Tesla Service Center Repair Experience(s)

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
I was at my local Tesla service center yesterday to have a few issues addressed and I wanted to share the experience to those that are not yet owners. I haven't yet used the Tesla Mobile repair service so perhaps @SoFlaModel3 can add to this thread since he had a recent Mobile service call.

I can't speak for all of the Tesla Service Centers but their location in Syosset in Long Island, NY is has pros and cons. The employees are AWESOME and overworked! They are friendly and try to go the extra mile but sometimes issues get overlooked if they don't make it into the computer when the car is dropped off. Make sure the service advisor types every issue into the computer or the tech in the back won't know it needs to be addressed. Shout out to Jason who is GREAT and very knowledgeable. He was very upfront in saying that a lot of times, Tesla fanatics and forum members bring cars to them with solutions or updates that even they haven't been made aware of. He doesn't blow smoke at you like I've seen many Tesla employees do.

This facility is a smaller one compared to some of the others I've visited on Supercharger stops. There's only 4 Superchargers at this location and they are almost always full and don't charge as quickly as those in other locations. I've seen the car jockeys use the superchargers to charge cars that are there for service. There is only one parking lot which is where the supercharger is located so anyone can drive in and leisurely browse any new Model 3s that have been dropped off ready to be prepped. Unlike some other dealer service centers, there is no drive in intake area shielded from the elements. At this location, you have to park in the crowded lot where there often aren't any open spots and walk at least 200-300 feet through the elements to speak the staff inside. Hopefully this will change if they open another location or move. Inside, they have clean restrooms, free wifi, free bottled water and a KCup machine with a decent selection. There are comfortable chairs and TVs and lots of electric plugs and tables are available to do work if you are waiting.

In my trip yesterday, one of my parking sensors was starting to fall into the bumper as if the bracket keeping it in place was dislodged. They told me it was about an hour worth of work to take the bumper off and fix the bracket. No big deal. The other issue I had was I couldn't get my door to "auto present". The S and X have automatic opening doors and can be set to open automatically when the car senses the keyfob approaching the door. On an AP1 Model X loaner, I found that I really liked the feature but I wasn't able to figure out a way to activate it on my AP2 car. It turns out there is a Service Bulletin out for this issue and as soon as I mentioned it to Jason, he knew EXACTLY what the problem was. The technician that went with me to look at the parking sensor wasn't aware of the Service Bulletin and had me do a reset with no results.

This repair would involve replacing the receiver antenna and possibly the module located in the driver's door and require dismantling the door and the carpet. A 4 hour job estimate. Being that driveability and safety aren't affected, I set an appointment for 3 weeks from now to bring it back and get a loaner. This service center has a small fleet of Teslas for loaners and also uses luxury rentals from Enterprise. They said that they've loaned out BMW7 series in the past and that Enterprise also has Teslas for loaner. Alas, no Model 3s yet to loan out (I did ask)

After setting an appointment which was offered to me at 30 minute intervals, you receive an email to the address on file with Tesla that confirms your appointment and a link in the email to add the event to your calendar. Two days before the appointment, you get a reminder email and IIRC there is a phone call as well. Because my phone calendar is synced to the car, I get another reminder on the day of the appointment when I get in my car. I'm not sure if the car would automatically dislpay a reminder if your phone calendar wasn't linked to your car but as the Model 3 uses your smartphone as a key, I imagine 99.9% of people would be syncing their phones with their cars anyway.

EB19FBCD-5D9E-43A5-965D-384F44D48A11.jpeg

F66CAD95-780B-442F-9092-9F97E53E4F72.jpeg

When your car is there for service, the service center communicates with you by texting your phone with updates. It is a 2 way text so if you have questions or want an update, you can respond to the text and the Service Center staff responds to you pretty quickly. The Tesla is returned to you washed and charged if it was there overnight. When was the last time your ICE was returned to you with a full tank after a service?

I LOVE the Tesla service experience and these guys understand that customers are early adopters and are part of the solution in making a better car. Tesla uses email and texting in a useful way to keep owners in the loop and the staff tries to do the best they can even though they may be understaffed.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Great post!

My experience, while limited has been great. My mobile tech gave me his cell number and said he can do anything the car needs from my office parking lot or home (can’t beat that).

I do have concerns over what happens with more 3’s on the road and volume they can’t handle but hopefully the car remains low maintenance and it’s a non-issue!

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I was at my local Tesla service center yesterday to have a few issues addressed and I wanted to share the experience to those that are not yet owners. I haven't yet used the Tesla Mobile repair service so perhaps @SoFlaModel3 can add to this thread since he had a recent Mobile service call.

