Tesla Semi

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Aren’t there requirements for driver downtime? I’m completely ignorant to the subject, but technically speaking the cab could charge up during that planned downtine? Of course if it’s fully autonomous to start then you erase driver downtime and replace with charge time.

A caller on Ride the Lightning had a neat idea in that a large battery doesn’t take longer to charge, because the packs could have separate chargers, so you would for instance pull up to 10 super chargers simultaneously. Of course he didn’t literally mean you’d make 10 connections, but the concept behind it.

While I’m crazy for my Model 3 and it’s generally all I think about these days, I am very curious to see how the Semi works.

Scuffers

Country
Country
Now, the M3 motor best we know is 258Hp (192Kw), 317 Lb ft (430Nm), however, that's after it's drive gear, so not the actual motors spec (unless the motors only going to reach 4,275 Rpm).
OK, we have a bit more info (from here:)

Motor is 192KW @ 5000Rpm, Max Rpm 15,500
so that implies a torque of 271Lbft up to 5,000Rpm - so motor's base speed is 5,000Rpm.

That's higher torque that I expected, but a relatively low base speed Rpm.

JWardell

TOO Master Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My optimistic imagination is running away again, I am envisioning a Semi event with a dozen Tesla Semis pulling up behind Elon, each pulling loaded car carriers full of Model 3s ready for immediate delivery to real customers.
Immediately followed by much rejoicing and doubling of stock value.

JRP3

Country
Country
Trev hatin' on the semi?

Semi truck unveil still happening amidst Model 3 production hell. Spreading yourselves a bit thin perhaps?
I doubt the people involved at this stage of the semi reveal would have anything to do with the holdups in battery module production issues at the GF.

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm not hating on the Semi truck, I as just pointing out that perhaps Tesla should put all their resources into getting Model 3 ramped up and hold off on any product announcements so things that aren't going to see the light of day for at least 2 years.

I highly doubt after seeing the factory being filled with Model 3 production machinery that they have any more room to make a semi truck production line. They will have the make this truck somewhere else. If it's low volume then they can get away with them being hand built but they still need space to make them.

JRP3

Country
Country
We don't know when they will start actual production of the semi but it's quite possible they will be working with another company and using their facilities for the build. However, delaying the semi reveal yet again would be really bad for Tesla right now. I don' think the reveal is stretching Tesla at all, as I said I doubt the people involved in the reveal would have any input in solving the GF battery module production bottlenecks.

JWardell

TOO Master Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I agree with all the statements here. Remember, Tesla already did delay the Semi announcement to deal with Model 3 issues. There's a good chance they are now nearly resolved and will be by the time of the announcement. Regardless, the announcement does not mean manufacture starts immediately, so aside for a few hours in one evening, the announcement will not take any resources away until Semi production starts.
There is also a good chance they are working with an existing Semi manufacturer and will be having them build it, just like they did with solar panels.
With every passing noisy semi that J-brakes past my bedroom at night, I beg more and more for electric semis to get here ASAP.

mkg3

Country
Country
Love the center driver position. Makes a lot of sense and don't have to have right-hand or left-hand drive models. Looks like passenger seats can be placed behind the driver (like the old McLaren F1).

Has anything been said about where they plan to make this beast!

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Love the center driver position. Makes a lot of sense and don't have to have right-hand or left-hand drive models. Looks like passenger seats can be placed behind the driver (like the old McLaren F1).

Has anything been said about where they plan to make this beast!
Surely Fremont... and motors and packs in the Gigafactory. Why not? My impression has been that they'll deal with a shortage of space at Fremont not by opening different US plants for specific models, but by opening new plants in other countries to produce particular parts of the Tesla model range for their local markets. Asia first, then EU.