Question Tesla touch up paint which expired in Apr of 2019.

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Tesla blue 3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I noticed some small scratches on my rear bumper I would like to touch up. I a have a bottle of Tesla touch up paint which has an expiration date of Apr of 2019. Does anyone know if there is any chance it is still good? It is too cold to test it here just now.

thanks

jdcollins5

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Chances are it is fine. I would be sure to shake it vigorously for a couple of minutes to be sure it is mixed well. Then try it on a piece of wood or cardboard to test to see if it matches color.

i have had touch up paint much older and it still worked fine,

Tesla blue 3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Chances are it is fine. I would be sure to shake it vigorously for a couple of minutes to be sure it is mixed well. Then try it on a piece of wood or cardboard to test to see if it matches color.

thanks just did not want to mess up my finish.

I am very grateful for the answer.

Last edited:

Jason@FreshStartDetail

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country

I agree. Shake it up, then pull the brush out and see how the viscosity is. If it's thick and stringy you can use lacquer thinner to thin it back down to the desired consistency. Just don't thin it out so much that it is watery. Add a little lacquer thinner at a time and shake it up.

Kizzy

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I didn’t realize that paint could expire! Makes sense, though (the touchup paint that came with my previous car (now at 15 years of age) is tacky as can be now.