Tesla Semi

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

scmaxwell99

Country
Country
I spend most of my driving time on the interstate freeway and of the semi trucks I see, I'd estimate that more than half are short haul and only drive within a set area. fuel tanker trucks (the irony) going from the fuel depot to local gas stations, milk tanker trucks going from farms to dairy plants, retail/grocery trucks going from a regional distribution center to local stores, etc.. Most of those likely spend more time loading/unloading than on the road and may be traveling less than 200 miles a day.
guess you could think if there's a use for a 'in-city' EV car, there could be the same in a semi truck.

From my days working for a grocery store. I know that the drivers can only drive a certain amount of time or miles as a max range. This is for either delivery times or for quality of the product to arrive. The example I had was from Atlanta to Myrtle Beach was at the far reach for territory. Maybe someone else has more knowledge about this and can help clarify.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
That looks seriously "next level". Feels like coming face to face with a true-to-life Optimus Prime in truck mode.

Also makes me regret why didn't I buy more TSLA stock below $300!!

Deadbattery

Country
Country
couple thoughts on Semi...

Batteries will most likely NOT be on trailer. Trailers are often owned separately or leased,
There is plenty of room for batteries on the semi itself. for example with 2 tanks could be upwards of 200 gallons of diesel. or if you did not require sleeping quarters an entire truck condo of space.
don't worry about range. MOST trucks are traveling a prescribed route, will know where next charge/swap point is

Cost per mile will be substantially lower as the efficiency gain of electric will be more obvious in high intensity uses like large trucks. Savings will justify infrastructure investment by users NOT BY Tesla Think large trucking companies like UPS or Roadway station to station or regular routes. This truck will not likely be helpful to owner operators (infrastructure, cost)

a charge could use a different application of existing tech and could be very quick. for simplicity, imagine a truck with 10 stock 100kwh battery packs right off the car line. imagine the truck pulls in and plugs into 10 separate chargers for 20 minutes. 80% charge ready to go. Swapping battery packs or whole tractors possible as well. (so 1GWh ~ $100k?)

trucks are powered for need not for speed, 500-1000 horsepower...so electric motors are a natural torquey solution. no clue if a transmission (transmissions?)

The point is that the limiting factors most people think are limiting aren't

Would love some help around trying to estimate cost per mile/savings for fun... anyone?

Country
Country
Im very interested in the horsepower of this thing. Ive read around 6 m3 motors are going to be in this which is a total of 1548hp. Most semis have around 700!

Watts4me

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Im very interested in the horsepower of this thing. Ive read around 6 m3 motors are going to be in this which is a total of 1548hp. Most semis have around 700!
Horsepower is for speed. I'm more interested in how much torque it will have to pull the loads. I'm sure it will outperform a diesel engine.

JWardell

TOO Master Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I was in the supermarket when the tweet alert popped up on my watch, and I think people wondered why I was yelling at my arm, "That's not September!"

KennethK

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
It is probably in October, since Tesla is having a party to celebrate the opening of the powerpacks delivered to Australia at the end of September, and Elon will be there.

Scuffers

Country
Country
Horsepower is for speed. I'm more interested in how much torque it will have to pull the loads. I'm sure it will outperform a diesel engine.
Sure it will, but your basic premise about horsepower vs. torque is bogus, one is directly related to the other.

you could have a truck with a 10Hp engine that gives 10,000Lbft of torque, however, at 5.25Rpm, it's not much actual use.

we have things called gearboxes that convert torque/speed.

Take a 750Hp truck engine - eg. Volvo D16G750 (551 kW)
Max power at 1600–1800 r/min 750 hp
Max torque at 1050–1400 r/min 3,550 Nm (2,618 Lb Ft)

(that's Before the gearbox and final drive)

All an electric setup needs to match this is a 750Hp (551Kw) motor and appropriate gearing.

All this talk of torque is almost meaningless, without power, you're not going anywhere.

Now, the M3 motor best we know is 258Hp (192Kw), 317 Lb ft (430Nm), however, that's after it's drive gear, so not the actual motors spec (unless the motors only going to reach 4,275 Rpm).

so, if you're going to equivalent the 750Hp Volvo, you're going to need 3 of them, and gear them for the speed/torque required at the wheels.

for ref, Model S&X motors are rated to 18,000 Rpm, (have to assume the 3 will be similar?), that said, no way would you gear it to run at anything like that for a trucks usual working speed range, at a guess, let's say 10,000Rpm for 75Mph.

A take a typical truck tyre - 315/80-R22.5 - 531 turns/mile Max 75Mph, that's 664Rpm at the wheel, so if you gave the motor a 15:1 ratio gearing get's you to 10,000Rpm motor speed.

Assuming the motor is typical of permanent mag motors, their output looks something like this:

and that my 10,000Rpm assumption is at the base speed, it's actual torque output is going to be ~100lb ft per motor, thus with a 15:1 ratio gives 1,500lb ft at the wheel per motor (and I could easily be wildly over optimistic here)

So, even with 3 of these, that's only 4,500lb ft at the wheels, nothing like enough.

Basically, this truck is either going to need a multi-speed gearbox or more motors, I suspect Tesla will have done both.

Last edited: