Tesla superchargers in the USA

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, five years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to more features on the site. We now offer yearly memberships too! For more information visit this page:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

styleruk

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

Surely this cannot be right? 1,000 supercharger stations in the USA? That's clearly not enough. When you look at the map it seems a lot, but the US is a big place, here in the UK we have over 130 supercharger stations, that works out that the USA has less per capita but how many teslas are sold in the USA compared to UK?

USA 332m people = 1 station for 332,000 people.
UK 68m people = 1 station for 523,000

I would have thought the USA would be further ahead with this, of course I've not looked into the other chargers but I'm betting we have far more per capita than the USA does, they are springing up everywhere. This needs to be pushed faster, otherwise the doomsdayers will say it cannot possibly work. Currently the UK has a target to stop production of fuel cars and this will drive a fast uptake and I can personally say, I have never waited at a Tesla charge point...yet, but I know it's coming as more people buy EVs.
On the other hand, most people I know who buy EVs are buying other manufacturers cars, mercedes, Renault etc...instead of Teslas and they may have a problem first as the swarms of people with their new EVs find places to plug in, that puts tesla owners in a better position as we have our own charger network, that might win sales in the future (next few years).
But the USA? can someone confirm this, there are only 1,000 stations available?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: JWardell

FRC

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

Surely this cannot be right? 1,000 supercharger stations in the USA? That's clearly not enough. When you look at the map it seems a lot, but the US is a big place, here in the UK we have over 500 supercharger stations, that works out that the USA has 3.5x less than you UK and that's just for Telsa...surely there are far more teslas in the USA?

UK 68m people = 1 station for 136,000

I would have thought the USA would be further ahead with this, of course I've not looked into the other chargers but I'm betting we have far more per capita than the USA does, they are springing up everywhere. This needs to be pushed faster, otherwise the doomsdayers will say it cannot possibly work. Currently the UK has a target to stop production of fuel cars and this will drive a fast uptake and I can personally say, I have never waited at a Tesla charge point...yet, but I know it's coming as more people buy EVs.
On the other hand, most people I know who buy EVs are buying other manufacturers cars, mercedes, Renault etc...instead of Teslas and they may have a problem first as the swarms of people with their new EVs find places to plug in, that puts tesla owners in a better position as we have our own charger network, that might win sales in the future (next few years).
US has 1005 superchargers. UK has 71 superchargers. Perhaps you're comparing US superchargers to UK supercharger stalls. At any rate you can find lots of detail about superchargers worldwide at supercharge.info

• Agree
Reactions: Long Ranger

Bigriver

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
A quick google search did not come up with the total number of SC stalls in the US. A lower estimate would be 8 stalls per location, so over 8000 stalls. New installations sometimes have 16 (or more) so it is possible we are near 10,000 SCs.

I recommend supercharge.info too. I look at it weekly hoping to see new additions or progress on sites that impact me.

shareef777

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
207 actually.
Referring to the actual stalls. Tesla refers to the SC term as per stall (ie, there’re 20k+ global SC). We need a better way to differentiate between SC locations and SC stalls.

Though based off that 207 number, means CA is closer to 2k+ stalls 😳

FRC

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Worldwide, each supercharger averages around 9 stalls per supercharger. I can't locate the data, but I would bet CA averages a bit more than 9. So, I think you're right at 2000 stalls or more in California.

styleruk

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Correction on UK, it's about 130 'stations' which makes it less per capita than the USA. Have corrected my post. That makes more sense. But still, 1,000 charge stations in the USA still seems low compared to how many teslas sold.

Not sure what people mean with 'stalls'. When I say supercharger station, one station can have 5 or 20 singular charge points, so 1000 charge stations could easily mean 10 or 20k charge points. I'm talking places to go for super chargers, regardless of how many there are there. If you live 100miles from a station that has 50 charge points, it's still less useful than a station that has 5 charge points up the road.
So 1000 charge 'stations', can that be right?

FRC

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
What you call a charge station is commonly called a supercharger. A supercharger may having a varying number of stalls(what you are calling charge points). 1005 superchargers in the US should equate to around 10,000 stalls.

71 superchargers in the UK equals around 500-600 stalls.

