment .card-info-container.cc-credits span {
    color: #333;
    font-family: "Gotham Medium";
    font-size: 15px;
}

.section-supercharger-payment .card-info-container .sc-logo {
    background: #fff url("/tesla_theme/assets/img/own/cc_logos_mytesla.png") no-repeat scroll 0 0 / cover ;
    border: 2px solid #eee;
    display: inline-block;
    height: 30px;
    margin-top: 6px;
    width: 50px;
}

.section-upgrade-block .blocks-container .block.column .supercharge-unlimited-upgrade {
    background: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0) url("/tesla_theme/assets/img/vehicle-badges/unlimited_icon_large.svg") no-repeat scroll 5px 5px;
    height: 160px;
    top: 20px;
    width: 230px;
}
Some images from the Tesla website:

/tesla_theme/assets/img/vehicle-badges/unlimited_icon_large.svg

/tesla_theme/assets/img/own/cc_logos_mytesla.png

Kizzy

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
One shouldn't work on a production website - there is always a test version for this purpose.

[…]
Yes, there are test sites, but it's easy to accidentally or even intentionally include new code/features for later release in the production branch of code, but folks who poke around in the code (what I mean by "hackers") can find it and then you've got to remove it—a pain.