Tesla Service Alternatives

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, five years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to more features on the site. We now offer yearly memberships too! For more information visit this page:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

GostoTeslaMD

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
Hi all. I waited a little longer than I should have to replace my brakes and they need replacement ASAP. I scheduled service with the local Tesla dealer on 1/25/21 and my original appointment was 1/27/21. Since then it has been delayed twice due to the parts not being in stock and my new appointment is 2/25/21. I know Tesla parts are not as readily available as other manufacturers, but having brake pads and rotors back ordered for 1 month seems ridiculous. They are one of the only wear parts on the car!

My question(s) are:

(1) Is this typical with brake replacement on a Tesla Model S?
(2) Are there 3rd party service shops that can do this work and if so how can I find one? (Side note: my local Firestone that replaced my tires said only Tesla can replace the brakes/rotors)

I have a 2017 Model S.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Just about any car shop should be able to handle a brake job on a Tesla. Have you tried calling any?

Reactions: TomT

GostoTeslaMD

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
Just about any car shop should be able to handle a brake job on a Tesla. Have you tried calling any?
I had recently bought new tires from Firestone and had scheduled a brake replacement at the same time. Firestone called me and informed me that they could not do my brakes and only the Tesla shop could do them. I did not check around otherwise but I am doing so now.

Reactions: garsh

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Brakes are brakes. Nothing mysterious about them on a Tesla. Perhaps try an independent garage. National chain like Firestone probably scared of lawsuits.

Bigriver

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
Most Firestones around here won’t touch a Tesla. Something about the battery being too dangerous for their techs. There is one Firestone that I know of that will do Tesla’s.

JasonF

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Most Firestones around here won’t touch a Tesla. Something about the battery being too dangerous for their techs. There is one Firestone that I know of that will do Tesla’s.

I wouldn't even take a gas car to a mechanic which says that. There are two Firestones around me that have no problem with Teslas.

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I tried to take a wheel/tire, already removed from my car, to a Firestone here to have a nail hole patched. They wouldn't patch it because of the sound foam in the tire. Discount Tire patched it, no problem.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I tried to take a wheel/tire, already removed from my car, to a Firestone here to have a nail hole patched. They wouldn't patch it because of the sound foam in the tire. Discount Tire patched it, no problem.
Discount is definitely the tire place of choice for those of us in DFW. I never hear anyone recommend or go to Firestone here. Discount knew how to embrace Tesla and bring in the business

Reactions: iChris93

About us

• Tesla Owners Online © 2015-2021. All rights reserved.
    Tesla Owners Online (TOO) is an enthusiast forum and is not affiliated with Tesla Motors or Official Tesla Owners Clubs.
    All Tesla logos are trademarks or registered trademarks of Tesla Motors.