Tesla Semi is quicker than Model 3? Did I catch that right?

Bruce D

Country
Country
Please tell me I messed up there. 0-60 in 5 seconds? The long-range Model 3 in 5.1 seconds? How can this be? Please tell me a software update is forthcoming.

Gunn

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It's all to do with motors, battery output, cost etc..

The Semi has 4 motors and probably 3x the battery than the 3 ... and the 3 was designed to be cheaper.

slasher016

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I see this as they are sandbagging the Model 3 to keep separation from the Model S. I posted this in another thread but I'd be shocked if the LR Model 3 is as slow as 5 seconds once someone tests it. I suspect it'll be between 4.4 and 4.8 secs.

BluestarE3

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Please tell me I messed up there. 0-60 in 5 seconds? The long-range Model 3 in 5.1 seconds? How can this be? Please tell me a software update is forthcoming.
Yes, but the Semi won't fit in my garage and my neighborhood association doesn't allow large vehicles (motor-homes, large campers/trailers and, presumably, semis) to be parked on the street, so it's a moot point for me. ;)

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Yep. It’s faster by a hair. But keep in mind, that’s unloaded. Not too many trucks will be going faster than the other Teslas since they’ll be hauling trailers with stuff

MichelT3

Love those Aero's!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ha! What I said. Unloaded it's not that strange.

Don't you also find all that belching smoke and burning rubber so very primitive?
It should be outlawed...

Topher

Energy Curmudgeon
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I see this as they are sandbagging the Model 3 to keep separation from the Model S.
We may see a software update, as we did with the S, but not because they are sandbagging (not in Elon's make-up, I suspect), but rather because they are cautious. OTOH, if you think 5.1 seconds is slow...

Thank you kindly.

Daliman

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The power available to that truck is stunning. But it is Model 3 motors and battery packs so it is a brilliant demonstration of what this tech will do. How fast will the dual motor be, well under 5. What is the real range? Time will tell.