I can't speak for all of the Tesla Service Centers but their location in Syosset in Long Island, NY is has pros and cons. The employees are AWESOME and overworked! They are friendly and try to go the extra mile but sometimes issues get overlooked if they don't make it into the computer when the car is dropped off. Make sure the service advisor types every issue into the computer or the tech in the back won't know it needs to be addressed. Shout out to Jason who is GREAT and very knowledgeable. He was very upfront in saying that a lot of times, Tesla fanatics and forum members bring cars to them with solutions or updates that even they haven't been made aware of. He doesn't blow smoke at you like I've seen many Tesla employees do.

This facility is a smaller one compared to some of the others I've visited on Supercharger stops. There's only 4 Superchargers at this location and they are almost always full and don't charge as quickly as those in other locations. I've seen the car jockeys use the superchargers to charge cars that are there for service. There is only one parking lot which is where the supercharger is located so anyone can drive in and leisurely browse any new Model 3s that have been dropped off ready to be prepped. Unlike some other dealer service centers, there is no drive in intake area shielded from the elements. At this location, you have to park in the crowded lot where there often aren't any open spots and walk at least 200-300 feet through the elements to speak the staff inside. Hopefully this will change if they open another location or move. Inside, they have clean restrooms, free wifi, free bottled water and a KCup machine with a decent selection. There are comfortable chairs and TVs and lots of electric plugs and tables are available to do work if you are waiting.

In my trip yesterday, one of my parking sensors was starting to fall into the bumper as if the bracket keeping it in place was dislodged. They told me it was about an hour worth of work to take the bumper off and fix the bracket. No big deal. The other issue I had was I couldn't get my door to "auto present". The S and X have automatic opening doors and can be set to open automatically when the car senses the keyfob approaching the door. On an AP1 Model X loaner, I found that I really liked the feature but I wasn't able to figure out a way to activate it on my AP2 car. It turns out there is a Service Bulletin out for this issue and as soon as I mentioned it to Jason, he knew EXACTLY what the problem was. The technician that went with me to look at the parking sensor wasn't aware of the Service Bulletin and had me do a reset with no results.

This repair would involve replacing the receiver antenna and possibly the module located in the driver's door and require dismantling the door and the carpet. A 4 hour job estimate. Being that driveability and safety aren't affected, I set an appointment for 3 weeks from now to bring it back and get a loaner. This service center has a small fleet of Teslas for loaners and also uses luxury rentals from Enterprise. They said that they've loaned out BMW7 series in the past and that Enterprise also has Teslas for loaner. Alas, no Model 3s yet to loan out (I did ask)

After setting an appointment which was offered to me at 30 minute intervals, you receive an email to the address on file with Tesla that confirms your appointment and a link in the email to add the event to your calendar. Two days before the appointment, you get a reminder email and IIRC there is a phone call as well. Because my phone calendar is synced to the car, I get another reminder on the day of the appointment when I get in my car. I'm not sure if the car would automatically dislpay a reminder if your phone calendar wasn't linked to your car but as the Model 3 uses your smartphone as a key, I imagine 99.9% of people would be syncing their phones with their cars anyway.

View attachment 5784

View attachment 5783

When your car is there for service, the service center communicates with you by texting your phone with updates. It is a 2 way text so if you have questions or want an update, you can respond to the text and the Service Center staff responds to you pretty quickly. The Tesla is returned to you washed and charged if it was there overnight. When was the last time your ICE was returned to you with a full tank after a service?

I LOVE the Tesla service experience and these guys understand that customers are early adopters and are part of the solution in making a better car. Tesla uses email and texting in a useful way to keep owners in the loop and the staff tries to do the best they can even though they may be understaffed.
Thanks for the great write up. It's nice to know that the Tesla service experience also exceeds most ICE dealerships. Not to nitpick but I do need to make one correction, only the X has auto presenting doors. It's never been an option on the S and one of the main reasons I'd buy an X if I could afford it. Talk about living in the future, to never have to touch the car door would be so cool!

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
I have seen some nicer Tesla service centers that allow you to drive in to check in your vehicle. Unfortunately, the Long Island location doesn't have that yet but the rumor is that they are looking to relocate.