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Surely this cannot be right? 1,000 supercharger stations in the USA? That's clearly not enough. When you look at the map it seems a lot, but the US is a big place, here in the UK we have over 130 supercharger stations, that works out that the USA has less per capita but how many teslas are sold in the USA compared to UK?

UK 68m people = 1 station for 523,000

If you think that these number look bad, look at the geography. Some of those holes you see in the US can fit multiple UKs.

Tesla seems to build chargers based on two priorities, long distance travel (for the US, Interstate coverage) and then Tesla vehicle density.

But you seem to be thinking that you can only charge a Tesla at a Supercharger. This is far from reality, I rarely charge at a Supercharger. I mainly charge at home. I also use non-Tesla locations. I need Superchargers mainly when travelling long distances.

• Agree
Reactions: Mr. Spacely

Bigriver

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
What you call a charge station is commonly called a supercharger. A supercharger may having a varying number of stalls(what you are calling charge points). 1005 superchargers in the US should equate to around 10,000 stalls.

71 superchargers in the UK equals around 500-600 stalls.
I always find your clarifications clarifying, until I read this one! I have never once referred to a shopping center parking lot with an 8-pack of Tesla supercharging devices as ONE supercharger. Without hesitation I would say there are 8 superchargers there. Regular traveling questions in my house: how many super chargers were occupied? Were any of the super chargers down? That damn truck was blocking 3 of the super chargers. (Ok, not a question.)

Referring to the actual stalls. Tesla refers to the SC term as per stall (ie, there’re 20k+ global SC).
Yep, totally agree. Tesla refers to each stall as a supercharger and then refers to supercharging sites and the supercharging network.

If you live 100miles from a station that has 50 charge points, it's still less useful than a station that has 5 charge points up the road.
There is certainly a need for more supercharger locations in the US to facilitate the multitude of routes that can occur with long distance travel, but as Ed noted, the need isn’t relative to where we live. I think most current Tesla owners in the US have home-based or work-based (usually L2) charging for daily needs. I rarely have a problem with all of the supercharger stalls being occupied, but because it can happen, I do prefer sites with at least 8, which is currently adequate in my US travels that are predominantly the Midwest.

Long Ranger

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Correction on UK, it's about 130 'stations'
You’ve revised the UK number from 500 down to 130, but where are you getting 130? Per supercharge.info there are 72 superchargers in the UK and 1008 in the US.

• Agree
Reactions: FRC

mrau

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Tesla is making nice progress with the SC network. Still many large SuperCharger gaps in the USA. It will be nice when there is a SC within 25 miles no matter where you are. Then there will always be one on the way to where you are going.

If you build it..... they will come. (Couldn't resist. Today is Opening Day for baseball.)

FRC

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
If you build it..... they will come. (Couldn't resist. Today is Opening Day for baseball.)
No need to apologize for this statement, I believe it's very true in relation to the supercharger network. Without a robust charging network I would never had purchased a Tesla. And now, until competitors respond with a reliable fast charging network, I'm stuck as a Tesla customer.

styleruk

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
You’ve revised the UK number from 500 down to 130, but where are you getting 130? Per supercharge.info there are 72 superchargers in the UK and 1008 in the US.
There are 130 stations in the UK, let's not mix our numbers here. Not superchargers, stations. Like a petrol station, or gas station. It has some pumps. So a station could have 3 or 15 superchargers. The link below shows the UK numbers of around 130, although there are more being commissioned and this is out of date slightly. eg, there is one about 20miles from my house that has 16 120kW chargers + 6 Tesla superchargers, these are popping up everywhere in the UK to react to the quick influx of EV cars, Mercedes, Vauxhall, VW are all selling EVs at a massively increasing rate as PHEV and EVs start making their way through the models people want. So I expect the UK to have many other chargers that thankfully, my car can use as well. (apart from them Porsche ones).

