Tesla Semi

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Marcumar

Country
Country
Watched a lot of Knight Rider and Battlestar Galactica as a kid. And, just that you know, David Hasselhoff is a godlike figure in Germany, after all, he caused the fall of the Berlin Wall with his excellent singing ;)

By the way, music used during the semi event:

Sabotage is now another contender on my first drive playlist, definitely need to look for a smoke machine... :)

Watts4me

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@marcumar,what was the electric music that was being played while we waited for the event to start. The one that played over and over

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So here is a question, if the Semi uses 4 of the motors from the Model 3 but can do 0-60 in 20 seconds while hauling 80,000 pounds. Does that mean it's capable of way more than what it's putting out for the LR Model 3? Seems like the case to me but it's just a guess. I need one of you engineer types here to run the numbers (if possible from the info). I'm just curious how much more this motor is capable of?

Scuffers

Country
Country
So here is a question, if the Semi uses 4 of the motors from the Model 3 but can do 0-60 in 20 seconds while hauling 80,000 pounds. Does that mean it's capable of way more than what it's putting out for the LR Model 3? Seems like the case to me but it's just a guess. I need one of you engineer types here to run the numbers (if possible from the info). I'm just curious how much more this motor is capable of?
In simple terms even if the Motors are exactly the same as the model 3 the Tesla semi doesn't have to do 100+ job, so they will have different gearing.

Country
Country
Tesla Semi all-electric truck to be unveiled in September and be ‘next level’, says Elon Musk

Tesla CEO Elon Musk confirmed today that the company plans to unveiled its all-electric semi truck, called ‘Tesla Semi’, in September.

Tesla Semi truck unveil set for September. Team has done an amazing job. Seriously next level.

— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) April 13, 2017

He also teased that it will be “seriously next level” and briefly discussed the upcoming Tesla pickup truck and next-gen Roadster. more…

Filed under: Electrek

Continue reading...

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Does anyone know what is highlighted here, in all six wheels?
It flashed up quickly on the screen during the presentation but Elon seemed to change direction and it wasn't really discussed.
I assume the mechanical brakes.

Marcumar

Country
Country
@marcumar,what was the electric music that was being played while we waited for the event to start. The one that played over and over
Sorry, sounds like some loop of on commission composed music, couldn't find an exact match. Quite similar to Nigel Stanford's "Automatica", made by Kuka robots that Tesla also uses, e.g. for Model 3 production :)

The intro for Jerome Guillen is this one:

Last edited:

Scuffers

Country
Country
Does anyone know what is highlighted here, in all six wheels?
It flashed up quickly on the screen during the presentation but Elon seemed to change direction and it wasn't really discussed.
Hard to say?

it does look like individual outboard drum brakes...

what I think I can see is De Dion rear axles and what looks to be independant front suspension - this will be a first for a street truck I think?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Brooks at DragTimes has a walk-through video of the semi.
It shows the interior, then some details of the exterior in the rear, including the motors, and all of the cabling in back.

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I've noticed something that everyone seems to miss is the importance of scale when it comes to Tesla's margins. Both drive units (shared between all new Tesla lines) and batteries rely on scale to be affordable. The bigger they go on both, the lower the unit cost, which directly impacts their margins (heavily). If I recall correctly the unit cost on batteries drops something like 15-20% for each doubling of demand. Going into new markets like Powerwalls, Powerpacks, Semi, and (later) the Roadster aren't some "distraction"; they're a way for Tesla to sell more batteries and motors, and thus reduce their unit cost on both, which in turn makes it easier for Tesla to hit its margin goals on the Model 3 and undercut their competitors on price.

The EV market is a "go big or go home" scenario. Tesla thankfully understands this. People (like the author cited in the above article) who worry about "the large amount of scarce batteries that each truck will need" have completely and utterly missed the point. The trucks consuming huge numbers of cells is entirely the point.

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
BTW, for those who haven't seen it yet:

https://electrek.co/2017/11/22/tesla-semi-expected-price-electric-truck/

Regular production versions for the 300-mile and 500-mile range versions will be $150,000 and $180,000 respectively, while the company is also listing a ‘Founders Series’ version for $200,000.
My take on this news:

Average diesel semi is $120k. They knocked this out of the park here.

If we assume a 900kWh pack (1,8kW/mi @ 500mi being the "less than 2kW/mi") and the same margin on the larger pack vs. the smaller one, then the pack has a sale value of $83/kWh and (assuming a 25% margin) a $67/kWh production cost. Blowing away Tesla's old $100/kWh target.

Last edited: