Tesla Semi as an RV platform

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Curious to see how many of you there would consider or think it would be feasible to use a Tesla semi as an RV platform? Having seen the truck in person I can't imagine it would be incredibly difficult to stretch the rails and relocate the drive units further back (no drive shaft!).

My wife would consider travelling NA in an EV but she's insistent it would have to be electric.

Thoughts?

TrevP

Founder
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Thanks, fixed the title. My eyesight isn't what it used to be....

BluestarE3

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Maybe if Tesla made this platform available to or in partnership with RV manufacturers. I can't see them trying to develop and manufacture a niche product like this on their own. In addition to Supercharger access presumbly for a Semi-based RV, a lot of campgrounds already have "shore power" to provide charging. It would make one helluva RV!

FRC

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Maybe if Tesla made this platform available to or in partnership with RV manufacturers. I can't see them trying to develop and manufacture a niche product like this on their own. In addition to Supercharger access presumbly for a Semi-based RV, a lot of campgrounds already have "shore power" to provide charging. It would make one helluva RV!
What's the purported starting price of the semi? $250k? By the time you add all the things that make a luxury RV a luxury RV, what might the total price be? $375k+, IDK, mighty pricey!

TrevP

Founder
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Starting price is $190K USD. Too rich for me but just spitballing. Some RVs out there cost a LOT of money...

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Curious to see how many of you there would consider or think it would be feasible to use a Tesla semi as an RV platform? Having seen the truck in person I can't imagine it would be incredibly difficult to stretch the rails and relocate the drive units further back (no drive shaft!).

My wife would consider travelling NA in an EV but she's insistent it would have to be electric.

Thoughts?
I love the idea, but I think it’s a bit of overkill. I think I would be happier with the Tesla Pickup pulling some awesome trailer.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I think it would be a relatively easy conversion in some senses. The drive portions would be the easy part, as would the dash controls. If you put all that in a big (I forget what class) rv and did a full body-builder body around it I don't see it as a problem. If you where talking about taking an actual semi and stretching it, that's a real PITA, even with a regular diesel semi. Using the tesla cab would largely depend on how it's constructed and there's no real info on that yet. But as a powertrain vendor I think it would be easier than cat/cummins/detroit to be honest. I say this as a CDL holder, Semi owner, and model 3 driver.

$ Trillion Musk

Buy XRP world reserve digital currency
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Pure speculation here...

I believe Tesla is working on a self sustaining mobile home solution behind the scenes with its Tesla Tiny House program. Hopefully they have plans for bigger homes as well.

Or if White Knight has enough towing capacity, maybe use it to tow a customized tiny house with a Tesla solar roof + Powerwall. Would be cheaper than customizing a Tesla Semi.

Love

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
The saying goes “A picture is worth a thousand words.” Well, that isn’t enough words for the likes of me! So for my answer to @TrevP ’s question, here is a picture with ADDITIONAL words to it! Hope you enjoy 😊
3e86852f-c7e0-4e6d-930a-54d689120b93-png.23675

Wow! Look at that majestic beast!!! Just look at all amenities it has and IMAGINE all the things you could do with it. Like....

Take it camping:
7bba616d-e033-48f2-b3d0-d9fc77354f51-png.23676

Go and visit one of Elon’s mansions:
71e8fb50-c67c-41bb-9313-084287a554bc-png.23677

Travel across the map to visit close friends:
893c2492-eb20-4914-88ed-42607656530e-png.23678

Or go BEYOND by teaming up with SpaceX, the possibilities are endless!
e803f171-321d-44ba-8f15-e6600600aaab-png.23679

ymilord

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
This is a hot topic on a RV forum I’ve been on for a couple years. The issue is most RV parks offer 30A/220 service. As it sits now the semi uses multiple charging port (pre-megacharger) so at 30A is May take a while to charge.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
The issue is most RV parks offer 30A/220 service. As it sits now the semi uses multiple charging port (pre-megacharger) so at 30A is May take a while to charge.
I would have thought that most people who go to an RV park stay there for several days. So "plugging in" is mostly for making sure your air conditioner works while you stay there.

For any travelling portion of the road trip, you'd want to stop at a mega-charger (or use 6+ superchargers at once).

Love

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Here is a bare bones, no words, no nonsense*, no background copy of my new Tesla RV... ready for everyone to download and put it in the setting of your choice!!!

*ok, some nonsense.

3ec9b5b5-fbeb-436f-ab4b-d0fd3fd2b018-png.23702