Like most people, I charge at home. I have the advantage of charging on solar as I have panels and a battery in my house, I can also charge at work for free and I've only used superchargers a handful of times. I count myself lucky and have had EVs for 7 years, so I'm a relatively early adopter compared to people around me, but most people around me have a rented house or live in a flat (apartment), so they really don't have that option. First answer is, don't get an EV then. But then as the prices come down in line with petrol and diesel cars (eg Mini), the choices will start to shift to EVs for these people, then they will lean heavily on charge stations several times a week. Maybe in the USA it is very different and I'm not sure if the US has the same 2030 ban on petrol cars looming over them but I still think that with Tesla being the biggest EV seller in the USA, it would be a bigger uptake on stations.
Maybe there is a massive amount of other chargers in the US like in the UK, for example, most Tesco superstores (grocery store), have chargers, I always plug into them and have done for the past 5 years, 1 hour of shopping and I've topped up, apart from my own, (which is also rented out when I'm not using it), I can travel 3miles in any direction to find a charger, admittedly there needs to be more, but it's keeping up with the 180% increase in EV sales over here. I guess geographically as some people have mentioned, it's very different in the USA, we are more compact in many ways and don't have these long routes between populated areas and cities.
I still find it amazing that if you zoom up on the USA to the same scale as the UK, we are peppered with tesla charge stations, yet, Tesla is the biggest one in the USA.

Reactions: Bigriver

Long Ranger

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
There are 130 stations in the UK, let's not mix our numbers here. Not superchargers, stations. Like a petrol station, or gas station. It has some pumps. So a station could have 3 or 15 superchargers. The link below shows the UK numbers of around 130,
I’m just questioning your 130 number. We’re talking the same thing whether you refer to it as a supercharger station, supercharger site, or supercharger. Neither of us is talking about the number of individual stalls.

The link you provided shows 113 supercharger sites and 36 of those are listed as “coming soon”, so that’s only 77 UK supercharger sites that actually exist. Supercharge.info says it’s 74. Just not seeing where you got 130, that’s all.

• Agree
Reactions: FRC

styleruk

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I’m just questioning your 130 number. We’re talking the same thing whether you refer to it as a supercharger station, supercharger site, or supercharger. Neither of us is talking about the number of individual stalls.

The link you provided shows 113 supercharger sites and 36 of those are listed as “coming soon”, so that’s only 77 UK supercharger sites that actually exist. Supercharge.info says it’s 74. Just not seeing where you got 130, that’s all.
Oh I see, I was using zap map. I guess they are not all registered as up and running yet. Not sure why, but I see your point. even though, I still expected to see a far higher number in the USA.

FRC

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Infrastructure build out is the one area in which I think Tesla is doing a SUPERB job, and an area in which the competition lags hopelessly behind. In the US, Tesla has pretty much finished covering the entire interstate system with superchargers at intervals of 100 miles or less. Currently, they are increasing coverage at the rate of about 30% more superchargers per year. In 2020, they opened a new supercharger in North America every day and a half on average, or put another way, a new stall about every 4 hours. And this build-out pace seems to be further ramping up.

Over the last 3 years I have road tripped every state in the US except Arizona and California, and all the western provinces in Canada. I have yet to wait for a supercharging stall to come available, and I've only had to share power with another car 3 or 4 times. I understand that California has experienced some overcrowding issues, but I'll have to let someone else speak to that.

Overall, Tesla has provided more than enough superchargers for the current fleet in the US, and they continue to expand the system in anticipation of future growth. So, in this regard, I for one give Tesla a hearty "Well done chaps!".

shareef777

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Infrastructure build out is the one area in which I think Tesla is doing a SUPERB job, and an area in which the competition lags hopelessly behind. In the US, Tesla has pretty much finished covering the entire interstate system with superchargers at intervals of 100 miles or less. Currently, they are increasing coverage at the rate of about 30% more superchargers per year. In 2020, they opened a new supercharger in North America every day and a half on average, or put another way, a new stall about every 4 hours. And this build-out pace seems to be further ramping up.

Over the last 3 years I have road tripped every state in the US except Arizona and California, and all the western provinces in Canada. I have yet to wait for a supercharging stall to come available, and I've only had to share power with another car 3 or 4 times. I understand that California has experienced some overcrowding issues, but I'll have to let someone else speak to that.

Overall, Tesla has provided more than enough superchargers for the current fleet in the US, and they continue to expand the system in anticipation of future growth. So, in this regard, I for one give Tesla a hearty "Well done chaps!".

THIS is the message that needs to be spread so that those without home charging options can truly understand that an EV (specifically a Tesla) IS still a viable alternative to an ICE vehicle. Not saying that it's a better option for everyone, especially if cost is the number one factor, barring that it's definitely an option.

Reactions: Nom, garsh and FRC