Tesla Service Center Collision Repair Experience - Bumper Color Mismatch

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Country
Country
I'm sharing my collision repair experience for anyone trying to decide whether to have collision repairs done at a Tesla Service Center.

My car - White July 2018 Model 3 LR RWD
Nov 27 - My car is rear-ended after stopping at a red light.
Dec 1 - I made a collision repair appointment with Tesla Service for Dec 12.
Dec 4 - I was passing by the Service Center, so I stopped in to ask about my upcoming appointment. I'm told all is good to go.
Dec 12 - I dropped off car for repairs. I'm told the car may be done the same day, else the next day.
Dec 13 - I text the shop mid-afternoon to check on progress. I am told that the bumper is not in stock and there is no information on how long it may be. I pick up my unrepaired car, since insurance only covers a rental for up to 5 days. (Why did they accept my car when when they didn't have the main part?)
Dec 23 - I text the shop to ask if the bumper has arrived. I am told they have the bumper (why didn't they contact me?). I make the next available morning appointment for Jan 21 (a whole month out).
Jan 21 - I drop off my car for repairs and ask about FSD computer upgrade. They will do it at the same time (cool). I emphasize that I also want any damage found behind the plastic bumper fascia to be repaired.
Jan 22 - I pick up my car and both bumper and FSD upgrade are successfully completed (good). I am told there was no other damage behind the fascia.
Feb 9 - I notice a few bulges have formed in the rear bumper fascia. I suspect unrepaired damage behind the fascia, so I email Tesla Service.
Feb 10 - Tesla Service responds and asks me to bring the car back in.
Feb 11 - I drop off the car again. Tesla Service assures me they will fix whatever is wrong and make sure it is perfect.
Feb 12 - I email the shop late afternoon and I am told the car is ready. I pick up the car right before closing. I am told that there was no other damage behind the fascia and that it was an out of place wiring harness that caused the bulging. They have secured the harness and installed another new replacement bumper. I notice the color of the latest bumper seems a bit off, but hope it's just the twilight and/or needs to be washed. I also notice that the fit along the rear fenders is worse than before. The service center closes before I can point this out to anyone. I leave for vacation the next day, so I decide to deal with the car when I get back.
Feb 24 - I wash the car and confirm that the latest bumper is a different color from the rest of the car; the bumper is much more yellow/pearl. I recall that this was an issue some white cars prior to June 2018, but that Tesla had resolved it by adjusting the paint formula used for the bumpers. Either my latest bumper very old stock, or this bumper paint issue is back. I realize a freshly painted bumper will never be a perfect match to my 1.5 year old car, but this one is way off. The first replacement bumper I had was a good color match.
Feb 25 - I book an new appointment with Tesla Service for Mar 18th, and I email them about the color match issue. . .
Feb 26 - I have not heard back yet. I will keep you posted.

I chose Tesla Service for the repairs because I thought they would have the quickest access to parts, and have the most experience repairing Teslas. Next time, I will try my chances with a Tesla approved autobody shop.

Photos: 1 - First replacement bumper bulge, 2 - Second replacement bumper fender fit, 3 - Second replacement bumper color mismatch in bright sunlight, 4 - Second replacement bumper color mismatch at night.

Attachments

gary in NY

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That's really weird, worse than my experience.

It took the body shop that my SC uses 3 times to get my front bumper facia correct. The SC rejected the first paint job as unacceptable, the second time they painted it the wrong color black, but this last time the stars aligned, and all is right with the world.

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Oh boy. Not feeling confident in going with Tesla now.
I had a pearl white front bumper replacement done at the Marietta, Ga SC with no issues. I believe that issues described by OP are much more an issue with individual Service centers and/or the individuals working there rather that Tesla-wide issues. However, it would be nice if Tesla's quality control extended beyond manufacturing and into the service centers so that we could ALL go to the SC's with confidence.

shareef777

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had a pearl white front bumper replacement done at the Marietta, Ga SC with no issues. I believe that issues described by OP are much more an issue with individual Service centers and/or the individuals working there rather that Tesla-wide issues. However, it would be nice if Tesla's quality control extended beyond manufacturing and into the service centers so that we could ALL go to the SC's with confidence.
Assumed as much. I’m still going with the Tesla shop, but I’d be lying if I said this didn’t worry me. Guess it just means I’ll have to be extra diligent with my check after the work.

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't know for certain, but it looks to me like Tesla ordered the bumper pre-painted, and took for granted that they were shipped the correct one.

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't know for certain, but it looks to me like Tesla ordered the bumper pre-painted, and took for granted that they were shipped the correct one.
My service center manager, being aware the pearl white is a tough match, had three bumpers shipped so he could choose the best match. And, yes, they do ship them pre-painted.