I just dropped off my Tesla for a few small issues and they've made some improvements in the intake process. There is a dedicated intake person that makes sure your issues are documented and now they text you a list of what they will be addressing during your service call:

20180307_113830.png

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had my Model 3 in for service last week. It was clear they were going through growing pains and needed a much larger site/lot to accommodate all the cars. It was bursting with vehicles. The employees were all nice and professional. Communication was great. Unfortunately when I got the car back, despite being washed, the interior was covered with dust. It was flawless when I brought it in. There were several scuff marks on my arm rest which I could not clean off and a dirty hand print on the pass side B pillar. Guessing these issues occurred at the body shop, but someone should have caught and corrected before I got the car back.

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
With all the excitement of all NA reservationists being invited to configure tonight, I want to add another chapter to Tesla service that isn’t so pretty.

My X is in the SvC for the annual maintenance and an error code on my falcon wing door. Taking my own advice, I request a Tesla loaner weeks in advance. Upon taking my car in today, they bring me to a beautiful Blue Model S. Getting in, I notice this is clearly not like the Teslas I’m used to sitting in.

The binnacle display shows an unfamiliar round center dial and all the control stalks are different. I tap the T to check out the cars vitals and it’s a first gen P85+ with no AP! At least it has the latest FW and it’s crazy fast. Hopefully I’ll get my regular car back quickly.... F2670EAD-2F6A-4ED7-9235-8826AB8C661B.jpeg
EEF3C9EA-2DC2-48D5-AE69-8AE828F85D5F.jpeg

30 miles into my loaner I’m on my way home in the dark at 10pm and I start hearing a thumping from the back right wheel. Lovely. I pull over and look at the driver rear wheel first.

66D5A38A-26CD-4CFE-B42F-6E383CD73DCC.jpeg

Looks fine. Then I shine the light on the back passenger wheel. Doesn’t look flat from the sidewall but the tread...

22D98C1F-488E-49AE-BDC5-9C46557C368A.jpeg

Holy CRAP! The sound was a strip of rubber that has peeled away from a CLEARLY misaligned wheel that is showing exposed ply on the inside. I can’t believe they let a car like this out for a loaner. I’m sure @Mad Hungarian can fully explain what’s going on with the screwed up alignment on this wheel but this tire should not be on a car given out as a loaner!

I figure I’m only a few local miles from home so I limp into my driveway and call Tesla Roadside assistance. My first experience with them. I explain my situation and he says he’ll call to have a service provider come out and put a loaner tire on the car for me. GREAT!

I get a call back a few minutes later. None of the service providers in my area have a loaner tire in stock for this car. They can send someone from the SvC to me tomorrow am with a loaner tire or they can tow the car to the SvC tonight and they’ll change the tire tomorrow and I can pick up the car.

Wait! You want to tow the loaner to the SvC so I can pick it up tomorrow after they change the tire? My car is at the SvC and the loaner will be at the SvC. How do I go to the SvC in the AM? I have no car and I need to work. That’s why I asked for the loaner!

I declined all of the options and I’ll just limp to the SvC tomorrow on the way to work. It’s about 10 miles and I can go local so I’ll budget a little more time. This was NOT an ideal first experience with Tesla Roadside assistance. Thankfully the tire isn’t flat and I’m not in a hurry and stranded on the highway but after hours Tesla Roadside service in NY needs some refinement!

Last edited:

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Ok something I haven't seen before but kind of goes with how much actual software stuff that Tesla does that other car companies probably haven't even considered.

I pulled into Tesla service today because I am having my roof replaced on my Model 3. I pulled up to the electric door and it opened and I pulled my car inside. It felt strange to begin with because most repair shops won't let you anywhere near the service bay. It was so strange pulling inside. Anyway when I stopped where indicated I got out of my car and someone immediately walked over to me and greeted me by name. My first reaction was how the heck did he know my name already? I asked him how he knew my name and he got a big smile. Here is where it gets cool and creepy at the same time. I guess the geofencing on the car knows that it is pulling into Tesla service and contacts Tesla that it has arrived. Then on their computer it pops up with my name and info about my appointment without them having to do anything. Talk about a cool way to make things more efficient but creepy at the same time :)

Anyway I guess if I want to go check out a future Tesla by lurking around the service center at night I should take my wife's Honda.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ok something I haven't seen before but kind of goes with how much actual software stuff that Tesla does that other car companies probably haven't even considered.

I pulled into Tesla service today because I am having my roof replaced on my Model 3. I pulled up to the electric door and it opened and I pulled my car inside. It felt strange to begin with because most repair shops won't let you anywhere near the service bay. It was so strange pulling inside. Anyway when I stopped where indicated I got out of my car and someone immediately walked over to me and greeted me by name. My first reaction was how the heck did he know my name already? I asked him how he knew my name and he got a big smile. Here is where it gets cool and creepy at the same time. I guess the geofencing on the car knows that it is pulling into Tesla service and contacts Tesla that it has arrived. Then on their computer it pops up with my name and info about my appointment without them having to do anything. Talk about a cool way to make things more efficient but creepy at the same time :)

Anyway I guess if I want to go check out a future Tesla by lurking around the service center at night I should take my wife's Honda.
That is very cool and I experienced that in Dallas just yesterday, first time stopping by for service. I had an appointment and arrived just a few minutes before. I parked and went inside the door, they told me I can just pull right up the ramp and through a like door you described. I was treated the same way, I was approached and greeted by name. I did have an appointment so they knew I should be stopping by and of course they knew which model and color car I was driving, so I don't know from there about the geofencing, etc. Are you guessing or do you know? Were you there near your appointment time or just stopping by?

I love the way they use technology, but I was also surprised they wanted me to just pull right in. To be honest there is a glass wall right beside where they have you pull in with no real protection, I'm just really surprised someone hasn't hit it.

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
That is very cool and I experienced that in Dallas just yesterday, first time stopping by for service. I had an appointment and arrived just a few minutes before. I parked and went inside the door, they told me I can just pull right up the ramp and through a like door you described. I was treated the same way, I was approached and greeted by name. I did have an appointment so they knew I should be stopping by and of course they knew which model and color car I was driving, so I don't know from there about the geofencing, etc. Are you guessing or do you know? Were you there near your appointment time or just stopping by?

I love the way they use technology, but I was also surprised they wanted me to just pull right in. To be honest there is a glass wall right beside where they have you pull in with no real protection, I'm just really surprised someone hasn't hit it.
Same situation with the glass wall in Austin. I was close to my appt time. I specifically asked how they knew my name and he told me the car uses geofencing to inform them when I got there. I took their word for it. He had all my paperwork ready so I am sure he had some clue.

JimmT

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had my first service center experience today at the Santa Clara service center. It was to buff out some minor paint blemishes; everyone there was super friendly and professional. In and out within 30 minutes and blemishes removed.

theonlysamiam

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Question regarding connection to car while the car is at a service center.

I dropped my car at the service center on Friday, 6/29. Since then, I haven’t been able to connect to my car via the Tesla app. The app says “Updated on June 29, 2018” and that’s it.

Is that normal?

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

I dropped my car at the service center on Friday, 6/29. Since then, I haven’t been able to connect to my car via the Tesla app. The app says “Updated on June 29, 2018” and that’s it.

Is that normal?
That is normal. This prevents summon, honking the horn, turning on systems that perhaps need to be down, etc while its in service.

Point 3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Is that normal?
I was able to watch mine when they had it for service last month.
I could see when they were test driving it, what the speed was, when they were in reverse, and which door they had open at any given time.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
My big concern about the service centers and the mobile service is that we live more than 150 miles, 3 hours drive, and a mountain range away from our nearest service center. It's not the kind of distance where we'll just pop in to have something looked at. And what happens if something serious needs to be fixed? Do any of you have experience with a vehicle problem that far away from a service center? Will mobile service vans travel that far to fix a problem? Who pays if we have to have the vehicle towed 150+ miles?

PandaM3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Contacted Tesla regarding some build quality issues.
- they told me to send pictures so they can figure it out
- sent pictures and they said the parts would need to be changed out
- they setup an appointment for me so that I can get a loaner car and I took the afternoon off from work (so athough I have pto to cover, it still affects my productivity bonus)
- I get to the appointment
1) no loaner cars and offered uber
2) they told me the parts had to be ordered which will take a week but they will send uber to get me so I can get the car the next day... that made no sense... why did they even schedule me? Why even take my car for the night? Everyone there seemed like they where hired as a valet service and now they have to work as service advisors.
3) after seeing other service people lay another customers luggage on the trunk of their car and against the rear bumper of the customers model 3 (looked like it caused damage cause they called a manager out after the owner noticed scratches on the bumper)... I told them to reschedule me after the parts are ordered. And I demanded a hard copy due bill for the parts since they wanted to just email me... good thing I did cause now 2 weeks later no email, no follow up, no reschedule... but I have a hard copy.

I’m just gonna document what needs to be done and have them do it 1 year from now... hopefully they will have their act together by then and have less cars to have to service.

Lovesword

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My big concern about the service centers and the mobile service is that we live more than 150 miles, 3 hours drive, and a mountain range away from our nearest service center. It's not the kind of distance where we'll just pop in to have something looked at. And what happens if something serious needs to be fixed? Do any of you have experience with a vehicle problem that far away from a service center? Will mobile service vans travel that far to fix a problem? Who pays if we have to have the vehicle towed 150+ miles?
I’m about 3 hours away from my nearest service center (more like 2.5 hours in a Tesla!;)). So far it’s been totally fine and I’ve had zero issues. The rangers have come to my house twice for minor things, and the “major” things I had at delivery (cosmetic and a rattle noise), Tesla came to my house, loaded it onto a trailer and then brought it back on a covered trailer when it was done. They even washed and detailed the car. I’ve said it elsewhere before ...it was like delivery day 2.0 for me seeing my beautiful car unloaded from the trailer right in front of my house.

So, minor issues: rangers will visit you
Major issues: I would imagine they would come pick it up
Towing: not sure, I’ve not yet experienced that but I’d guess you’re insurance if you have that coverage or you if not. That’s at least what I’ve experienced with a past vehicle.

Hope this is helpful.

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That is normal. This prevents summon, honking the horn, turning on systems that perhaps need to be down, etc while its in service.
I also noticed something interesting after a SC visit. When I took Quicksilver in for the first service to confirm the vanity lights, A pillar, etc... they took Quicksilver back to check everything and when they finished, the car was pulled up in the service bay exit lane for me to drive home. As I drove out about a mile from the SC, I turned on the radio and I noticed the radio/stereo had no base at all and the sound was awful - meaning, it was like I was listening to old FM radio or something like that. It wasn't until I got home and parked and restart the car did the hi-fi sound returned. I almost call the SC to see why they messed up. :rolleyes: I am thinking the service techs had something to do with the sound system while they were working on the car.

FF35

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Brought my car in 2 weeks ago for the front window, rear window, paint defect and rear wheel squeaking. My car had 200 miles on it at the time. The technician came out, looked at the car and said they'd fix the rear wheel, the paint defect and they'll be ordering new front and rear windows.

Called today for an update. After waiting 22 minutes to get through, the guy who answered the phone said the windows were never ordered and they'll order them today. Thanks for the awesome service Tesla.

I also told him that both passenger side windows roll down for no reason when the car is parked. They may roll down an inch, few inches or all the way. It seems to be completely random. He said to reboot the system. Don't have much confidence in that "fix" but I'll try it.

Anyhow, I've bought 3 new cars in my life. I don't recall any of those cars having any defects upon delivery. I'm not impressed with the service nor the build quality. What worries me more is the longevity of the car.

ravisorg

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I also told him that both passenger side windows roll down for no reason when the car is parked. They may roll down an inch, few inches or all the way. It seems to be completely random. He said to reboot the system. Don't have much confidence in that "fix" but I'll try it.
HA! That used to happen to me the first while too! I thought I was just pressing the buttons by accident when opening or closing the door. Seems to have stopped after the first week or two. Might have been because I learned to stop hitting the buttons, might have been due to a reboot, might have been a software update. Not sure, but don’t lose hope on that one, mine seems fixed one way or the other.

Dano9258

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So I took my model 3 in for a dash pad replacement due to a previously discussed issue with bumps and divets in the pad. They said they had the part ordered and had arrived. When I got there I added in a tire rotation, fixing the transmission lever that kept coming up, and replacing the driver side metal peice that covers the autopilot camera. I dropped it off on Friday and was told it would probably be done the next day or Monday at the latest.

Those days all obviously came and went and I called them Tuesday morning. They stated the dash peice they had ordered to install had a warped plug and had to order another. They said it would be there in the afternoon and the car would be done by the evening. Now it is Wednesday, still no word. I called again and they said they texted me in the morning the status, but I never received any text. They stated they replaced the steering wheel module and were still waiting on the new dash to come in. When asked when I would get my car back, they said they can't give a date/time but would call me when it's ready.

1) Why is the steering wheel module broke and replaced when nothing was wrong with it when I gave it to them.

2) How long am I going to be without my car? This is absolutely ridiculous and unheard of with any other car manufacturer.

I want to love Tesla and I love the car but this experience has honestly turned me against them a little bit. I didn't pay $57000 on a car to not have it and be in the shop. Shouldn't they have examined the dash peiece they ordered to verify it was good when I made the appointment? I purposely had them order the peice so that it could take only 1-2 days only to fix it. Not a week plus however long additional now.

What are my recourses? Anyone else have this happen?